Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done or even thought about doing the Artic Circle run? I am pondering this for my next year's ride. I would appreciate some input or discussion about routes..issues etc. Anyone interested in this ride next year let me know.....

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Knowing how thoroughly you research and how efficiently you plan your personal challenges, by the time you start packing for the trip you'll probably know more on the subject than the Alaskan Board of Tourism.

But if you need a quick start, go to www.txmoonlighters.com and on the home page is a link to an article from Motorcyclist on this very trip. Maybe not your route, certainly not your chosen bike, but maybe some insight to help you get started. And possibly you can make contact with Thad and get some resources from him.

Your Four Corners in Ten Days had most of looking at the thread a couple times a day. I know this Artic Circle trip will be another one. Are you going to take this one slower? Maybe keep some notes for a book or Bruce Brown type movie?

Take care and ride safe, Randy

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Sorry IBALEE I look up to you for anything on a long ride, you my Iron Butt friend are the MAN, you have all ready gave me great things to do for our frist two days of the tripe to try to bang out a safe and great 1K and 1500 run.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If interested, i could find the links to a fellow that did the Key West to Prudhoe Bay Ride last month. He did it on a Victory Vision. Victory's web site has 3 or 4 articles on the prep and the ride. It's not your ride, but maybe some insight into the riding in the north country. There are a couple threads at another forum that he talks about some of the trip.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
You are a man of adventure Lee. I'm sitting pretty close to the halfway point of that particular venture and although I have not much in the knowledge dept for the run, I'd be more than happy to assist you in checking things out from my vantage point if it helps. Let me know if there is anything I can do for your quest.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Gentleman...I will be taking you up on more information in the future...I cleaned my bike today...three hours and I still have to clean here more ...it seems the bugs don't want to let go...I got a lot of it but I have more to do...

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
This time of year my bikes always look like they're wearing a coat there's so many bugs on them after a ride.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Here's a link to the last article on Rollins Iron Butt UCC ride. There are links to the other articles on the prep and such for this trip on that page. I don't believe it was mentioned in the articles, in a forum thread else where, he said one day on the gravel Haul Road he only averaged 38 mph. Short articles, but interesting.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/Experience/Pages/RollinUCC1.aspx
Nice article and a good promo for the Victory Vision ( The bike I first shopped for ). Looking over his bike I noticed his rear tire was a bit different. My suspicions were confirmed when I read that :
The bike was essentially stock except for a headlight guard, belt guard, skid plate and run-flat car tire on the rear. .......

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't remember if the article said it, but he put a snow tire on the bike for the unknown conditions of the great white north.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Has anyone here done or even thought about doing the Artic Circle run? I am pondering this for my next year's ride. I would appreciate some input or discussion about routes..issues etc. Anyone interested in this ride next year let me know.....
Depending on where you plan on crossing from the States into Canada, we are good for ,coffee,a meal or even a bed for the night, just 3 1/2 miles south of the border at Sumas, Wa.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentleman thank you for the offers, information and the kind words. I am still looking at this as a possible. The other is to do a repeat of the 10,000 in 10 days with out the four corners and to attempt to complete that in 9 days. I will also be doing severalsmall IB runs. (No more 1500 in under 24 hours)
I have not been on the site as much do to my torn rotator cuff. I go into surgery tomorrow. I am first one in and out...and I will be off the bike for eight weeks.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi
I was doing a search on the new Goldwing F6B (I like it!) and found this site and thread.
I did the Key West to Prudhoe Bay ride on the Victory Vision.
Posted details and pictures here -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827740

The gravel was not bad but the mud was a challenge!:eek:

Rollin I am ging to PM you I would like to talk about your ride. I have a friend who did it last year and he felt I could use the wing. I also want to talk about your tires? What was your average speed on the rought roads ? I am looking at 2000 from NM to Key West, 5400 Key West to Dead Horse and about 4100 or 11300... all togehter. I am wondering if anyone has a recent riding experience there can you maintain a 60 or 65 mph on the rougher roads...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.