Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Goldwing and replaced the front & rear tire with Avon Cobra V71's at 16,000 miles. At the same time CENTRAMATIC Balancers were installed. The tires felt great. Now 5300 miles later the front tire is cupping in 3 places 12:00 Noon 5:00PM and 7:00PM. Still lots of tread left I am guessing over 60%. Rear Tire is fine. running 41 front 46 rear as per Avon.

Bike seems real smooth until throttle off around 40 mph and hands off handlebars then she shakes. But the wobble seams to be normal with all my buddies bikes. definately more noticible as the miles increase on the Cobras

I am an experienced rider and for the most part drive the speed limit. but generally do not slow down to much for the curves

Any one got any input on this premature cupping. I thought the Centramatic wheel balancers would reduce the minor cupping I had on the previous tires

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Hi, The shaking you mention could be caused by the stem bearings needing to be adjusted or changed. The other problem could be the fork bushings are worn. I had the same problem, I changed the bearings and redid the forks and now I can drive with no hands and no shaking. :Happy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front wheel cupping shake

Thanks Flash. The Bike has only 21,500 miles do you thinbk the bushings could be worn. The wobble has been increasing since the cupping started. So is the cupping causing the wobble or or?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Thanks Flash. The Bike has only 21,500 miles do you thinbk the bushings could be worn. The wobble has been increasing since the cupping started. So is the cupping causing the wobble or or?
With 21,500 miles, there is a good chance the head bearing as to be retorque, at the same time, make sure the bolts holding the fork tubes are tight.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Check the steering head bearing adjustment. Many have commented on changing the head bearings to the All Balls bearings. Were the tires balanced when mounted? I'm not completely convinced of the products that claim to balance tires, old fashion lead weight for me. Spotty cupping sounds like a balance to me.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
If you are going to balance the tires, go with Dyna beads I use them in all my bikes and they are great. To get a good price on Dyna beads, buy at leas 16 oz that's what I did, much cheaper

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just an update I bought a Superbrace. No difference. Replaced the front tire at 7500 miles with the same Avon Cobra the bike was smooth as glass. Bike was good to 4500 additional miles when I sold the 06 Wing Bought a 2009 Goldwing with 3200 miles put on another 3200 miles last 2 months. Tires have 41lb front and rear check it weekly. Tires are Dunlop Elites tires seem OK but the handle bar shake is violent and has been getting worse. Simple fix though do not take your hands off the handlebars.

Avons run a lot quieter and handle much better than the Elites the bike is harder to make corrections when cornering and for lsck of another word is notchy when pushing it in the corners. I will be buying the Avons when these tires are done

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that the tire could be cupping because of the wobble You are experiencing.

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Just an update I bought a Superbrace. No difference. Replaced the front tire at 7500 miles with the same Avon Cobra the bike was smooth as glass. Bike was good to 4500 additional miles when I sold the 06 Wing Bought a 2009 Goldwing with 3200 miles put on another 3200 miles last 2 months. Tires have 41lb front and rear check it weekly. Tires are Dunlop Elites tires seem OK but the handle bar shake is violent and has been getting worse. Simple fix though do not take your hands off the handlebars.

Avons run a lot quieter and handle much better than the Elites the bike is harder to make corrections when cornering and for lsck of another word is notchy when pushing it in the corners. I will be buying the Avons when these tires are done
Do yourself a favour and get the Bridgestone Excedras instead of the Avons. They'll wear longer and far less chance of them cupping. That combined with the fact they handle better and it's a win win situation. Our (and a couple other sites) resident canyon carver Yellow Wolf swears by the 709/704 combo and I heartily agree. He tries to see how fast he can wear them out, I try to see how much wear I can get out of them; but I love dragging the boards any chance I get to so. Another set's going on my Wing this season when they're due along with Centramatics.
The wobble is there in mostly all stock head bearing Goldwing 1800s, mine included, once the tires are beyond 60%. Same old story: both hands on the bars 100% control; one hand, 50% or less; no hands...well you can guess that one. Situation solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just another update I incorrectly stated that I had Tour Elites on the 2009 They where the stock Dunlops. Just replaced the front tire at 10.500 miles it was down to 1.5 mm and still cupping. Rear tire still had some tread left probably another 1500 miles replaced both with the Tour elites because these came with the bike. Runs great no shake. Yeah!
Had them balanced bought Dyna Beads but did not put them in because the Honda Dealer who mounted the tires said they do not believe in them, Said too many customers came back and said they were not working (also mentioned some swear by them) Asked the Dealer if the beads can be installed with the TMPS system. and they were unclear as they have not been putting Dyna Beads in for some time.

Did not have the beads thrown in when mounting because then they could not static balance
Can anyone advise if they can be installed via the TPMS valve stem? as in the Dyna Beads instructions

Honda Dealer recommended the All Balls bearings and indicated about a $500 install. Probably will do this, but when the front end is apart should I also install Progressive springs. If so can any advise make and cost and $ and benefits. The front shocks can be harsh over expansion joints, especially when compared to a 2008 Concours that I ride.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Coming up on 19,000 on my Bridgestone G709 front with Dyna-Beads. Like your dealer, mine calls it " snake oil " , but they put them in. I'm getting the wobble and well I should as that front tire wears. It still " looks " useable, but it will be gone in a couple of weeks and replaced with its younger brother ( and the snake oil added ). Never heard or read anything negative about Dyna-Beads and TPMS. Plenty of riders have both. I guarantee if your dealership sold Dyna-Beads they would recommend them. If you want to take it to a higher level, and price level, get the Centramatic wheel balancers. They can't argue about those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tires cupping and wobble / shake

Did you have the Dyna beads put in when the bead was off the rim? Or did you install same through the valve stem? Do you have TPMS?
Thanks for your previous info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.