Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am a recent newbie to the forum and have been searching the site for help with my 86 Interstate.
She has been running well until last week. At which point when trying to start the bike I am able to turn the bike over but she will not start. after a few turns the gas in the exhaust back fires really loud.
I have replaced the plugs, and checked the gas supply which seems fine. I have removed all the plugs and check the sparks and found only two plugs seem to fire and not to bright at that.
Not sure how best to check the ignition system.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Sorry your first post is a problem.. I'm not the wrench guy, but I"m sure others will chime in here shortly. Where's home for you?

Good luck and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If you're not getting much spark, I'd say it's your stator. A volt meter will determine if that's what it is. Other than that I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to electrical problems. Welcome to the forum by the way!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm in the south east of Michigan.
I have additional information that is adding to my confusion.
After leaving the bike over night with the plugs removed. I decided to check the spark again to all the plugs. This morning all the plugs are firing and a bright spark is present.
Wondering if the battery could cause an issue or if it still points to the ignition system.
I will certainly check out the stator tonight just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ,
Checked the stator and made sure that the battery is fully charged.
THe engine started a couple of times then I went to eat came back and the bike was back to not starting and would back fire after being turned over.
Took thelugs out and now i'm back to two plugs not sparking and the other two plugs have just a small spark.
I am looking into the coils right now but wonder if the ignition unit controls any of the high voltage side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi bag, before wasting your time on the stator or coils go to the pulse coils an check them first. they are known to have this type of problem. remove your tank cover an you will find the 4 prong plug in the front left grouping of connectors. check your manual for ohm resistance but I think is 280 to 320 ohms to be good. the pulsers Are located on the front of the motor by the crankshaft an yes they are behind the timing belts. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi 2580, I have been out of town til today.
Just checked the Pulse generators and found one reading around 15megs the other is around 370k. That seems pretty conclusive.
Thanks for the input . Now to get hold of a new pulse generator.

I will update once, as it appears I am successful.

Cheers again

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
As soon as you mentioned the problem comin back after checking both the battery and the stator, I thought of the pulse generator (flashback to my snowmobile racing days when we had several problems with exciter coils...similar but in two stroke systems) when the exciter coils would fail on us at the track. Glad you got that bit from 2580, good call on his part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a final update.
Installed the generator and the bikes back up and purring happily.

Thanks for the help got a good weekend coming up so time to take it for a trip I think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts