Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will and I and our co-riding mates met today for our first official planning session for our Seattle to Nova Scotia trip in August. Will is moving to Seattle this summer as we will trailer our bike to our starting point with them in the NW and ride the Trans Canadian Hwy across the provinces to Cape Breton Island. Our itinerary includes taking the ferry and riding in New Foundland, riding the Cabot Trail, some coastal riding in Maine, riding back through New England and the Adirondacks in upper state New York and Glacier National Park in Montana. It's allot of miles for us old timers and hopefully our wives can survive the trip both ways as well. May God bless these dreams and desires. :rightsidecar:

G

·
Please pay attention to your sidecar wheel its wobbly.Maybe i will catch a ride up north in September with Crownfire and team.I hope they come this way for the way up.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
:WellDone::WellDone:eek:ok forward to your ride report and photo's. What a trip you are planning. You are going to a top place and you have great company. How much better can it get.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Don't know if we'll be around what with the N.W. meet and greet getting started on August 2nd. If we are around I'd like to see you off if you cross over the border up here.. And for sure see you when you get back.
Be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Giz, Eric and Ron. The trip has grown from it's inception as one originally from Texas as we both live her presently, however Will is officially retiring in April and moving to Seattle this summer. I've never ridden that far as it is 3900 miles each way, not including riding around the areas. I think this is one that I'll need to seriously consider losing some weight and exercise as it would probably make the trip less painful and fun. My longest ride so far has been 3000 miles to Colorado. Both our wives have some physical issues which could factor into the ride. We plan to ride about 400 miles or less daily so we can enjoy it.

Yes Ron, Will and I will keep in touch. Our plan is to take the ferry over to Vancouver and start at the beginning of the Trans Canadian and head east. We're thinking about a mid August departure.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Dan, let us know your departure date as things progress. The TC is 300 miles south of me, but you never know what kind of cheering section you could have in the Calgary area with a litlle prompting. edmkc and possibly ourselves just may cross paths as you head out (they'll be a tad ahead of us on their way out to Ron and Betty's) so yeah, let us know please.:elated:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan, let us know your departure date as things progress. The TC is 300 miles south of me, but you never know what kind of cheering section you could have in the Calgary area with a litlle prompting. edmkc and possibly ourselves just may cross paths
Yep, going thru Calgary and yes Daryl, it would be fun to connect with our Canadian friends going across. My memories of driving the TC many many years ago in the open expanses of the western provinces was driving into a terrific thunderstorm that we could see many miles away. I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike in that storm. Of course when you're on a trip, one is committed and must endure all riding conditions. For sure, I'm ditching my Frogg Toggs for better rain wear. Recently they fell apart after using for the first time in several years. Actually the lower ankle zippers broke (both) on the pants. Someone said that storing them in plastic bags, like I did, accelerates the break down of things like elastic draw strings like on the pants. Must be true because my draw string looks feeble too. You guys have any suggestions on quality rain wear that is breathable?

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
What!!! For a month I 've been telling people we need to consider the fact that DanB is gonna have the longest ride to Palo Duro Canyon. And now I see this. What the hell am I worried about.

OOOHHH. There better be pictures.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What!!! For a month I 've been telling people we need to consider the fact that DanB is gonna have the longest ride to Palo Duro Canyon. And now I see this. What the hell am I worried about.

OOOHHH. There better be pictures.
Ok, here's the deal Randy. I can go on this trip if.....................I re-focus on health and fitness. If I do, I go and if I don't, I don't go. This will be my reward for sticking with it. I've got 6 months to shape up or ship out to the rendering plant. So, breakfast at Palo Duro Canyon will probably cut the bacon. If you see me pushing my bike around the park it's not broke down, need the exercise. :dancing troll:

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Dan, you know the truth is I'm jealous, wishing I could go with you. I know you'll all do what's needed and make the trip a great one.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan, you know the truth is I'm jealous, wishing I could go with you. I know you'll all do what's needed and make the trip a great one.
We gotta do a ride Randy overnight up to Beavers Bemd sometime. I enjoy riding with you good buddy.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Stick to your guns Dan and trust your wife's judgement. She married you after all.:HappyRoll:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Dan, let us know your departure date as things progress. The TC is 300 miles south of me, but you never know what kind of cheering section you could have in the Calgary area with a litlle prompting. edmkc and possibly ourselves just may cross paths as you head out (they'll be a tad ahead of us on their way out to Ron and Betty's) so yeah, let us know please.:elated:
Yes, absolutely keep us informed. You never know who you'll meet where!

Yep, going thru Calgary and yes Daryl, it would be fun to connect with our Canadian friends going across. My memories of driving the TC many many years ago in the open expanses of the western provinces was driving into a terrific thunderstorm that we could see many miles away. I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike in that storm. Of course when you're on a trip, one is committed and must endure all riding conditions. For sure, I'm ditching my Frogg Toggs for better rain wear. Recently they fell apart after using for the first time in several years. Actually the lower ankle zippers broke (both) on the pants. Someone said that storing them in plastic bags, like I did, accelerates the break down of things like elastic draw strings like on the pants. Must be true because my draw string looks feeble too. You guys have any suggestions on quality rain wear that is breathable?
Calgary!!! What's up with that!! (just kidding Calgary). In all seriousness though, if you have the time/opportunity to do the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper, you won't regret it. Also, the highway conditions on #16 from Edmonton to Regina are currently a LOT better than much of the stretch from Calgary to Regina. Something to consider. And while the scenery is pretty flat and bland either way you go, IMHO it's not quite so desolate feeling traveling on #16. Just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you have the time/opportunity to do the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper, you won't regret it. Also, the highway conditions on #16 from Edmonton to Regina are currently a LOT better than much of the stretch from Calgary to Regina. Something to consider. And while the scenery is pretty flat and bland either way you go, IMHO it's not quite so desolate feeling traveling on #16. Just my 2cents.
Thanks so much as we may do the Icefield Parkway. I'll pass along to Will. He's in charge of the Canadan ride and me the US return trip.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I've traveled the Maritime Provinces extensively, but not so the rest of Canada. Sure would appreciate input on places to see along our route. Can't remember the last time I was this pumped!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Will, took the words out of me mouth regarding suggestions in the various provinces. Quite frankly I'm stoked so far that my wife appears to be open to doing this trip with me.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The Parkway would only add maybe a full day to your travels and like kc mentions it'w really a 'must do' for the Rockies/Western Canada. You can also make great time on 16 when you get into the prairie lands! Jasper is a bit more quaint than Banff as far as the touristy mountain town goes, although there's more to spend yer dough on in Banff:Suspicious: Both locations have the sky tram to oggle the scenery with, and there's lots of little out of the way sights both ways that are worth seeing.
From Winnipeg east, you're getting into the Shield country and there's lots of places to see from Kenora and around down through the Great Lakes region. Hopefully Badrider, Camer, Stratman et al can offer up some of the Canada Central info for you guys (I've never travelled through the GTA myself), and once into Quebec we have members there that can give you pointers too. I'm more familiar with the lower St Lawrence countryside form Montreal to Quebec City and it's gorgeous! Traffic in Toronto and Montreal cities scare the bejeebers outa this country boy though.
Sounds like a great adventure to me.

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
Dan & Will,
Sounds like an epic ride! Dan you just need to keep on keeping on you can do it. Keep us in the loop on your dates and you never know who might show up along the route!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.