Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use the recommended 10w-30 in my 08. What are my options for off the shelf oil from a local store - WalMart, Advance, etc? I can go to the local Honda dealer for OEM products or order online but figured there must be something ok closer by. The motorcycle specific oil is typically 10w-40. I went shopping the other day and came away not sure. I know we are looking to avoid resource conserving and Zinc and looking for JASO MA

For example, Mobil1 High Mileage doesn't have any resource conserving reference but also doesn't reference JASO MA.

Some of the circular API labels say "SN Plus". Not sure if that is acceptable.

Mainly looking for what is a viable option.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Many of the members use synthetic, I belive Mobil, but I'm not sure. You want to make sure it's an oil that is safe for wet clutches. I use Amsoil and their filters.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
From the 2008 owners manual it shows that there are many viscosities that fall well within the recommended range.

\Engine Oil - Honda GOLDWING GL1800 Owner's Manual [Page 152] | ManualsLib

rotella-T6-15w40-1gal-us.jpeg 550050467_RO_T6_15W40_1Gal_US_BACK (2).jpg
I am using Shell Rotela 15w40 T6 synthetic. This falls well within the recommended temperature range that I ride in here in Michigan and it is JASO MA/MA2 rated. Works fine with wet clutch and the tranny shifts great with it.
Mine is an '03 and my owners manual actually calls out 10w40 with pretty much the same viscosity graph as your '08.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I used Rotella T6 , purchased at Walmart . I felt like it gave me more " clunking " shifting , although it met all the specs. Then I tried some Yamaha 20-50 motorcycle oil. Morning cold starts were a bitch, but every gear shift was quiet during the ride. I don't know. Went back to semi-synthetic Honda brand at my local stealer .

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I used Rotella T6 , purchased at Walmart . I felt like it gave me more " clunking " shifting , although it met all the specs. Then I tried some Yamaha 20-50 motorcycle oil. Morning cold starts were a bitch, but every gear shift was quiet during the ride. I don't know. Went back to semi-synthetic Honda brand at my local stealer .
Hi Chopin how you doin'. Were you using the 5w40 T6? They just started carrying the 15w40 around here in the last year or so, I don't think Shell made this till about then but not sure.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Hi Chopin how you doin'. Were you using the 5w40 T6? They just started carrying the 15w40 around here in the last year or so, I don't think Shell made this till about then but not sure.
Jim! Having a blast ! Now that I'm no longer chained to my Wing I'm free !!!! Hahahaha.... 15w-40w looks perfect. I would try it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have not seen a lot of 10W30 motorcycle oils I know Honda has one and Amsoil and off the shelf would be Honda dealer or online.

Reactions: JKWinger

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
in the owners manual it says what spec it needs to have............. there a couple of things that it specifies for it NOT to be (dont use energy conserving)
I would have to go pull my manual

Reactions: JKWinger

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
1602547462853.png
1602547497235.png

This is what my 2013 says

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I use the plain white jug........ Castrol GTX 10w40

Reactions: HooWing

·
Registered
368 Posts
Starting an oil thread on your 6th post should win you the "Over Achiever" award or something. :ROFLMAO:

I use Honda GN4, the difference in cost per mile is probably $.0005.

Reactions: HooWing

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm going to try the GN4 (Honda oil) this time when I put her away for the season (i've always used M/Cycle synthic blends/w/o any problems) I want to see and feel the difference..before I make a decission on which type I use, for now on........... will it be syn or dino??

Ronnie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Starting an oil thread on your 6th post should win you the "Over Achiever" award or something. :ROFLMAO:

I use Honda GN4, the difference in cost per mile is probably $.0005.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that. Really just wanted to know what viable options were available off the shelf from local stores. I ended up driving up to a local dealer and bought a gallon of the Honda GN4 10w-40. I was going to buy the Honda HP4S 10w-30 but they didn't have it in stock. He tried to sell me the HP4M which I was aware enough to know that was not for the GW. He confirmed it with the GW Master Tech they have.

I did the oil change this evening (a little fiddly with the fasteners for the cowl) and took it for a test drive. All I can say is Wow. The shifting and the lubrication is like nothing I've ever experienced before. I actually got 50% better mpg and I'm pretty sure I got a 23% increase in HP. Several young ladies waved at me too. I'm sold on this oil.

Actually, it was fine and I did the false shift into neutral twice from first gear with the Toe-heel shifter which is nothing new. Is this a thing with these bikes? I clunk it pretty hard from first and it lands in neutral.

Do you think some different tires would augment the oil selection and alleviate my shifting issues? :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have Dino Rotella t4 15w40 in my 1500 right now. It’s only because the bike sat with year old oil at the dealer that had it. I rode it the 500 miles home and I had the gallon jug of rotella already in my garage so I switched it out. I have another bike that I upstarted using Castrol 4T 10w40 synthetic in, I’ll probably use that next, though it might be a while as I generally follow manufacturers oil change intervals.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Different tires won't alleviate the shifting issue, but if you pick the right ones they'll add another 10 horsepower (5 hp each) and make your teeth three shades whiter.

From what I've read, heel-toe shifters can create issues on the GL1800 but I don't have direct experience. Might be worth a google-fu or two.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Heel and toe shifters have been noted to cause your problem make sure that the linkage is adjusted correctly and lubed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts