Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an update on the Avon Cobra's I installed on my 2002 GL1800.
These tires seem to be great. I have 7500 miles on the front tire and 5500 on the rear. (I had to replace the rear tire, it was out of round). the new tire is no problem. These tires are quiter than the
E3's I've alway ran, they handle better than the Dunlop and are good and very stable in rain. There is no tracking on grooves, tar lines or steel bridges. I am very, very pleased with them and they are not showing any signs of wear or cupping with the mileage on them. I have used Dunlop exclusively in the past on all my wings, except for one brief experience with Metzlers, which I removed after 150 miles because of poor handling. I was getting 12-13 K miles with the Dunlops but they cupped alot, were noisy and did not handle well when the mileage was high on them. So far I am satisfied with the performance and wear of the Avon Cobra's.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thanks for the update pt. I hail back to the days when Avon tyres were only found on the road-race circuit, and a very few specialized European bikes. A while back the Avons were popular with the custom folks but the wear was dubious. I've got 7000 miles on my OEM Dunlops D250s and no complanits, but I'm watching and listening as to whether I go E3, Bridgestone, Avon whatever. Keep us in the loop.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Good to hear you are happy with your purchase. Another option for folks to consider when looking for new tires. Ride safe..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not knocking the E3's. (or any other brand).I used Dunlop exclusively on my 1800(s)and on my 1500 (s). I was interested in the Avons, read some good reviews and I felt they had good specs and techinacal data available to review. So I decided to try them. I am extremely satisfied with all aspects of the tire. Handling is the big concern, obviously, and the tire does not feel or react to the grooves and ruts in the road. I intentionally road on them and did let go of the handle bars a few times. The tires held true and steady. They eat the turns and twisties, very quick response which took a little adjusting on my part. We'll see how they do mileage wise very soon. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Keep an eye on them. This is from another board. Not my post.

I was giving the big girl the once over yesterday, getting her ready for RG-10. Out of the corner of my eye I spy a small problem. There was and egg size bubble on my nearly new Avon Cobra front tire!! The tire had 2000 miles on it!!! This is the 2nd time I have had problems with Avon. I hope they will stand behind it. This sure puts a kink in my RG get ready. 10 days till I leave and I cant get a new tire here until Monday!! I am putting something different on this time. Leaning towards a Stone 709. What a wizzer!! At least I will be riding the rockies on new tread.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep an eye on them. This is from another board. Not my post.

I was giving the big girl the once over yesterday, getting her ready for RG-10. Out of the corner of my eye I spy a small problem. There was and egg size bubble on my nearly new Avon Cobra front tire!! The tire had 2000 miles on it!!! This is the 2nd time I have had problems with Avon. I hope they will stand behind it. This sure puts a kink in my RG get ready. 10 days till I leave and I cant get a new tire here until Monday!! I am putting something different on this time. Leaning towards a Stone 709. What a wizzer!! At least I will be riding the rockies on new tread.
Thank you for the info. I am watching them and check them before every ride and when I stop for fuel. I have also heard / read about Metzlers, Bridgestones and even Dunlops having an occassional problem. Most of the problems have been blow outs on relatively new tires. I guess we have to just watch them all and hopefully not have a problem. Also I have heard that the problem tires were manufactured in China. (both motorcycle and auto tires). The dealer & Avon did acknowledge that their tires are manufactured in more than one plant, China being one of them..........(I did speak directly to Avon about my out of round tire and lateral run out on same tire).
So far my Avon have been excellant tires.
Have a safe ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts