Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously owned a 2006 wing. The stereo auxiliary connector was under the left storage compartment, and the handlebar control switches would illuminate at night. I just bought a 2003 GL1800. I don't find the auxiliary connector under the left storage compartment and the handlebar controls do not illuminate.
My questions are:
1. Where is the auxiliary connector?
2. Do the handlebar switches illuminate, or is it an option on the '03 model?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's there, it's inside a black rubber boot, under the pocket, there is another plug in the boot also, that one is for a power connection. Maybe the owner of the 03 never had it connected, you can get the plug from a Honda dealer, On the 03 the handlebar controls are not lighted.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where do you call home. Enjoy the site and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Your welcome, and thank you

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't know if the plugs in the black boot under the left pocket are the same size or not but I believe the red one is for a power plug to use for charging phones,etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As Red Rob states, the red plug is for the 12Volt power point (Cigarette lighter) and the white plug (3 pins) is the auxillary input to the stereo..

Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an 02 and wondered if there was a problem or if the handlebar switches were/weeren't illuminated or if something wasn't working. I then bought the 01-04 honda service manual which has the electrical schematic. Page 23-19 for the "after 03" configuration shows 2 connectors for the "left handlebar switch lights" and 1 connector coming for the "right handlebar switch lights." The earlier schematics is identical with the after 03 EXCEPT the connectors coming off the wires that are on the 01-03 schematic which makes me believe to add the handle bar switch illumination lighting is just a matter of splicing into the wiring harness. 2 wires coming off the accessories relay, the Lg/Bl - light green/black stripe( i believe is the + wire) and the G-green (the negative wire). These are the same wires that power the accessory socket option in the left dash pocket. They didn't change the accessory fuse rating from 03-04 so i assume the wiring gauge is the same. I guess the adding of the 4 bulbs in the "right combination switch" and the 2 bulbs in the "left combination switch" additional current draw is within the capacity of the 01-03 accessory wiring and fuse.
My question is if the switches are otherwise the same with the exception of the 04 switches having the 2 wires coming out of them for the switch illumination ? I will assume they are the same unless someone tells me otherwise.
So it's basically a matter of popping out the left dash pocket and splicing into the 2 wires and running these 2 spliced wires to each of the new switches wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rivco light kit

You could purchase the plug and light kit from Rivco. I love mine.
I didn't see a light kit for the goldwing at rivcoproducts.com, 52 items listed under for goldwing tab but no light kits. Is it a generic kit or specifically for the wing. Does it shine down above the switches ?
I looked at 04 and later switch pods and as expected they are a couple of hundred for each side.
I guess i can keep my watch on ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
03 wing schematic

Do you know where I can get a schematic for the '03 Goldwing?
i'm new to the list and the wingworld altogetherfor that matter. I have a srevice manual that has the 03 electrical schematic. You ever find the schematic back in april when you posted that you were looking for one ? I can email you one.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The wiring diagrams for the 01-05 model total 23 pages from the service manual. You'd be wise to break it up into several sections to save file space if you are to send it to cjr Gary. I'd be happy to do the same thing from my end also. Take a pick cjr and PM one of us, we'll get you the diagrams.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts