Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what does an engine noise that goes from a loud tick to a loud bang under load mean? All I know is that it does not sound good. Any ideas what a parts bike is worth?

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Bad bearings in the bottom end.
How's the compression? I'm thinking wallowed out (out of round) cylinders and the pistons slapping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression is great. I was thinking bearings too but the way it is acting is weird. My mechanic is coming by this weekend. Good news is I only paid $300.00 for it from a poor lady whose husband just walked out on her. I figure if it's too bad I can part it out and easily make my money back. We'll see. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Doesn't sound like bearings if it is making the loudest sound under load. Bearings usually are the loudest at a steady cruise. This may sound silly, but it almost sounds like an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, so far it is hard to tell. I found out that the previous owner supposedly put new rods in it. It is having trouble cranking over. Turns over real slow then fires up. It starts with a higher pitch clicking sound and then when I put it in gear, it makes a banging sound. Sounds internal and unlike any exhaust leak I have ever heard. My mechanic is coming over Saturday. I am not going to fool with it til he has a chance to look it over. The last owner apparently did not know what he was doing.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Curious as to what year Wing it is too. If the noises are internal, a stethescope can help differentiate some of the sounds. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry budoka...it's an 83 Interstate. Work has had me busy all week. I am just hoping my mechanic can isolate it. It has over head cams so it doesn't have push rods. Wish it was that simple though. What about loose primary chain?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, no pushrods, and also no primary chains, the cams are belt activated, and the driveline is all gear driven. Service manual says excessive noise is due to incorrect valve clearance, stuck or sticky valve(s), damaged rocker arm/camshaft, lose or damaged cambelts or loose/damaged tensioners. Obviously this is all upper cylinder stuff (made less clear by the opposed/laydown engine configuration). if it's in the cm drive section, don't run the engine, serious damage WILL result if something is out of time, sync whatever. Get the heads off and inspect the valve train/belts, tensioners first. If it's not there and lies deeper in the engine it could be numerous things:broken piston ring(s) or even a damaged crank, but that's very rare. Have you got a service manual?

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Seller stated the rods were changed, that's why I asked if they were the right length :rolleyes:. I know there aren't any.
If the bike had good compression, he may wish to run a 'Leak down test' on the combustion chamber, just in case the valves and seats have been beaten.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a manual for my GL1100 and it does show a chain on the back side of the crank case. I have done a valve adjustment but of course it won't show a bent valve. Iwill have to pull the heads off this weekend. Belts are new and the previous owner had it off by two teeth on the 1/3 side. Hope its just valves. I can do that. Not real hyped about doing a full rebuild on a $300.00 bike. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the schematic that shows the primary chain. My old sportster used to make a ton of noise when the chain stretched.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
wvwing,
Have you tried a leak down test? This will tell you if the valves are seated and the chamber sealed. You just may have found the problem with the timing belt being off by two teeth and if the valve is in the wrong place, Ouch!
Have a dial indicator and V blocks? You're good to go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry trikelady...little misunderstanding. It was doing this after I discovered it was off two teeth.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Goof on my part too wv, when I hear primary chain I automatically think of the side primary on a HD (duh)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny part is, you all know more about wings than I do so I have to look twice too. I am pretty mechanical and have had everything from Harleys to Hondas. Good thing about the Harleys is I don't have to take the whole bike apart to do something.

Haven't tried the leak down test. I am off tomorrow so I am going to drag my mecahnic over and see what we can do. Hope it's not something major...I WANNA RIDE!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK. my guy came over today and we found why the bike was cranking over slow. The starter is bad. I did the compression and leak down tests and everything is fine. Still getting the ticking noise. It still sounds to me a like a chain and not crank or valve related. Sound comes and goes at acceleration and deceleration. Runs good and idles fine but the sound is still terrible. Mechanic said that we would have to drop the engine to find the problem. Not worth it to me even though I did not pay much. How much would a running parts bike be worth?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Kinda sounds to me like the person who put in the new Rods, didn't get the crank and camshaft aligned. Off a tooth and the valves are hitting the top of the pistons. My 2 cents worth....:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts