Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I returned to riding in 2008 after a long hiatus, I found myself following the example of some of my riding friends wearing ATGATT. Despite the horrid summer temps here in Texas I made no exceptions and always wore a modular helmet, mesh jacket and pants, gloves and boots. These days I still always wear a mesh jacket, gloves, boots over the ankle and a modular helmet. Basically I've stopped wearing my mesh over pants as they're the one piece of gear I dislike wearing most. A friend of mine did a low side a few years ago wearing jeans and suffered some road rash as they afforded him little protection. These days he wears ATGATT. I've also read that the legs get the most road rash damage in a crash. Am I stupid to stop wearing my mesh riding pants?

BTW, Debbie just gave me a birthday gift that she ordered and just came in, a Tourmaster Air Intake 3 mesh jacket, black and white. It's got a double liner just like my winter jacket a Tourmaster Transitions. The Air Intake looks like it could be worn in winter and summer here in Texas and would be a great jacket for trips with wild swings in temps as long as one brought the liners.

PS For you wise guys I do wear pants; jeans

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
I've done a little research for riding jeans for Eric. Might want to look into Drayko Jeans
Kevlar reinforced

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
In summer I wear the Kevlar Jeans. You get about 6 time the drag time of ordinary jeans. Hopefully by then I have stopped. In winter I like the protection of the armor in my riding pants.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done a little research for riding jeans for Eric. Might want to look into Drayko Jeans
Kevlar reinforced
Have you worn these Ron? How long do they last with regular washing? I think they cost nearly as much as mesh over pants. Are they high quality for the money. In other words are they worth the money since they don't seem to be any cheaper?

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Have you worn these Ron? How long do they last with regular washing? I think they cost nearly as much as mesh over pants. Are they high quality for the money. In other words are they worth the money since they don't seem to be any cheaper?
I have worn these jeans for 4 years now and they still look good. When washing or drying them, don't turn them insideout. The sun effects the kevlar. I tend to wear the Kevlar in summer and wear the mesh in winter. On our USA trip both Vanessa and I will be wearing the Kevlar for the whole trip. I have not done the crash test with Kevlar yet, someone maybe able to tell you how they stand up to that. Frosty was wearing mesh riding pants when he tested them down the road and they held up well. Eric

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Like you, when I got back into this I bought mesh/textile gear (Olympia in my case). I always wear the jacket and normally wear my armored overpants with or without the liners, depending on temperature. The only exception is for my 10 minute ride to work, I just wear regular jeans. I bought a cheap pair of kevlar lined jeans, but don't wear them that often. They weigh a ton and don't really wear much like regular jeans. Someday I'd like to get a good pair of riding jeans, but for now I'll make do with the overpants.

Edit: didn't mention, but also always wear helmet (the law here, but would anyway), gloves and proper boots.

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
When the temperature goes up, my gear comes off. In Washington State, it is mandatory to wear a helmet. If it were not, I would only wear one in the winter / spring and fall.

In Utah and Arizona, and any other state where the helmet is option, I wear a wide brim hat for sun protection when the it gets hot. I will wear an over the ankle boot, or tennis shoes.

:)

I believe that fatigue is a major factor in motorcycle accidents and the helmet is the biggest cause of motorcycle fatigue. Yes, I have been down on a motorcycle. Yes, I was wearing a helmet.

Just my opinion.

Year before last, I spent a month in South Dakota in July and never saw another rider with a helmet on.

I am in Arizona now and I haven't seen a helmeted rider down here yet. I did see one ATGATT rider at the Grand Canyon. He was dressed for an accident.

By the way, it was 101 in Phoenix yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
i've goone from mtgatt to atgatt. dan i just wear a pair of short pantss under the mesh pants when its hot

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Dan, here's an option that may interest you. I have these & wear them under my jeans. Comfortable enough that you can wear them all day. I do take them off once I get to the office because I don't ride again until it's time to go home for the day. I really like them.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?gclid=CLTKpbWnza8CFcJM4AodYDkqaA#Order

Everyone needs to do what suits them the best, me I like to ride with gear on but then again I've been known to do some Bull Riding so I guess you shouldn't judge by my actions.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
I ride prepared for the worst: rain gear stored in the right saddlebag.
most of my gear is water proof so i don't wear the rain gear. my summur mesh pants are water resistance

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
I wear full (ATGATT) gear most of the time, regardless of weather. I will at times forgo the riding pants for jeans, but it isn't often and only on the Wing, never the RC. I have two CE armoured jackets and our pants are the same textile with the CE protectors. I had the pads out of my sport jacket some years back, and I put it back in one morning and it's been there ever since. I wear a ff lid on the RC, and our HJC IS-33's on the Wing; above ankle touring boots, and gauntlet gloves; His & Hers Nirvana (Joe Rocket) touring jacket and pants. I'm looking at a set of leather pants for the RC, but they may take a second seat due to the desire for the CB on the Wing, and money's a bit tight so.
Asphalt...the greatest tattoo remover. 3 seconds of protection just could save your skin, and a lot more.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan, here's an option that may interest you. I have these & wear them under my jeans. Comfortable enough that you can wear them all day. I do take them off once I get to the office because I don't ride again until it's time to go home for the day. I really like them.

Everyone needs to do what suits them the best, me I like to ride with gear on but then again I've been known to do some Bull Riding so I guess you shouldn't judge by my actions.;)
Thanks guys for all your tips. The Bohn pants look interesting Bill, just need some loose fitting jeans as mine are a litle snugger these days. I'll do some more homework and check out Ron's tip on Draggin Jeans too. Doc, I also wear shorts under over pants or comando style too. Deb asked me recently, "do we have to wear the riding pants"? I've compromised and we've been wearing jeans only but a nagging in the back of my mind about this prompted me to start this thread. Most of how we learn is through modeling/imitating others. It appears that the consensus here is to have some level of protection for the legs besides jeans. Thanks everyone for your input as I felt I needed to re-focus on this and get back to ATGATT.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

I've wondered about those bohn under pants as well. I can't picture why the material (not the pads) wouldn't just get torn to shreds in a slide but the testimonials certainly don't mention that being a problem. An interesting option for sure; thanks for reminding me about them.

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Actually Dan you really don't need loose jeans at all. They fit under jeans with no issue. Provided you're not one of those guys that insists on wearing the same size jeans that you wore in High School.;):D

I wear Lee regular cut & Levis relaxed fit & have no problems. You can't even tell I have armor on.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Actually Dan you really don't need loose jeans at all. They fit under jeans with no issue. Provided you're not one of those guys that insists on wearing the same size jeans that you wore in High School.;):D

I wear Lee regular cut & Levis relaxed fit & have no problems. You can't even tell I have armor on.
Awesome, I just may try some. How about heat with the extra layer under the jeans? I know Deb would prefer these to wearing the ill fitting mesh over pants.

Btw, was a 32 in high school and now a 36. Still have some 32's and call these my fat and skinny clothes. Never know when you might get skinny again and need something to wear. Yea right. One of these days I'll get rid of them and resign myself to the philosophy that the secret to happiness is lowering one's expectations.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I’ve been looking at these for a few years. I’m thinking this would be a good year to get them, my only concern is the heat.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lobster arms Larry? Don't forget the sunblock. Mine is made by Tourmaster.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts