Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the plug that comes with the owners manual? I hooked it up, and the sound quality is terrible. It sounds like only one channel is comming out. Even if it was mono, on well known songs where I know there is supposed to be lead guitar or vocals on one channel or the other they are barely audible if not at all. The guy at the bike shop says this jack is not stero, and that is as good as it gets, but I don't buy it. I play Ipods and my Iphone on many different systems, and the jack for the honda is a stereo style jack. Any comments?:confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed the aux jack on my 2010 GW. Works great with my Ipod Touch. Sound is very good. Definitely getting stereo out of both speakers.
Maybe you have a bad aux connector?
Rob

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I have it and use it with my 80gb iPod. Cannot say enough about how well it sounds (especially when you turn on the ambience option!) Sounds like either the plug or wire is bad. Good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Works Great with my ipod....definitely in stereo....I only wish I could change songs while driving....GW 2010...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Works Great with my ipod....definitely in stereo....I only wish I could change songs while driving....GW 2010...
You and me both! Why Honda doesn't have a stock iPod interface on a Goldwing that is like most cars these days, I'll never understand.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sounds like (no pun intended) you have a faulty jack. If your dealer won't do anything for you, find another dealer. You can also check with Workbench if you are a GWRRA member.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I use mine and it works great. Just came back from a 6 day, 1,900 mile trip and played my IPod Nano all day long without problems. I know what you mean about switching. I just shuffle and let it pick. Ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
The plug could be defective, since the bike is new ask for a new plug from your dealership. If the same happens again the problem may be with the wires leading to the sound system that the auxillary plugs into.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have some problem. As others have said, it works pretty well.

Are you using helmet speakers or the bike speakers?
Does it sound the same on both, and does it sound the same on your front pigtail and passenger pigtail, and does it sound the same on your passenger's headset as yours.
If you don't have helmet audio, find somebody who does to try different options.

Audio problems like this are very often (well, almost always) caused by the helmet harnesses. The Hondaline headsets (cheap J&Ms) are notorious for pins breaking in the helmet to curly cable connection, and the symptoms are as you describe.

If you can eliminate external audio, then pull the aux cable and check for bent pins, or pins that have been pushed out of the connector and aren't making good contact (on both sides). Perhaps reseating the connector will help. Also, the connector is polarized, make sure you are plugging it in correctly.

Let us know what you find, or if all that comes back negative.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works
Florida Prowler #97

1 - 12 of 12 Posts