Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been posting little tidbits about the '83 GL1100I I've been working on as time and enthusiasm permits. The bike has less than 9,000 miles on it and was having some tune-up type work done on it for the previous owner when a tornado destroyed the building it was in. Thankfully, and I don't know how, it survived with minimal damage from the storm that destroyed an entire small town. The bike then was moved to storage. Unfortunately, the building the bike was put in had only 3 walls and all 4 sparkplugs were left out. Engine was stuck, etc. etc.

After much work to various parts of the bike, while trying not to spend too much until the condition of the engine could be determined, I got the bike running today. Mind you, it didn't run well but at least it did run! I feel there's enough promise for the bike now to pull the carbs back off, buy kits for them, and try to get the bike running correctly once again. I had soaked the engine a long time with a mixture of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF to get the engine un-stuck, and a lot of it went through the engine and into the exhaust. The smoke cloud boiling out of my shop would have made a mosquito sprayer blush! The exhaust system is now off the bike, draining....as crazy as that may sound. The engine actually sounded quite solid but seemed to be having trouble hitting on all four cylinders with any regularity. More work ahead, for sure, but encouraging, never-the-less.

I know there seems to be a enthusiastic following of Randakk's carb kits, but does anyone here have any experience with lesser priced kits? I found a kit for the four carbs for $120.00, quite a bit less $$, and it includes some parts that the Randakk's kit doesn't (ie; idle mixture needle screws -one of mine has the post broken off), but the Randakk's kit includes some that aren't included in the less expensive kits (ie; air cut-off kits and accelerator pump parts). Feel free to contact me through a PM here if you don't want to post anything publicly.

Anyway...it was a good day. Gives me cause for hope that my wife and I can do some riding together on the Wind 'Wing soon.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Sounds like it needs a little TLC Hope you get it running soon and many years of great riding

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Good luck on your new venture. They do say these engines are bullet proof.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Since the first quick cleaning of the carbs, I have removed them once again and have been going through them much more thoroughly. I'll just say I have found some "interesting" things that were done by a previous wrench. After much debate, and in my typical fashion of being "tighter than bark on a tree" I decided to not drop the bucks on a complete carb rebuild kit, but did order fuel bowl gaskets, since one was pinched (I saw it the first time through but actually expected then that there would be a 2nd time). The bulk of the O-rings looked good and still felt quite flexible. I also found some plugged passages that I hadn't found on the first quickie cleaning. There were a few items that I did need and after talking to a fellow at a local independent vintage bike shop I scored; one idle mixture screw, one fuel bowl gasket (after I had ordered the new set of four) and a couple of the "thick" O-rings (actually rather "U" shaped cross section) for where the carbs bolt to the plenum, for $10. I can now re-assemble and re-install them and hope that I didn't make a bad decision by not buying a kit. I'll be a big boy and fess up if I find that my frugality got the best of me:) Results in a couple days......

Lynn

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wish you the very best and hope it works for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm getting my carb issues narrowed down. I reassembled the whole mess, re-installed the carb rack, and got the bike running. It did take a bit of messing around to overcome one badly overflowing float bowl (Left Front) that was actually flooding the entire plenum. By closing the fuel valve and running the bike on the gas in the bowls until it started backfiring (running out of gas) and then opening it briefly, repeating as necessary, I was able to run the bike for a couple minutes. I guess the carbs will come out again and I expect I'll find one more rogue fleck of gunk allowing fuel to pass the needle and seat. The good news is that there were no unusual mechanical noises from the engine.

On a side note, my neighbor came by just in time as I was going to re-install my exhaust system (before trying to start the engine). I was going to do a bit of cleaning on them and he went back home and came back with some "OOOO" (really fine) steel wool to polish off some slight surface rust and we then did a quick polish with some chrome polish before bolting them back in place. Having the extra person to re-hang the exhaust was certainly easier than it would have been by myself. Every time I clean something on the bike it makes something else look bad! Before you know it I'll have a shiny bike that'll require constant polishing when it's done:confused:

The saga continues.....

Lynn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Baby:D! It runs and actually runs pretty well considering I haven't even tried to sync the carbs or even adjust the idle mixture screws yet. I ran it long enough to get up to temp and with a little fiddling, it would actually idle well below 1000 RPM. Again the previous wrench tried to get me. At first I couldn't get it to run below 3000 RPM, even with the idle speed screw completely backed out. Turns out that both of the front carbs were W-A-Y out of sync and was causing the high "idle".

The last flooding problem, before the carbs were pulled this last time, was caused by some smudge that formed inside the little screens on the float seat. Gas in - evaporate liquid from gas - instant smudge. Almost as good as osmosis.

Maybe a ride by the weekend??????

Lynn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tuned a bit more on "Survivor". Borrowed a set of fittings to screw into the intake elbows from my "new best friend" at a local vintage motorcycle shop, got new hose for my carb vacuum guages, and evened out the carbs a bit better than they were. I wouldn't say they're spot-on but at least better. One thing that eludes me though is the engine's tendency to take a little while to settle back to an idle. It's not binding cables or linkage, but I don't know quite what might be causing it. I'm open to suggestions about what might actually be the cause. If the carbs need to come off one more time, so be it. I'd just like to know what I'm looking for, not just throw parts at it. I do have a 2-3 Oz. of Seafoam cleaner per Gallon of gas mix in the tank to continue cleaning any remainder of smudge I may have missed or not cleared out of the carbs. It is neat though that the engine fires up "right now" when the starter button's pushed, once it's warmed up a bit.

I'm still very pleased that there aren't any unusual mechanical noises. Temp guage started climbing toward the red when I had it running in the shop for quite a while. Found the fan lead was un-plugged but it activated just fine once plugged in. Used a dab of di-electric grease on it as well as other plugs I've fiddled with in the course of my work. What a concept....preventive maintenance:rolleyes:

The best part of the day is that I actually rode it a total of about 1000' from my shop to our house and back, with the seat held on with bungie cords. My wife was impressed that the non-running, partially disassembled, grungy bike we literally had to drag out of my enclosed trailer 8 months ago, due to stuck brakes, had become an object capable of moving on it's own!

Well, that's it for now. Progress, yes....but a lot more to do.

Lynn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I had the carbs off for the 4th time. I think I have them as good as they're going to get. Found a few more areas that needed attention but am pleased to say I did it without dropping $125-200 on carb kits. I sync'd the carbs by using one strand of wire from a piece of 16 Ga. automotive wire. All throttle plate positions were set to match the #3 carb with just the slightest drag when pulling on the wire, and no trace of the butterfly closing when the wire clears the plate. Another reference is the plate's position in reference to the low/mid speed transfer ports in the carb's bore. Anyway....it runs well and I rode the bike about 10 miles. I still have just the slightest "catch" in the throttle linkage that keeps it from returning to a good idle. Just the slightest touch of a finger to the #3 carb linkage returns it to a nice +/- 1000 RPM idle. I plan to do a bit more lubricating to the return spring area to get it to return better. All of the linkage and bushings are in good shape.

I do want to double-check my carb sync with the vacuum guages once I verify that they're all reading the same when hooked together to a common vacuum source. Honestly, even if the guages show the carbs are off from one another, I probably won't screw with it since the bike is running quite smoothly now.

Lynn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts