Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an update on the Avon Cobra tires I installed on my GL1800. I initially installed both front and rear tires at the same time. I had to replace the rear tire which was out of round.

The front tire has 13,743 miles on it. It still has about 1/3+ of the tread depth left but it is cupping. I can feel it at very low, almost stopped speed. I don't notice it at highway or speeds above 15 MPH. No wandering or driftin when stopping either, they hold true and steady.

The rear tire has 10,683 miles on it. (I had a defective one and had to replace it). It is getting flat in the middle, has some cupping and is starting to get a little noisy in the turns, laying it over, it has approx. 1/4 ++ of the tread depth left on it. Note I pull a trailer occassionally and ride two up the majority of the time.

The tires surprisingly still handle well on both dry and wet pavement. But I can definetly feel some of the wear. I am getting about the same milage and wear patterens with the Avons as I did with the Dunlop E3's. The significant difference as I see it is they are quiter and remain relatively quite with wear, and I think they handle better especially in the curves. Even with significant wear and the cupping.
I run 41 PSI in the rear, 38 PSI in the front.

Overall I think it is the best tire I have had on my GL1800. It has 89,200 + miles on it to date. As and added note: The dealer replaced the tire at no cost, Avon reimbursed me the labor to have the tire reinstalled. They were great to work with.
Ride safe.:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Nice update pt. I was looking hard at the Avons until I bought a whole wheel and tyre assembly. All I have to do is swap wheels now and reset the TPMS and I'm good to go. When I re-tyre (not to be confused with 'retire') I'll start looking again, but that won't be for a couple years now, I'll be looking for a front hoop first I think, so I will likely stay with the D250's so that they match.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
This is a good review. The E3's and the Bridgestones have always been the predominant tires mentioned here. Nice to have another judged choice. I like the quieter while wearing aspect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been trying different tires in hopes of finding that miricle set .... but i guess they dont exisit. I have run the Dunlops and I tried a set of Avon Cobra's. Now for about 12K miles i thought i had the Holy Graile of tires .... they were great. But when they started going ..they went in a hurry ...cupping real bad and wearing like i riding on sandpaper... So then to Bridgestones.... which i am on now... i have around 8K miles on them and i doubt if they hold up as well as the Avons. Most of my riding is two up ... i clip along at a good pace.... so i guess i am doomed to buying tires every 12K to - 14K miles.

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
PT, Great review for the site. We appreciate the effort. Tires wear out, this we all know. The only way to get them to last is to not ride at all. That would not be an option for any of us.:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been trying different tires in hopes of finding that miricle set .... but i guess they dont exisit. I have run the Dunlops and I tried a set of Avon Cobra's. Now for about 12K miles i thought i had the Holy Graile of tires .... they were great. But when they started going ..they went in a hurry ...cupping real bad and wearing like i riding on sandpaper... So then to Bridgestones.... which i am on now... i have around 8K miles on them and i doubt if they hold up as well as the Avons. Most of my riding is two up ... i clip along at a good pace.... so i guess i am doomed to buying tires every 12K to - 14K miles.
danonawing,
I agree there is no miracle tire(s). When I had my GL1200's &
GL1500's and ran the biased tires I got 17K-19K miles on them. I have never got more than 12K miles off a set of Bridgestones or Dunlop
E3's. Actually the best I ever got on Bridgestones was 7K-8K miles. The best I ever got on Dunlope E-3's was about 12K miles. The Avon Cobras that I have on now are at approx 15K miles on the front and about 13K miles on the rear, they are cupping now and wearing but the tread depth is still good and the handling is still good.
I will be replacing them soon and think I may stay with the Avons again. Seems to be for me, better milage, better handling, no tire road noise, and excellent wet weather performance. I can only testify to my own expereince. All tires wear out as someone stated and the 1800's use up the radial tires faster but that is the trade off for sport bike handling and performance on a heavy touring bike, two up, loaded, and pulling a trailer. All considered that is a good tire in my book.:)

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
That's exactly why I was looking at a rear car tire: The wear factor. Your positve and specific report on your Avon tires gives me another option to consider before, and if I go, I the other way.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lates most accuate update on the Avon Cobra's. I changed my oil and oil filter today. I use Amsoil full synthetic now. Topped off the break fluid and aired up the tires. I check the tires everytime I ride. So, I was updating my service log and I checked the milage on the Avon tires. Front tire has exactly 14,945 miles on it; the rear tire has exactly 12,085 miles on it. I still have at least 2000-2500 miles left before changing them and that is NOT wearing them smooth. As I said they are cupping and showing wear now. Not to repeat myself, but.........the handling is good and the noise is very minamal, only evident when I lean it over. The front and rear would have been the same if I did not have a problem with the 1st rear tire. Myself, I am pleased with that kind of milage and wear on a GL1800. Best I ever got out of a set of tires on the GL1800.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope ! I'm not falling into your trap Yoda. But I will mention that I just saw a photo of a riders car tire that had 15K miles on it and still looked exceptional and more miles usable. Nope ! I'm not falling into your trap.
I agree, I just can't see a car tire perforning well on a motorcyle. Not the wear but the handling and cornering. Maybe I wrong, but it doesn't make sense. Other wise I think the industry would have used them. Just my thoughts, and I own them.......:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thans ptwingmm for posting your tires perfomance stats in miles!! The folks that use the metric system may get confused when some post their stats in k's. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the info ptwingmm but I have a question. I bought a set of cobras about a month ago and just had them mounted. I don't care that much about mileage just perfomance. I have a tendency to push the curves a little and ride daily.
My question is the revese tread on the front. I know it is common, they say for braking, but the tread patern is so radical that it seems to me it will create hydroplane instead of flushing away the water. I ride rain or shine and it makes a difference. Also here in vegas they paint these wide lines at crosswalks so turning at intersections is tricky even on dry roads.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info ptwingmm but I have a question. I bought a set of cobras about a month ago and just had them mounted. I don't care that much about mileage just perfomance. I have a tendency to push the curves a little and ride daily.
My question is the revese tread on the front. I know it is common, they say for braking, but the tread patern is so radical that it seems to me it will create hydroplane instead of flushing away the water. I ride rain or shine and it makes a difference. Also here in vegas they paint these wide lines at crosswalks so turning at intersections is tricky even on dry roads.
Shoehorn, any tire will hydroplane if the water is deep enough and if you don't slow down. Personally, I have not had a problem with this set of Avon's in: rain, dry roads, metal bridges, tar strips, or grooved pavement. Even on rutted paved roads they don't track or pull. Man hole covers and painted strips are slick in the rain. I rode a lot of miles in the rain, living in SW Florida and the bike always felt stable and sure footed. I do slow down 10-15 mph depending on how hard it is raining. If I have to I will pull over if I can just to be safe. Just don't over drive the tires or your capability. I love the Avons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I liked your post on the avons. I have been using E3s and like the handling when fresh, but thought the cupping was unique to that brand. My parts guy is recommending Metezler,any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know there are lots of opinions and eperiences with different tries. But of all the tires i have used on my bikes ...including my wing ... the Cobra's are probably my favorite. They are sure footed with any type of reasonable road conditions...Rain or shine ... they didnt seem to know the difference, held the road like glue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I liked your post on the avons. I have been using E3s and like the handling when fresh, but thought the cupping was unique to that brand. My parts guy is recommending Metezler,any thoughts?
I have heard people swear by Metezlers.....but i think the cupping is a problem with the weight of the bikes and or never having a perfect balance with the wheel and tire ... I think i will stick with the Avons in the future.... i have tried most overall i like them best until the end..... Good Luck....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know there are lots of opinions and eperiences with different tries. But of all the tires i have used on my bikes ...including my wing ... the Cobra's are probably my favorite. They are sure footed with any type of reasonable road conditions...Rain or shine ... they didnt seem to know the difference, held the road like glue.
I agree, there are lots of opinions and experiences with the tires on GL1800's. I can only speak from my own experience of many sets of tires and 10's of thousands of miles. I used E3"s exclusively with two exceptions. (1) I tried Metzlers once and took them off with only 200 miles on them. I did not like the handling or the way the bike felt in turns and when I pushed it. (2) I installed the Avon Cobra's last summer and with almost 15,000 miles on them I would say they are the best tire I have had on the bike. They handle extremely well in all conditions and even though they are wearing now and cupping it does not seem to affect the handleing as noticibly as when the E3's were worn. I had to take the E3's off with lots of tread depth when they started cupping because of poor handling. I prefer the Avon Cobras.:) Ask you parts guy why he pushing the Metzlers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
He said he had 2 pair of brothers that had switched to Metezlers. And were happy they changed. The brothers didn't know each other, but came the same conclusion.
But I also deal when convenience dictates, with another dealership who like the Bridgstones best. I sure seems to boil down to individual experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont believe everything you hear ..... and only half of what you see...lol.... I can only tell you from my experience ... I will go back to Avon Cobra's on my next set and I will stay with them. Of all the tires i tried ... i got the best overall performance from them. Good luck with whatever you decide .... dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts