Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smelled gas during the last couple of rides. Turned out the auto fuel valve was leaking. This unit sits in front of the gas tank cap. I checked the fuel lines and am sure the leak does not come from the fuel lines. Questions: What is the function of this Auto Fuel Valve? and is it easy to replaced? If I order the new valve, can I just pop out the old one and put in the new one? I do not want to leave the bike at the dealer and have to arrange rides to drop off and pick up bike. My bike is a 2000 1500SE. Thanks for your advise/comments.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello HPham,Sounds like you can handle the repair.You can put a new diapraghm in the valve,or as i have read on here,a lot of people have eliminated the valve completely with no adverse effects,or driveability issues.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
You can rebuild the valve yourself. I got my kit from Venco Wings, Jim Veene great people to do business with Phone#866-648-3626
If I remember right the kit runs about $30.00 plus or minus a few buck. Took me maybe 1 1/2 hours.
Good luck
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ron. I ordered the kit, will know by this coming weekend if I'm successful or not. Hai

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
It's not a difficult job. Just watch when you open the two halves. You'll want to be aware of which side the spring goes on and the position of the little nipple on the diaphragm. When I opened mine things just kind of fell out. Had to figure things out myself.
Best of luck.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Repair kit came today. Spent total 2 hours, about one hour to remove the valve and put in the new parts; the other hour was for putting other motorcycle panel, seat back in place. Have not taken bike on the road for test yet but idling 5-10 minutes did not get any leak. Consider a success. Thanks to all. Hai

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Repair kit came today. Spent total 2 hours, about one hour to remove the valve and put in the new parts; the other hour was for putting other motorcycle panel, seat back in place. Have not taken bike on the road for test yet but idling 5-10 minutes did not get any leak. Consider a success. Thanks to all. Hai
HP: If the weather looks good, let's ride this weekend. How about a ride down Crest Hill road to Flint Hill on 522. Grab a burger and ice tea at the Pub and be home by dinner time ?

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
AAAAAhhh that's what I like to hear a success storey. Glad everything worked out well for you. Hope you get to go for that ride with Chopin, it's supposed to be wet around here the rest of the week.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chopin, it's 50/50 that I can do a several-hour ride this weekend on Sunday morning. If I can't, I still like to meet you some day since you are right here in town.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Chopin, it's 50/50 that I can do a several-hour ride this weekend on Sunday morning. If I can't, I still like to meet you some day since you are right here in town.
It's always 50/50. I can go or I'm not allowed to go. It doesn't have to be a several hour ride. Could meet at the 7-11 at the junction of 15 and 234, head west on Waterfall Rd ( 601 ) to Marshall, and then blow some carbon deposits off the pistons back down 66. An hour ride tops. And all before the late morning prayer services are over.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
If it's not raining I'll be there at 8:57.
HPham, It is my experiance that he will probably be there at about 9:10. He's usually late & blames GPS.:D

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
That's just plain re-duct-ulous my friend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chopin, it's 32 degrees outside my house this morning (8am); frost on cars' windows. Tomorrow temp might be the same. I do not have heated gear, heated seat or grips. If it's cold like today, can we delay the ride a little, a couple of hours. My cell 703.801.5975.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Choose wisely gentlemen, 'tis the season of black ice at those temps. Even without the icing, m/c rubber gets pretty skittish on pavement that cold, traction is poor at best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts