Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning I'm riding 200 miles southwest to Austin to visit two of my sons and a grandaughter for the weekend. This will my first overnight trip alone on my new trike. Rain is predicted as raingear will be packed. A nice little shake down trip before the Palo Duro meet and greet next month.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Have fun & hopefully you can leave Rudolph in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys. Took Deb to airport this morning at 3am and hit a dog not far from my home. Saw it at last moment and could do nothing. Broke my parking light and trim piece on truck bumper. It was a large white Shepard. Can't imagine doing that on my bike. Have a safe weekend guys.

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
Hope you have a good ride. Watch out for them critters. The one I fear is a buzzard. I've come close a couple times. Once I ducked my head and swear his wing feathers brushed me.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Sounds like you and Betty have seen it all Ron. Yep, just saw your map and Bill too. My you guys have ridden. Hope the rain holds off too George and then again I haven't ridden in much rain so the experience is going to be interesting. And Mark, I know what you mean about buzzards coming off road kill; dam scary. We seem to have allot of road kill here in Texas too. Maybe that's why I seldom travel at night. Come to think of it; never seen a buzzard at night though. Of course we have our usual fare of deer, antelope, wild hogs, armadillo, ****, coyote etc.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Ride safe Dan. And stay warm. Missing the PDC M&G for an injury or illness will not be acceptable.

How long is Deb gonna be gone?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Tomorrow morning I'm riding 200 miles southwest to Austin to visit two of my sons and a grandaughter for the weekend. This will my first overnight trip alone on my new trike. Rain is predicted as raingear will be packed. A nice little shake down trip before the Palo Duro meet and greet next month.
The forecast for Austin for Friday is Cloudy with light drizzle in the morning, possible light showers during the day (10%) with a high of 78 degrees. Winds will be out of the south 10 to 15. Careful out there on I 35 if thats the way your coming. Lots of trucks. Austin will be crowded cause the Texas Relays are this weekend and a couple other venues have brought in a lot of visitors. Keep a close eye on the speed from Georgetown on in cause the cops are feeding like Great Whites on a whale carcass. Later....:2gunsfiring_v1:Isaac

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Randy and Isaac.

Randy, are we riding up together to Palo Duro? Deb's gone for 2 weeks.

Isaac, riding down 79 all the way to Georgetown. Thanks for heads up but no I-35 for me this trip. The little towns along the way are lurking speed traps though.

May get to try out my new waterproof Garmin on this trip.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A perfect ride to Austin with a funny story to boot. About 50 miles NE out of Austin I start seeing Texas blue bonnets. They're splayed across the bar ditches flanked by the Indian Paintbrush. I kept looking for a flat area to pull off. The flowers grow in large cluster patches but are spotty. I was afraid I wouldn't stop and my Sunday ride back may be in rain, so I pulled off and the bar ditch sloped off more steeply than I thought. I felt invincipal though with my Tow Pac and rode down the hill to the bottom of the bar ditch right next to the flowers. This was a perfect photo op as I fired off my phone and camera. Hoped on the bike and dropped it in low and my back tire just spinned. I think it moved forward about three feet. Put it in reverse and backed back out of my little mini hole my tire had dug. This time trying pulling out in second and same thing; spinning tire. So, I got off bike and dropped it into reverse and walked the trike backwards at an angle up the bar ditch to the black top.

So, what's the lesson Dan; stay out of bar ditches. If it had been a full conversion trike I would have had no problem. Sounds like I was high center with the rear drive wheel. I would have been better to either park half way on blacktop and grass or on the side of the hill. As they say; the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Pictures on Sunday when I get back to computer.

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
Technically, he was using a four wheeler as a three wheeler. :)

Good report, can't wait to see the pictures.

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
Glad you had a good ride. Look forward to the pictures. I've only seen Texas bluebonnets once.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Now, I want the rest of you to notice how steep the hills are here in Texas.

Sorry, Dan. I just lost control.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I went out and rode Park road 4 today on Inks Lake which is normally covered in Bluebonnets. The drought has really had an effect on the amount of wild flowers. They are sketchy at best. Its still early in the season so maybe they will show more color later but right now its not good. We sure need rain. :icon_cry:Isaac

1 - 20 of 43 Posts