Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Utopia backrest and Wind Wings installed . This should add a few more miles to the ride.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just put on my new Kury ISO pegs,and along with the MBL handlebars put on previous,am ready for a good long one now too. Am thinking about some wind wings too for the summer here in FL. Enjoy! Ride often and Safe. Ken '94SE Pearl White

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing they didn't warn me about with the Utopia backrest is that you can't gracefully mount your bike using the " hike up " leg approach. Glad I learned that in my driveway today. I was thinking of practicing on the fire hydrants when I walk the dogs. The fire hydrant hike is ingrained in me, but with the backrest I can only get the leg up as high as a miniature dachshund, comparatively speaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The first two thing I add to my bikes are backrest and highway pegs. In 03 I bought an 02 Gold Wing from a guy in Portland Oregon, I flew up there from So. Calif and rode it home. It was mid July and hot as heck, and no backrest or highway pegs on the bike. It was the worst two day ride I ever did.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
The fire hydrant hike is ingrained in me, but with the backrest I can only get the leg up as high as a miniature dachshund, comparatively speaking.
Step through the seat. Your OLD it is acceptable. I don't care what I look like so why should you.

The first two thing I add to my bikes are backrest and highway pegs.
I'm with you Joe, whenever anyone asks me what's the best things to add to a Wing those are the 1st two I would put on.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Face it Chopin, You are old. What I do is stand on the left footpeg and hike my leg over. Sometimes I fold the backrest down but bein "chronologically advanced" myself I usually forget to put it back up. That hurts. How's plans for Americade coming ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't have a backrest,but thanks to my right hip i do the step thru move. I'm sure there's plenty of younger fellows out there that could't do the hike maneuver with a backrest either,like Fossil says,we ain't young anymore,so who cares.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
drmcmtru, HERE, HERE. As one of my alltime favorite Characters once said "Man must know his limitations".

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That did it ! I'm going to master the " hike over mount " and when I do, I'll have pictures to prove it. Sr-71 ( Jim ): I don't have MZ. Vickie in the saddle yet, so I'm going to spend this first year with the bike honing my skills and getting the wife saddled up. There are a couple of " senior " riders in PA that I would like to enlist on this ride to help pass the miles and profit from their " aged wisdom ", but their plans can't include Americade this year. I could be selfish and go it alone, but I still have to come home to " her ". I need this year to settle in with the bike, purchase the gear necessary for an adventure ride farther then the day rides I've only taken so far. drmcmtru: I not giving in without a fight! " That which does not destroy us, makes us stronger " ~ Nietzsche.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Choppin114,go for it! Maybe all u need is a couple of good groin stretches before mounting up the way you are wanting too.I have my leg thru technique down pretty good,as i cross the seat i grab the bars and as my right foot hits the ground i have the bike standing up using my left inner thigh.This works good for me also when i have a passenger already seated. Maybe we are older,but definately better!

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Hey Choppin114,go for it! Maybe all u need is a couple of good groin stretches before mounting up the way you are wanting too.I have my leg thru technique down pretty good,as i cross the seat i grab the bars and as my right foot hits the ground i have the bike standing up using my left inner thigh.This works good for me also when i have a passenger already seated. Maybe we are older,but definately better!
It must be a macho thing for him. You know, all about the image.:D

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It must be a macho thing for him. You know, all about the image.:D
I was practicing my " groan " exercises as suggested by drmcmtru. I have a strategy that I think will work. It's not about the " image " so much as it's about the " imagine ". Imagine this fossil.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hope my Utopia will arrive next week. This mounting problem is exactly why I previously posted that I wanted to make mine easily removable, for short rides and trips. Also in a couple of dropped situtions I needed to unmount quickly.

Any one with 1989 to 2000 GW what type of pegs? Thanks, Carl

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Also in a couple of dropped situtions I needed to unmount quickly.
If you drop it correctly dismount is automatic.:D

Any one with 1900 to 2000 GW what type of pegs? Thanks, Carl
Not sure of your question. Please explain.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forget the leg up and over, it ain't gonna happen. Sorry, no pictures to show failure. I'm best at mounting from the high side (right ) of the bike. Although...... Glucosamine and Geritol might ... hmmm....... But I like the Utopia Backrest now that I put a couple of rides on her. Great on the accelerations and gives me the feeling of better control now that I'm not expending energy holding myself upright and forward by the grips alone. I give this product a 9 1/2 stars out of a possible 10.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
But I like the Utopia Backrest now that I put a couple of rides on her.
Ready for a big ride now, you are!

·
Registered
263 Posts
See Fossil,that didn't take long.It's ok Choppin,all that really matters is you are enjoying the ride however you get onto it! Ride often and Safe. (and get on however you can)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts