Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ... (for me) my 2012 Goldwing GL1800 went from zero to hero. (just like life’s ups and downs)... 2 weeks ago - broken rear-part of front fender (nasty rattles), all gauges went blank (speedometer, tach, fuel, temp), no tail lights, and frosty/hazy windshield. Soooo ... installed new fender w new connecting side pieces, diagnosed electrical prob (direct short on after-market lights) , installed a new windshield, and replaced a few missing nuts, bushings and screws. OMGosh - I’m in love with my 48k-mi Goldwing again. Solid, strong, and beautiful. And to say that the sound system rocks is a gross understatement. Honda engineers knew that they were doing. I love my Goldwing!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,103 Posts
I'm happy to hear that things worked out.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
…I’m done with the front fender extender too! AND I’m VERY particular about any after-market lighting! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
glad you got it going again. I had fender extenders on my Wings and never had a problem.Here is my 08 with a extender and an extra rubber flap.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! That’s kinda what mine looked like - but I guess we may have more potholes in Texas than in California. This is the 2nd time I’ve had to replace the rear part of my front fender - along with the side panels. I think whatever I’ve been hitting is forcing the fender up - snapping the tabs off and cracking the side panels. But this time I left off the extender and I don’t think I’ll have to go down that road again. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Glad you got your ills sorted out. Often times "farkles"create far more issues than they save us.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
glad you got it going again. I had fender extenders on my Wings and never had a problem.Here is my 08 with a extender and an extra rubber flap.
Joe, your bikes are always so beautiful and immaculately maintained.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. And I guess I'm just lucky with not having a fender vrack with the mud flap issue, I know it happens a lot. I don't remember who it was but 1 manufacturer had a brace that came with their fender extenders.

·
Premium Member
23,672 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. And I guess I'm just lucky with not having a fender vrack with the mud flap issue, I know it happens a lot. I don't remember who it was but 1 manufacturer had a brace that came with their fender extenders.
When you finally remember, let me know.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
After I put the regular fender extender on my 08 the lower cowl still got dirt and road grime on it so I made a rubber extension on it that you can see in my other post.

·
Premium Member
23,672 Posts
After I put the regular fender extender on my 08 the lower cowl still got dirt and road grime on it so I made a rubber extension on it that you can see in my other post.
Yes sir. The only thing my fender extender did was crack the fender. I noted the extension.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I guess I was just lucky or didn't ride the rough roads that some of you that had a crack fender rode.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I am not sure why people install these extenders as in most cases all they do is wreck the fender which is delicate to start with. It's one of those zero benefit items.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts