Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted info about my first set of Avon Cobra tires on my GL1800. I am now on my second set of Avon Cobras. I put them on new front and rear prior to leaving on our trip...........I have 4600 miles on them to date and they are performing just as good as the first set. They are quite, they handle extreemly well in the rain. (We hit sever weather in Ill, strong cross winds and blowing heavy rain). I was traveling about 55 mph in the rain. I was comfortable and confident with the tires. I went over some steel grate bridges and there was no, NONE, movement or tracking.
and the tires did not react to tar strips or grooved pavement...On dry roads they just perform, they stick like glue. We rode thru the mountains in CO and NY and NE Pa. Looking at them they are not showing any wear yet, the back tire has started to show the flattening they all do, and I am riding two up and pulling a loaded trailer. I keep the back tire at 42 psi and the front at 38 psi. I jsut thought I would post an update on the tires. Thank you.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Good info for our members looking for new tires. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Yes John thanks for the review. Hopefully it will help others. Good job & Ride Safe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
... and the tires did not react to tar strips or grooved pavement...
This part really interests me, well it all did, but when I was riding some roads in Arkansas, I came across a lot of the tar snakes on the road. The stock tires did not give me a good feeling in the curves when I went over the snakes. I now have about 11,300 miles on the original set and appears that I will be looking for new tires in another 2-3,000 miles so I will probably give the Avon's a try.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This part really interests me, well it all did, but when I was riding some roads in Arkansas, I came across a lot of the tar snakes on the road. The stock tires did not give me a good feeling in the curves when I went over the snakes. I now have about 11,300 miles on the original set and appears that I will be looking for new tires in another 2-3,000 miles so I will probably give the Avon's a try.

Thanks for the post.
Promethius,
I know there is a lot written about which tire is best. And everyone has different riding styles and habits. I also know that everyone has their favorite tire or swear by the brand they use (brand loyalty).

I am only sharing my own real experience. I have used all the name brand tires for the GL1800 Goldwing and basically was dedicated to the Dunlop E3"s but it had its flaws and I was not totally satisfied with them. I started researching tires for my bike and read a lot of information and found that the Avon product proclaimed to offer what I wanted so I reluctantly tried a set. I was not disappointed and was amazed at the difference in the way the bike handled. So I started messing with the bike with the new tires. ie: pushing the twisties harder, braking harder, riding intentialy on highway seams and seperation joints, tar strips & steel bridges (without slowing down). Then in the rain: I decided to not slow down and stay at speed in the turns. The tires responded and handled well. On dry road they stay put, they love the turns, the responsiveness is so different than other tires I've used.

Quite frankly the bike, tires, and suspension modification I did make the bike capable of performing far better than my riding skills are. And I think I am a capable rider.

Anyway, I am on my second set and my report is they are excellent, live up to what they say and the milage is comprable if not better than the other brands. Good luck with what ever tire you use.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
how many miles did you put on the first set of tires before replacing them

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how many miles did you put on the first set of tires before replacing them
detdrbuzzard,
I would have to go back and look up the exact milage for an accurate response. However, from memorty I got approx 14,800 miles on the front tire and 12,300 on the rear tire. I always replace both tires when I get new ones. As I mentioned in the older posts about the Avons, when I had the first set the rear tire was out of round so they gave me a new one (@2500 miles) that is why the milage differes with the front and rear other wise they would be the same. I honstly believe I had another 1,000 miles left on them but I replaced them because of the trip I am currently on.:)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's the info I was wanting to hear. I'll need a new fron tire this fall, and I have the rear wheel replacement set I bought last year to do a complete swap-out but the tire that's on it is the OEM D250. No complaints at all yet and I have 12,000 miles on the Duns so far. Mior cupping on the front just enough to make her sing a bit, no vibes or anything (yet anyway), same with the rear. Not even close to the wear indicators on either tire. Gonna be a couple years before I make a decision regarding the Avons or Bridgestones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts