Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I organized a ride with some work mates. So I rang Frosty to tell him about it. Next I know is he is riding to Adelaide to join us. The ride is starting at Birdwood in the Adelaide hills at 10am.
There was my mate that I work with on the locomotive Wasza (Jackpot Victory), Sipper(HD) and his bro Peter(Duke), Frosty(CBR250) and myself(1200 Goldwing).
I was the lead rider and set a cracking pace and waited for everone to catch up at each turn off. The day was sunny and about 80f and we were all having fun.
At the lunch stop Wasza took the lead and we all slowed down a bit. And then........................... Sipper had a brain fade. It was a left hand turn down hill with a T junction. Too much front brake and the bike stood up and off the road he went out into the scrub. Not much damage to the HD or rider. We straighten both out and went to have a drink and settle the nerves.
While doing this I get a phone call from Vanessa and Colin who we helped to keep his bike from being sold has just T'boned a 4x4 SUV. Now there was a mad rush to Adelaide to see what I could do.
All is good Colin has no broken bone but he is badly bruised otherwise all ok. The Bike I am not so sure about. And what happened. Well she didn't see him? He did have his lights on at 3pm in good daylight, clear straight road.
I am thinking of getting some T'shirts made up with: You can't see me................I'm a motorcyclist.
Numbers for T'shirts. Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Geez, what a great day!:( Glad everybody's going to be OK.

A popular bumper sticker here says: "Start Seeing Motorcycles!"

The version I want to produce says: "Stop Trying to Kill Motorcyclists!"

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Eric I'm sorry to hear about your mate and I'm glad he is ok and make the T shirts a colors you can see from outer space, but then again the people in the cages (tin tops) still will not see us.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems Eric, but glad there aren't serious injuries.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Until this year motorcycle mishaps were just stories I heard about, or from , others. The odds are against us, but you have to be a little odd to take the risk anyway. Today is a good day.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what do you think the chance of two mate being in an accident 40 miles away and one hour apart. I am going to have to slow down a bit. I am not going to bounce as well as I did years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I must have made that crap up. I Googled it and it referenced this thread. Sorry.:eek:
Ole Doc won't take this lying down though. Remember yesterday with Ron's tractor and Doc's snowblower? He's a worthy contender. He might take his double stage and blow yo away. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Bad day for sure Eric. But you have GREAT hospitals in Adelaide. They saved my life.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I'm glad no one was hurt to bad. I'm sure with bruised ego"s also.
I like to use the expression I learned when I first started riding

"RIDE LIKE YOUR INVISIBLE" because to many cagers we are.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Sure glad nobody was hurt. Bikes can be fixed but bodies take a while. The T-shirt is a good idea. Maybe it would make some people scratch their heads. I had my wing less than 4 months when a woman pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her. Luckely I was almost stopped and only hurt my pride. Bike took two months to get fixed because the dealer had trouble getting parts.

Bad Day at Black Rock, wasn't that a 50's western?

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
good to know that everyone is ok eric

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Glad everybody is OK.
I am not justifying the drivers actions, but here is a little exercise for you to try.
Park your wing in the driveway go behind or in front where you have room to back away.
Stand behind the bike, extend one arm raise that hand and line it up with the bike and start backing away. and see at what point you can no long see the bike. Then just use the thumb for the same exercise.
The point is not to justify the drivers action, but to show how easily a Motorcycle can be momentarily hidden by the vehicles door post, window frame, a power pole or some other obstruction outside the car.
People look for car and trucks not motorcycles:(

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Glad nobody was seriously injured. My thought when riding is and has always been,

"If they can do something to hurt me, they probably will".

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes all is good in that they are a little bit bruised and battered but are ok.
Ron what you say about how easy it is for a bike to be hidden from your sight by a power pole etc. But I do get fedup with this excuse. A lot of driver just do not take a proper look in the first place. Then you get, 'Í didn't see you'. Now here are a couple of questions.
1/ If it had of been a police motorbike would it have been seen?
2/ If they can pull in front of a car and not see it. If they can pull in front of a truck and not see it. If they can pull in front of a train and not see it. How big does it have to get before they are going to see it?
That is the second time for Colin to have someone not 'see' him.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Ole Doc won't take this lying down though. Remember yesterday with Ron's tractor and Doc's snowblower? He's a worthy contender. He might take his double stage and blow yo away. :eek:
Yes, William has "Cloud Cake Superpowers"!:p:D

Crownfire Mark: Yes, Bad Day at Black Rock is set in a small western town but in the same time period as it was made, 1955. Starred one of my favorite actors, Spencer Tracy, the most "natural" actor I've ever seen until Daniel Day Lewis. I recommend the movie. Apparently they've shown it to the Hoon population of Australia, too.:p
Hi Eric!;)

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
What I'm about to type is not meant to diminish what happened to Colin so Eric please don't think that I'm making light of the issue.

As most of you know I'm not an F.W. The GWOF is where I reside. However I have seen posts here & the few other forums I found prior to the GWOF talking about "Cagers" & what idiots they are blah blah blah.

With the exception of a very very very small few, we all drive a cage ourselves. I will be the 1st to admit that while driving "the Cage" I myself have been distracted & have erred in driving.

What happened has happened & it is also wonderful that Colin wasn't seriously hurt. I'm sure the woman who hit him is equally grateful. I think Badrider said it best "ride like you're invisible".

Eric again no disrespect to you or your family intended in this post just wanted to express my thoughts.

Also when Colin feels up to it. Have him try this website.

http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill we have driving behaviour at this time of the year that is just pathetic at this time of the year and if I am going to have a serve I will go with boots and all.
This is the last two weeks.
1/ One road rage.
2/ One truck on the wrong side of the road.
3/ One driver didn't even look, just pulled out into the traffic
4/ One people mover moving into my lane when I am next to her back wheel and continued into my lane when I am braking and holding the horn continuiosly.
5/ Two cars that would not pull into the slow lane when it was obvious that I am travelling faster than them.
So lets take them one at a time.
Road Rage:
He has come from behind me at speed and proceeds to sit about 2 feet behind my car. I have not cut him off.
I have not given him the finger. This is the first that I have seen him. I pull over and let him pass and drop in behind him. He jams on the brakes a couple of times. He pull up at the lights and punches his fist into his hand. Now he takes off like hell. Yea good one
Truck on the wrong side:
It is a blind corner and he has cut the corner. Why. Trying to go too fast. He may have even saved 1 second.
Did not look:
You can't see something if you don't even look.
Pull into another lane:
If you are changing lanes and there is a horn sounding may mean that it is not a good idea to keep coming over.
Slow Lane:
What is so hard about going into a slow lane and letting someone through. Maybe the slow lane is for sticking it up anyone that wants to go faster you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts