Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Gold Wing this past Friday. New 2010. I'm experiencing some wobble in the front end. The dealer tells me this is typical of this bike. Not my first rodeo but i don't understand paying this much for a cadillac and having this issue. Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes typical

answer=fork brace

why they dont come with one??? Can't answer that one.

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
congrat tank but where are the pic's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank

WOW, thanks for all the info folks. Don't know whether to s--t or go blind. Sounds like maybe going with the balls and stones and maybe a brace would be the least expensive way to go. Still hard to swallow from a brand new bike of this caliber. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The wobble happens when you decell from about 35 mph down and only if you take your hands off the bars, otherwise you shouldn't even notice it. Have your dealer check the head bearing for proper torque. Also the tires out of round will cause and not being properly balanced, also check the air pressure 38 ft. and 42 rear.
You will find most dealers don't know anything about the Gold Wing and will tell you anything so they don't have to work on them. I hope they didn't tell you that the bike required a 600 miles service or they need to do all the work on it or your warranty is void, because both of those statements are false.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Not all Wings wobble.. I've had 2 and never a wobble. I guess I'm in the minority. I did have a superbrace put on my 98 GL1500 SE but I didn't have a wobble to start with. Just thought it would tighten up the front end going over bumps. I don't have one on my 1800 and don't have a problem. I guess I should keep my fingers crossed..

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm know expert by any means, my 1500SE front end has wobbled on a few occasions. All were either attributed to worn tires (cupping), tire pressure, or road condition. I've thought about a Superbrace but honestly don't have complaints about the handling now, but I guess I won't know until I try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wobble happens when you decell from about 35 mph down and only if you take your hands off the bars, otherwise you shouldn't even notice it. Have your dealer check the head bearing for proper torque. Also the tires out of round will cause and not being properly balanced, also check the air pressure 38 ft. and 42 rear.
You will find most dealers don't know anything about the Gold Wing and will tell you anything so they don't have to work on them. I hope they didn't tell you that the bike required a 600 miles service or they need to do all the work on it or your warranty is void, because both of those statements are false.
Yeah, he did mention the 600 mile oil change but nothing about warranty work. Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
Tank
When I first rode the Green Wing I was able to make her wobble at will. Had to make sure it was a Honda. My VTX did the same. A fork brace will help as would taperd fork bearings. As for meitisn't a problem.Ijustkeep myhands onthe barat slow speeds.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the wobble unless it also occurs when your hands are on the bars. I can induce wobble in all of my bikes at certain speeds and I have 12 bikes. The only one that won't wobble anymore is my track bike which has an Ohlins steering dampner installed to reduce the chance of a 'tank slapper' at speed. All bikes have a naturally occuring frequency where the harmonics of the engine, rotating mass (wheels, chain, driveshaft, etc.), frame geometry/flex and such peak to cause a vibration 0- hence wobble. Am I missing something? Is wobble happening with both hands on the bars for some?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm know expert by any means, my 1500SE front end has wobbled on a few occasions. All were either attributed to worn tires (cupping), tire pressure, or road condition. I've thought about a Superbrace but honestly don't have complaints about the handling now, but I guess I won't know until I try.
+1
Threw away gooooooooood $$$$$$$ on the super dupper brace. :mad:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I also have a fork brace on my 1800 and still have a wobble if I take my hand's off the bars.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Guess I'm lucky so far.. I have a 2010 with 2500 miles on it and the only wobble I have is in the way I walk

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
tank, even Honda admits there is a bit of an inherant wobble in the front end; a combination of size, weight, steering head angle etc. Nothing that should cause you any concern with at least one hand on the bars, but most of us ride with two anyway. Some Wings have been said to be more pronounced than others though. Mine doesn't that I know of but I have never let go of the bars while slowing down to find out (don't really intend to either). As always, Joe is very right about his points, and most all motorcycles front end issues stem from tyres, bearings and balance. Just my $.02 there. Welcome to the forum and Wingdom.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts