Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the day before Labor Day, a coworker asked me to take him on a ride. I always tell everyone the same thing, "Don't ride beyond your limits..." and so forth. He told me he knew his limits. I suppose he eventually grew tired of the big Wing with a car tire blocking his scenery and blew past me at about 150. I tried to speed up to catch him to warn him of a 90 degree curve coming up but he had built too much of a lead on the straights. Well, after I dusted him off, I suggested he come to a track day with me for some lessons.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
There are two speed limits to every road : The posted limit and our limit. As a practice I tend to stay within twenty miles over my posted age limit.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i use to ride like your friend, 85 mph was just to get across town. a road trip to port huron 135 and that was back when the speed limit was 55

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like good signage to let him know. Just bad judgement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Since you said dusted him off I assume he only hurt his pride and maybe bike damage.

Great song you had playing there. Songs like those are always nice when you want to ride fast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
that made me feel better

And I 've been feelin so bad about dropping my bike at a stop sign, but I guess trying to hold up a 600 lb bike with a 200 lb wife is not as bad as he did. Luckily, like me it only hurt his pride and you were able to just dust him off and not carry off what was left. I probably would of been right behind him if I was riding alone. I save my crazy stuff for when I am solo... The thought of hurting someone else in a stupid is as stupid does moment would just kill me....Thanx for the video **Craig**

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Doo Koo....My wife won't allow me to play with you boys:D
I can safely say at 150 mph....you will get there twice as fast as I will:)

He looked like he was geared up. Hopefully that saved him a little road rash. Ride Safe - Ummm...maybe I should just say Good Luck!!!:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He was young and bounced like rubber. I would flop and die. Amazingly, his bike had cosmetic damage and he was just bruised up a bit. We finished out another 100 miles and he maintained his pace behind me and we worked on corner entry speed. I am so lucky to live where there are some roads with nearly zero cars. You already know I'm 'that guy' who drives above the speed limit in desolate areas. I was at or near 100 when he passed me. I'm going riding with a group of HD's this weekend so I think I will be in the left lane going slower than the speed limit;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i use to ride like your friend, 85 mph was just to get across town. a road trip to port huron 135 and that was back when the speed limit was 55
Now don't be shy. I'm sure the kid in you still comes out to play now and then. I bought the Wing to try and slow myself down. FAIL! Next time I get a moped.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Dookoo, you and I (along with the rest of us) know just how incredibly lucky he was. No guard rail to hop, no rocky deep ditch, or no approach to contend with. BTW, When tunes from groups like "Boston" are playing, I keep my speed down to pleasureable sound levels. Dunno, maybe it's just me, but I have no probs with wind and road drowning out Led Zeppelin or Van Halen:D
p.s. get yer buddy out to a track asap!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Gravel Roads that dump onto a hardtop, especially in a turn will get ya every time. Looks to me like driving hard into the turn late and finding some gravel was the real culprit. Its a hazard I have to watch out for around here all the time. Scary but glad he's Ok. :eek:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
OK, so we have had a big thread going here about whether or not to wear a helmet. Some do, some don't and there are tons of reasons on both sides. Its obvious to me that when the boy hit the pavement, his head hit the ground.
My question is this...."Has this video in any way changed anyone's mind about NOT wearing safety gear, most especially a helmet?"
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but if there was ever a clear cut reason to opt on the side of safety and wear a helmet, this is it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wear a helmet, except when I have to:cool: So does wearing a helmet in the bedroom qualify as safe sex too?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I wear a helmet, except when I have to:cool: So does wearing a helmet in the bedroom qualify as safe sex too?
If your having sex at 150 mph, maybe you should wear 2 helmets. You do whatever you want to, just don't expect or want me or anybody else to either feel sorry for you or pick up the tab for your accident.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
wow and now you have video to show him every time he gets cocky lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your having sex at 150 mph, maybe you should wear 2 helmets. You do whatever you want to, just don't expect or want me or anybody else to either feel sorry for you or pick up the tab for your accident.
Wow DreamWeaver, take a deep breath. I was just having a little lighthearted moment. If you followed any of my posts I am all about ATTGAT when I go for a serious ride. Because I live in California, I wear a helmet on the road everytime. However, I don't mind an exception here and there. On occasion, I ride my motocross track with flip flops, shorts, and no helmet and do wheelies down the road just the same. While I was on summer vacation in Utah and Arizona, I toured around without a helmet and loved every moment of it. I am clearly not unconditional.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DooKoo,
Your deceleration and pullout was impressive. Seriously, text book good!
Ha ha. Please don't give me a bigger head than I already have. My neck hurts already! Ask my wife:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts