Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Backrest

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Dookoo 
#1 ·
Hi
I am new to the forum and just purchased a new 2010. I am looking at adding a backrest and the Utopia has been recommended by a friend. My Wing has the heated seat and I am concerned about having to cut into the seat. Wingstuff reviewers like the Utopia but don't comment on the seat and how to seal if after cutting.
Can readers help me please with suggestions for a back rest? Some reviews say the Kuryakin pushes the rider forward.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

#2 ·
#3 ·
+1 on the Utopia. The " seal" ring is provided with the seat but it's pretty much covered anyway by the backrest and pouch. I'll put it this way: You can find many pre-owned backrests for sale , but the chances of finding an Utopia for sale is extremely small if at all.

#4 ·
I recently bought a used seat with the Utopia already installed, I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on how great it will be,but, I have used the other type that has the bar that goes around the backrest and down along the sides and swings forward; It is comfortable..for the driver! But, having those bars along the sides interferes with the passenger's knees and is uncomfortable for them. Of all the posts I've seen about the Utopia, never read a bad comment.

#9 ·
Dook, you could always try Duct taping her arms to her legs, but then again she would probably just kick you instead.

#11 ·
I did an install just a couple weeks back. I have the heated seat and although my knees went pretty much to water during the 'cut', all turned out ok; both seat heaters work just fine. Worst part of the install was actually lining up the seat bolts again, the metal sleaves gor moved out of postition just enough to cause me some grief. Backrest is very comfy, but I'll have a better test after this weekend's ride out to central BC and back.

#12 ·
Yes, the install isn't an exact science. I've installed three now and there has always been some fiddling and creative use of wires and tape to get everything bolted together. The cutting is the easy part. Of course, the first one on my bike was the most frustrating. Love the seatback though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.