Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new here and on my first wing I guess Im what you guys would call a Harley pirate. See we have the Wing, a Harley that ive had for years and my wifes Suzuki 700 intruder. She and I both have always rode with the leather, we are patched with an organization that we founded, not a outlaw mc or even an mc but the uninformed see a back patch on more than three riders and think what they think. Im your typical bearded long haired david mann drawing looking sort of guy lol.
That said heres been my expierience riding all three bikes as far as how other riders and the public react. On the wifes suzuki which is all black no tank badges most unless they are sorta in the know think its a harley. I get waves, and conversation from the harley guys and the simple cruiser guys. Public avoids me on first blush at gas stations etc unless they want a picture took with me lol. On the harley I get waves from about everybody except the bmw and wing crowd, gas stations etc I get avoided at first unless its another harley rider.
Now the puzzling thing lol. On the Wing, I dont get waves from Harley guys or cruser guys NOR the Wing riders. Gas stations I climb off all leathered up since its cold now long hair etc and nobody talks though I get a lot of puzzled looks from all of the above. If I stay around long enough one or two might come over to look at the bike mostly other wing guys but normally they do it while im inside and sort of wander off when I come out and head for the bike.:confused:
Now when I only rode the Harley I waved at everbody I met cuz myself I dont give a rats behind what you ride as long as you ride .
But there is a definite bias as to what your riding how you look and the reactions you get from other riders and the public in general.
As a side note, our back patch is a childrens charity patch one piece no rockers etc. two seconds to read it and you know what it is but either folks cant read or just dont take the time I dont reckon. Just my own expierience since gettin the Wing vs the other bikes :D

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
ghostrider, There was another thread on the site about "the wave being dead" & in my post to it I commented that here in PA (don't know where you're from) it generally is alive. However I noticed when on my Nighthawk I sometimes am blown off by Wing guys. I do not look the bad biker part. Hair (what's left of it:eek:) is cut with #2 clipper, wear a full faced helmet, textile coat & jeans mostly, but I can cover ground with the best of them.

You bring up interesting points & I for one have been in similar instances. In closing I will say what I said in that thread "wave if you want to but don't dwell on it". Besides do you really care what people think? ;) I don't

·
Super Moderator
10,044 Posts
I'm a waver.. Always have and always will. I even talk to long haired biker dudes.. But then again I just love to ride and expect that others that ride share the same passion I do. Ride safe...... and wave...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wave to all bikers out there on the highways and byways just like so many others of us do.I figure if they're getting rained on,eating bugs,dodging potholes,watching for flying debris off vehicles,tar patches,left hand turners,etc. etc. and a percentage of the public that just doesn't understand us they deserve a wave. If they don't high five back well thats their problem. I'm friendly to all anyway. Also my hat is off to the long distance
riders on Bicycles too,have you ever peddled a bike up hill in a head wind with a heavy pack in the rain,I have,not fun,just strength,dedication and determination to the choosen passtime.They get a wave from me every time.

Robert

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
I do acknowledge other riders but what I say is wave if you want to but don't get bent out of shape if others don't wave back. Remember this We are all doing something we love to do "Riding on 2 wheels with a motor"

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
It's always been a big thing for me, ever since I was a young punk on my Norton. People just waived at you. Now, there weren't near the number of riders then, so it was kind of a cult thing or a common bond issue. Sometimes now, ther's so many riders, its gets distracting or tedious to wave at everyone. Something I did learn about Wingers a long time ago though, don't always look for the left hand. Goldwings have had electronic cruise controls for decades, and before that they (and the Beemer crowd mostly as well) had throttle locks, so you might miss a wave from the right hand. It's what all my HD buddies used to say "those Goldwing guys with their cruise controls always wave with the wrong hand" LOL

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
But i will tell you though that my favorite ones to wave at are those little heads stuck up by the back door glass of dad's car. i love the look on the faces of those kids that just got a wave from that guy on the motorcycle. God Bless them all.
You are correct rick. The wife & I get more of a kick out of the youngsters also. My wife especially loves the little timid ones that you can tell are chomping at the bit, but not quite sure & when she initiates it, it's "Game on".

Wish we had the headsets, bike is wired up for em but I dont know enough about em to know which ones to get or probably the cash at the moment to afford em if I did.
Do it if at all possible before your trip you won't be sorry. That is when Wife & I are at our best, on the road & can just have a quick conversation & music as well.
Here is a link to relatively low cost setup that we have had for 4 years now with no issues. Hope this helps.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...st/electronics/30_J_M_Electronics/mfg/?page=3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.