Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted that my 1997 GL1500SE engine was stalling when I went up a long, steep grade and the motor was under stress. The bike ran great the rest of the time. Many of you gave me good suggestions on where to look. I finally found a grade about an hour from home where I could recreate the scenario and the engine would stall. I replaced the fuel filter and fiddled with the gas cap and there was no positive effect. I finally bypassed the auto fuel shutoff valve and the bike ran great without stalling. I purchased a MightyVac vacuum gauge and hooked it up to the auto shutoff valve as shown in the repair manual. I could not get a vacuum to show on the gauge. I removed the valve and disassembled it and found a large rip in the outer perimeter of the diaphram. I have searched all over for a rebuild kit, but they are obviously a discontinued item and unavailable. I don't want to spend the $125 for a new valve and will continue to ride with it bypassed. It seems that my only risk is if I leave the key on and fuel pump energized it could flood the bike if the carb float seats don't hold. The chance that a siphon effect from the fuel tank through the carbs seems very unlikely. I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and for helping me diagnos this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
thanks for the feedback. that is how we all learn.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
I remember your previous post, Glad that you nailed it down. I have heard that some guys bypass them as you have & leave them that way. Do what's right for you & all should work out.

Thanks for sharing your story hopefully it will help someone else.

Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Way to go. Persistance payed off. Glad you found your problem and can now enjoy riding your Wing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5 Posts
A while back I posted that my 1997 GL1500SE engine was stalling when I went up a long, steep grade and the motor was under stress. The bike ran great the rest of the time. Many of you gave me good suggestions on where to look. I finally found a grade about an hour from home where I could recreate the scenario and the engine would stall. I replaced the fuel filter and fiddled with the gas cap and there was no positive effect. I finally bypassed the auto fuel shutoff valve and the bike ran great without stalling. I purchased a MightyVac vacuum gauge and hooked it up to the auto shutoff valve as shown in the repair manual. I could not get a vacuum to show on the gauge. I removed the valve and disassembled it and found a large rip in the outer perimeter of the diaphram. I have searched all over for a rebuild kit, but they are obviously a discontinued item and unavailable. I don't want to spend the $125 for a new valve and will continue to ride with it bypassed. It seems that my only risk is if I leave the key on and fuel pump energized it could flood the bike if the carb float seats don't hold. The chance that a siphon effect from the fuel tank through the carbs seems very unlikely. I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and for helping me diagnos this problem.
I also bypassed the fuel peacock valve years ago eliminating any future issues. Haven’t had any issues at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.