Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2021 GW and headed out on a 2500 mile trip to have some fun.

I use the GPS navigation all the time so I’ve been trying different things. But I can’t get the map auto zoom to work the way I think it should.

Auto zoom is enabled in Settings. I can manually change the zoom but it never zooms in until I get close enough to the next turn to trigger the 300’ zoom level.

As an example, if I’m on the 6 mile zoom level, it will stay on that level until it changes to 300’, skipping all levels between.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

NJMike

·
Registered
27 Posts
That might be the way it's designed. Mine auto zooms like that when I'm prompted for a turn or exit, or prompted NOT to turn or take an exit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went on a ride, and on the screen my "arrow", which is me, just drove off the screen. And that was that! Didn't even track me. I declined pulling over or worse -- fiddling with the system while riding. I gave up trying to figure this out and bought a paper map. Hahaha. It was just all so distracting. I'll fiddle with it when it's snowing. For now? Paper. (y)

·
Registered
539 Posts
@curtnfifi, there must be an auto-center function, and kudos for not trying to figure it out while in motion. I may have been tempted to fiddle with it out of OCD. There may also be a speed sensitivity that needs to be enabled or tuned?

Reminds me of my wife's Jeep. Upon delivery, the GPS showed us heading due east when we were heading due north. Put us in the middle of Saratoga Lake. That was the least of the problems with that piece of American made craftsmanship.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it’s a software issue. It autozooms from any setting to 300’ and then back to the original level. It skips everything in between.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@curtnfifi, there must be an auto-center function, and kudos for not trying to figure it out while in motion. I may have been tempted to fiddle with it out of OCD. There may also be a speed sensitivity that needs to be enabled or tuned?

Reminds me of my wife's Jeep. Upon delivery, the GPS showed us heading due east when we were heading due north. Put us in the middle of Saratoga Lake. That was the least of the problems with that piece of American made craftsmanship.
Haha. I ride around Kansas. Not THAT many roads. One reason I also got a map was to have a better sense of where I was. My friend has the kansas motorcycle map burned in his brain. My son? If his iPhone stops telling him where to go, he is lost. I think using a map will help me get better internal bearings. Also, it can get me lost, which also leads to fun adventures.

I even feel this way about the entertainment system. I like hearing the sound of the motor -- even though the drone of my bike hits me right in the ear. But the sound system works well for me, should I ever chose to listen to it.

I suspect it is not even really possible, but I swear the motorcycle navigation and Apple Car Play were getting in to an argument over my directions. And talk about use friendly. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to turn off the navigation when I did finally stop. But...it's all a learning curve. I will figure it out. It is all fun, really. Doesn't that big rotating selector knob have a great high quality feel to it?

(I once had a 1979 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Talk about fine craftsmanship, haha. It was biodegradable. And precise as a drunken sailor. Total junk. But, fun junk. I was younger then.)

Best regards.

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Man, it's that way I too used a paper map ,atlas you know, anyway after
A while you start to pick up what they're laying down with their system, After you get your Sirius hooked up and your radar the whole bit and mount your phone to your bike on the handlebars everything will be zen you can get rid of the Atlas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the interesting comments but let’s remember the original issue - auto zoom does not work.

It’s hard to believe that no one has complained since the 2018 model came out. My brother has that year mode and his does not work either.

Is there a Honda contact number that owners can call and talk to a Honda rep?

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
New Jersey Mike,After riding goldwings for a little while I guess I haven't complained about this one and maybe I should on some issues... things could have been a little more user friendly with the navigation and such., but they made me a Corvette, a goldwing but it handles like A sport bike that isn't for everybody, I knew about these issues before I bought the bike, but I absolutely love That there are literally tens of thousands of dollars of accessories for this baby, I like the touch screens that they put on some of the Is other brands of bikes. I Think there will be A upgradedownload

1 - 9 of 9 Posts