Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out doing some work to my bike today (installing floorboards, levers, exit grilles and a cruise switch) Now I havent had the bike long so I'm still learning all the controls and stuff. (I even learned how to turn on the radio, lol) but here is the question. I purchaced my bike rebuilt and it had been in an accident that took out the fairing, one saddlebag and trunk. Now the bike has the antenna, and wiring for a CB bit the head isn't there and the hole has a cover. I have a switch in the key cover that is some sort of volume pot. switch (I've seen enough of these in my guitars to know what it is and it has six wires going to it. I think it may be a fader switch for the speakers. It has rear speakers(that work) and the harness looks as though it once went up the left handle bar. When I took the key cover off to adjust the handlebars I broke the wires off the switch. Radio still works. Now my insurance company has it listed as a 1999 SE. The last owner when he had it repaired and painted took off all the emblems except the GolgWing emblems on the side covers. (I like that part) so how can I really tell if it's an SE or Aspencade? The trunk was replaced so no rear spoiler. Not that it really matters because for what I paid for it (5000) (not a scratch on the frame) it doesnt matter. I would like to know if possible what it really is and where I can get a fader control. Any ideas, suggestions?

Here is a photo of the bike when I bought it. I put new rotor covers on since this photo (cant figure out which way I like it better). Just like to know if I have to ever chace down wiring gremblins that may pop up.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If it is an SE it will have the fader control built into the side of the CB control on the left handlebar. Also the passanger floor boards are adjustable, there is a lever under the right passanger pocket that releases them to raise them up and down. The SE had a vent in the windshield, and came with the CB. Also SE had 2 tone paint.
If you have a fader control by the key than that is after marklet and it'a an aspencade. Can you post a close up picture of the passanger floor boards and the right side of the dash just under the speaker, is there a knob there like the one on the left side that adjusts the headlight?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Also the SE had toe warmers like these

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If it is an SE it will have the fader control built into the side of the CB control on the left handlebar. Also the passanger floor boards are adjustable, there is a lever under the right passanger pocket that releases them to raise them up and down. The SE had a vent in the windshield, and came with the CB. Also SE had 2 tone paint.
If you have a fader control by the key than that is after marklet and it'a an aspencade. Can you post a close up picture of the passanger floor boards and the right side of the dash just under the speaker, is there a knob there like the one on the left side that adjusts the headlight?
It has the fader control but the fairing and trunk was replaced. The rear floorboards are not adjustable but there are a set of cables behind the boards (I had the right one off to install the driver boards). As far as the paint goes it has been sprayed Caddy Peral White. The previous owner told me it was original two tone burgandy/wine color. The fader switch is factory but has been installed in a differant spot. While it sounds Frankstienish someone did a really nice repair and paint on the bike. I'll post up some good photos when the sun comes out. The paint really pops in the sun.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The cables should be behind the passanger boards. Is there a lever under the right passanger pocket under the arm rest? Does it have the toe warmers like in the picture above?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cables should be behind the passanger boards. Is there a lever under the right passanger pocket under the arm rest? Does it have the toe warmers like in the picture above?
The cables are there but the adjustable footrest are not. The trunk has been replaced. I can't see anything but a red X where the photo. Are tou talking about the heat vents in the fairing?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Heavy,i have a '94SE that was rebuilt too,mine is white also,but original color.Mine had trunk replaced also,mine does have the adjustable pass. footrests,the cables are there,but under the seat they disappear under the trunk.No release handle as the others have mentioned,so i know the trunk was NOT from a SE.The footwarmers are a little flap in the lower cowl metal just behind the lower air intake.(the big plastic piece under the radiator) Do you happen to have a owners manual?I got an exact reprint from Helm.It shows the release lever for the rear footrests.Yours looks great,mine needs paint.Hope you enjoy riding yours as much as i do mine,even with it's little issues. Best of luck finding the pieces you need.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Heavy,i have a '94SE that was rebuilt too,mine is white also,but original color.Mine had trunk replaced also,mine does have the adjustable pass. footrests,the cables are there,but under the seat they disappear under the trunk.No release handle as the others have mentioned,so i know the trunk was NOT from a SE.The footwarmers are a little flap in the lower cowl metal just behind the lower air intake.(the big plastic piece under the radiator) Do you happen to have a owners manual?I got an exact reprint from Helm.It shows the release lever for the rear footrests.Yours looks great,mine needs paint.Hope you enjoy riding yours as much as i do mine,even with it's little issues. Best of luck finding the pieces you need.
I don't mind the little issues on this bike because despite the little things I have yet to figure out It rides, runs and looks great for the money involved. After having a 30,000 dollar motorcycle stolen and not recouping even 1/3 of what I had in it I get a bit gun shy of dropping a bunch of cash on a bike. Now that I'm retired money is tight and I love the sheer size of the 1500 wing. I'm a big guy, I need a big bike. The bike is old enough I can shop ebay for about anything I need at a reasonable price. If I drop it I wont freak out and if it's stolen I can cover the cost of another bike. The fact that it has a Salvage/Rebuilt title is a non issue for me because when I'm going down the road the title is back home in the safe. I've seen nice GL's totaled out over what appered to be nothing but a few body parts. The guy I bought mine from was the original owner and he dropped it at 20mph. It cracked the Fairing, busted the left saddlebag and broke the trunk off when he went into the ditch. It didn't ever scratch the valve covers and no fork or frame damage. He bought parts off ebay and paid 3000 dollars in painting the bike. When it was all done he didn't like the white as much as he thought so he went out an bought a wine colered GL1800 (was in the same garage when I picked this one up). He basicly wanted his money back for what he had in repair parts and paint. I never thought to ask if it was an SE or Aspencade. I just assumed it was an Aspencade because it didn't have the trunk spoiler of CB. My 84 aspencade has a CB but I've never used it. I've never even used the intercom (and have the headsets and matching hekmets for that bike) Here is a photo of my 84 aspencade after a long wet ride

This the cats seat. People freak out when they see the cat on the back going down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts