Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to ride all summer--it's been a great spring riding season here in VA, but I started to pull out of the drive moving slow(10-15mph) and the motor suddenly started squealing loud. I shut it off in a few seconds so the motor did not seize up, it will crank but I'm afraid to start it--I'm sure there is no oil pressure. The repair manual says that oil pump replacement requires engine removal, so that will end my riding for the future. I will be checking to see if there is a blocked oil pickup somewhere but the oil level was fine,so I don't hold much hope.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Bummer,

But like chop said, don't assume the worst, panic sets in and all but maybbbbbbbbbe it could be something else less deadly.

Others will chime in later that have more expertise than I do but we will hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
like chopin said check the belt first but don't start it

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Normally an engine with no lubrication doesn't squeal, it will start rattling. The only belts on a GL1200 are the timing belts and if they were squealing it wouldn't run. Without hearing the sound it's hard to diagnose. It could be a timing belt tensioner, which wouldn't require engine removal.

This may sound crazy, but did you have the radio on?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies guys---I think I found good news--I just torn down the front fairing and popped off the timing covers, the timing belt WAS in great condition until somewhere somehow a 10mmx3/4 bolt got loose inside the timing cover and lodged between the engine case and timing gear/belt!!! The belt was pushed forward but remained on the gear and the belt was frayed on the inside edge from rubbing the bolt! I guess I got lucky this time. Will order a new belt today!

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Great news, just be sure to find where the bolt came from and re-install it!

If you have a NAPA auto parts store in your area they have the belt for about $15.

·
Registered
62 Posts
good news on your bike. when you find out where the bolt came from, i would put some lock-tite on it. good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For future reference, when replacing a timing belt(in this case the right side) try to make sure you don't bump or move the cam pulley! Well the other side was in great shape so I had to start "counting teeth" to make sure I got it back together on the correct tooth, so ya count the number of teeth from the timing mark to the pulley mark and make the other side match...and start it before you reassemble...it fired up on the first try. I'm forced to live an interesting life no doubt.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Glad you got her fixed.:D Don't scare us like that.:eek: Ride safe and enjoy the season..:)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well that was certainly a close one! Just an observation, being as you have a brand new belt on the right side, how old is the one on the left? I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Glad to hear that all is well! I would be more than just a little disappointed if I had a scare like that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily the left side belt didn't need replacing--it looked pretty new--the previous owner(s) must have replaced them both, and they would have been fine for many years if the bolt hadn't come out of the cam cover inside! Oh well--I got a new belt from Napa and some thread-locker for all of the "inside" bolts--good to go--I may have a bubble in the radiator though, I put new coolant in after reinstalling the radiator and started it..she got quite hot...the fan came on but it didn't take as much coolant as I drained. I may try to spin around the block to see if the bubble will come out...thanks for all the input guys, this is the first wrenching I've done on a Honda.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts