Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2008 GW with a set of tires that say Cobra on the sidewall, I'm assuming they are Avons? When starting a lean into a turn, either to the left or right, I can feel a very slight vibration in the bike which appears to be coming from the tires. They are fairly new with I'd say 75% of the tread remaining and don't show any sign of cupping. Is this normal for these tires?

thanks, Pat

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
When you are leaning , at highway speeds, through a curve do you hear a " hummmmmmm " kind of sound ?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
In had Avons on a Kaw 750 and really liked them. I have read a few posts that they don't do so well on heavier bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you are leaning , at highway speeds, through a curve do you hear a " hummmmmmm " kind of sound ?
I rode the bike yesterday and the vibration is the most pronounced in the footpegs and not the handlebars. It does it when leaning into a corner on both sides but a left-hand turn may be felt a little more than right-hand. The rear tire is cupping slightly and has a manufacture date of 4216, so a little less that 4 years old. I'm beginning to wonder whether it is the back tire?

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
I rode the bike yesterday and the vibration is the most pronounced in the footpegs and not the handlebars. It does it when leaning into a corner on both sides but a left-hand turn may be felt a little more than right-hand. The rear tire is cupping slightly and has a manufacture date of 4216, so a little less that 4 years old. I'm beginning to wonder whether it is the back tire?
Usually is the back tire. It is the way a motorcycle tire, especially the rear tire, can or will wear. I went car tire years ago because of that. Never found anything dangerous or foreboding when that tire starts getting noisy, just annoying . Live with it, change it out, or go car tire and never deal with it again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do a search. You will find quite a few posts with problems with Avon Cobras. They have had a LOT of problems with separation on the rear. Some get lucky and have no problems. Look for a bulbe or bubble. Here is what mine did on at cross country trip at 70 mph. Tire was the same as yours, lots of tread left but was getting a vibration. I really liked the tires up until this point. No more Avon's for me!

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Do a search. You will find quite a few posts with problems with Avon Cobras. They have had a LOT of problems with separation on the rear. Some get lucky and have no problems. Look for a bulbe or bubble. Here is what mine did on at cross country trip at 70 mph. Tire was the same as yours, lots of tread left but was getting a vibration. I really liked the tires up until this point. No more Avon's for me!

View attachment 271299
A former riding buddy of mine had a similar looking spot on his Bridgestone. I don't think it is peculiar to Avon's, although there may be more episodes with Avon's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts