Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's, I notice that Dunlop as a Elite 3 tire size 180/70R/16 will this tire fit the 1800 or do I have to stay with the 180/60R/16

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I know of many riders that use the 70 series tire. It corrects the speedo error. Based on their usage, my answer would be " yes ".

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Yes it should fit...I would check it's weight rating first. The tire I'm pretty sure is for the Valkerie...& it helps correct the speedo on the wing. On some wings there is a rubbing issue on the swing arm.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Yes it should fit...I would check it's weight rating first. The tire I'm pretty sure is for the Valkerie...& it helps correct the speedo on the wing. On some wings there is a rubbing issue on the swing arm.

Mark
Anytime you can use the word Speedo and Rubbing Issue in the same sentence I recommend it..:kat:

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Anytime you can use the word Speedo and Rubbing Issue in the same sentence I recommend it..:kat:
:tmi:

Phil,

You're a freak! I guess that's why we get along so well!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

·
Administrator
15,313 Posts
Phil, I was going to comment on this then your's made me forget what I was going to say.......

Oh yeah, I know, the 2010 bikes the speedometer is correct. I've stayed with the 180/60R16. Which doesn't answer your question but that is the Elite 3 I have on mine. So they come in the stock size.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
yes they will fit. whether or not it's the perfect tire depends on weight rating (as noted) speed rating and clearance. Most respondants don't care for the E3 on an 1800, but they're very popular on 1500s!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Phil, I was going to comment on this then your's made me forget what I was going to say.......
Sorry if I triggered your Oldzheimer's :geezer:
Speaking of that - PM sent

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
:iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

Some people.....

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actualy, I have two wheels, one with a car tire that I use on long trips and the other for driving anywhere. The tire I have now is the Elite 3, 60 and would like to put the Elite 3, 70 for less RPM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run the E3 180/70 on my Valkyrie, which is the oem size, but went up on my Wing from the 180/60 to the Michelin Commander ll in the 180/65. It is just slightly taller than the 60 and it did change the speedo. Speedo was right on on mine and now it is 2 mph slow at 70. Have about 2k on the tire now and am happy with it. Has one heck of a lot of tread depth on it compared to all others. It is a bias rather than a radial but I can't tell any difference. I don't get crazy on the twisties but do open it up some.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I run the E3 180/70 on my Valkyrie, which is the oem size, but went up on my Wing from the 180/60 to the Michelin Commander ll in the 180/65. It is just slightly taller than the 60 and it did change the speedo. Speedo was right on on mine and now it is 2 mph slow at 70. Have about 2k on the tire now and am happy with it. Has one heck of a lot of tread depth on it compared to all others. It is a bias rather than a radial but I can't tell any difference. I don't get crazy on the twisties but do open it up some.
Denny,

FYI....

That Michelin is made for bikes that weigh 100 lbs or more lighter than the Wing. I'd keep my eye on it.

Mark

·
Administrator
15,313 Posts
Sorry if I triggered your Oldzheimer's :geezer:
Speaking of that - PM sent
It was more of a spit my coffee out laughing moment. Replied, lets go!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Denny,

FYI....

That Michelin is made for bikes that weigh 100 lbs or more lighter than the Wing. I'd keep my eye on it.

Mark
I guess you are reading the ratings wrong, the Michelin is an 81 rating(1019#) the E3 60 is rated 80 (992#) and the Bridgestone 704 is only a 74 (827#), and the E3 180/70 is rated 77(908#). Don't think it matters tho because there shouldn't be over 500-600# or so on the rear tire, depending on weight of riders

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I guess you are reading the ratings wrong, the Michelin is an 81 rating(1019#) the E3 60 is rated 80 (992#) and the Bridgestone 704 is only a 74 (827#), and the E3 180/70 is rated 77(908#). Don't think it matters tho because there shouldn't be over 500-600# or so on the rear tire, depending on weight of riders
I stand corrected....when I pulled up the tire fitment by make, it lists bikes with a lighter dry weight. I could not find the actual specs.
;
Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I ride a car tire 24/7. Twisty mountains and highways, from the " Tail of the Dragon " to the rolling highways of Pennsylvania and the slab we call Interstate 95. I suspect some may switch out to a car tire for the long trips for many reasons. The smooth and quiet ride may be one of them. The ability to purchase a Run-On-Flat may be another. For me it's the only tire my bike needs.You have the same rim as the rest of us. My currant tire is a Kumho 195/55/R16.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 70s elite 3 is identical to the 60 except the 70 has a lower load rating it is made for the 1800 Valkyrie... it will fit the Goldwing 1800 and as has been stated correct the speedo to spot on ...it will make it a tad easier getting it up on the center stand and will add a little height to the bike so if you have short legs ..maybe not such a good idea putting one on

Dunlop is going to be making an Elite 3 specifically designed for the 1800s in different sizes it has a harder compound in a center strip which hopefully will give longer tire life.. they will also be making them for the 1500 in bias ply.. they will be marked with an "MT" should be out soon according to the Dunlop Rep or maybe even available now although I have not seen them

·
Registered
51 Posts
found the Elite 3 ratings

Elite 3 ratings

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.