Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 GL1500SE is bacfiring through the left muffler when I roll back on the throttle, especially in the lower gears. It will only backfire one time. Also, the max idle speed I can get is 750RPM. I have removed and cleaned the carbs. I've checked all the vacuum lines. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
How does the bike ride? Does it still have the same power?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this form and I am having the same issue bike is running rough and now its backfiring at start up, 1996 1500se replaced plugs but no improvement. It all started after slowing down at a red light by downshifting. it will run but power at low rpm has been degraded and high revs are needed to get it rolling. I can only think that the compression from down shifting blew off a vacuum line or my timing belt slipped. any one experience this type of issue before. Any input would be help full. Thanks in advance. :mad:

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I am new to this form and I am having the same issue bike is running rough and now its backfiring at start up, 1996 1500se replaced plugs but no improvement. It all started after slowing down at a red light by downshifting. it will run but power at low rpm has been degraded and high revs are needed to get it rolling. I can only think that the compression from down shifting blew off a vacuum line or my timing belt slipped. any one experience this type of issue before. Any input would be help full. Thanks in advance. :mad:

First of all, welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I am sure there will be some folks coming along shortly that can assist with some information on this issue.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle.

Perhaps a GWRRA member might be able to assist as well.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
dstocke, it does sound like you slipped a timing belt. DON'T run it anymore until you have checked it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The power seems to be fine. It really feels like a carb problem. Boy, I sure don't want to pull them back off! I'm going to try to put a couple of hundred mile on it with SeaFoam and keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts