Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Heading down to Arkansas late March to ride around for 5 days. Any you can’t miss this sights to see or motorcycle rides that are a must do?

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Talihena Drive from Mena, Arkansas to Talihena, Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
The Tali-Mena Parkway is a 60-mile two lane blacktop that, for the most part, runs along mountain ridges. Look to either side and your looking down. I don't think either direction gives a better ride than the other. About 17 miles west of Mena is Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Best cup of hot chocolate I've ever had. It was about 30F and I stayed for three cups.

Ark Hwy 7 from Hot Springs to Russellville is very popular. And take a strip all the way across the state within 50 miles of the Missouri border for roads that will send you home planning another trip to ride the ones you missed.

Near the center of the state, Petit Jean State Park is an excellent stop for a 15 to 20 minute break.

60 miles north of Harrison in Ozark, Mo is Lambert's. A good choice for lunch or dinner.

Arkansas is one of the few states to print a tourism guide specifically for motorcyles. You can order it on line.

Let us know when you set your dates. You may get some local riding buddies.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I agree with Dan on the Talimena Drive--not to be missed. Eureka Springs is another very interesting area, and Harrison is as well. Bentwing is right--Arkansas does cater to motorcyclist and they have good information on rides and sights to see. I'm riding in the Big Bend area in the later part of March, but if the dates don't over-lap would love to ride up there as well. Bring some warm clothes--often times it's well below freezing at night in the Ozarks that time of year.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
That will be a brave trip from Ontario in March. Arkansas has some great roads. I will be in Mena next Tuesday for a work meeting and coincidently will be scouting the location for a future motorcycle trip with my GWRRA group.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Not to worry about the cold riding...it's a national sport here in Canada:) We will wimp out and trailer down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if you happen to be in the Arkansas area and see a Blue Wing with a Canadian Flag make sure to wave me down and say HI! Should be there riding the area Sunday March 24 to March 30.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
The weather looks pretty fair for most of the time you will be down there. Hope the rain holds off for the end of your trip. Don't forget the camera!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Tali-Mena Parkway is a 60-mile two lane blacktop that, for the most part, runs along mountain ridges. Look to either side and your looking down. I don't think either direction gives a better ride than the other. About 17 miles west of Mena is Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Best cup of hot chocolate I've ever had. It was about 30F and I stayed for three cups.

Ark Hwy 7 from Hot Springs to Russellville is very popular. And take a strip all the way across the state within 50 miles of the Missouri border for roads that will send you home planning another trip to ride the ones you missed.

Near the center of the state, Petit Jean State Park is an excellent stop for a 15 to 20 minute break.

60 miles north of Harrison in Ozark, Mo is Lambert's. A good choice for lunch or dinner.

Arkansas is one of the few states to print a tourism guide specifically for motorcyles. You can order it on line.

Let us know when you set your dates. You may get some local riding buddies.
Hey guys I have been following your posts, especially on some of the great suggestions for riding in Arkansas. As I previously posted, I will be leaving Montreal a month from now (Apr 24, providing we don't get anymore #%@* snow), on our way out to the Grand Canyon and the Western U.S.

I have been particularily interested in spending a few days touring Arkansas on my way thru. Bent Wing, Willmax, I planned out a route based on your suggestions. Question?

Coming from the Kentucky / Tenn area, would it be better to run north of the border along the Missouri side or the Arkansa side from east to west. I was thinking of doing Eureka Springs, then down to Harrison, Russellville, Hot Springs, then Mena ,Tali-Mena Parkway west.
Just don't want to miss out on some of the best.

Data Rider, you have a good safe trip, and let us know how it was.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
DataRider and horgie, I'm not gonna be much help outside of Texas, Arkansas, or Oklahoma. I've only been riding a touring bike for three years. The farthest east I've been is Memphis. Farthest north is Tulsa. Next month Amarillo will become my farthest west.

I've driven alot in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, but not ridden. You'll find more riding roads both side of the state line than you can cover in your short time. I think the Arkansas side tends to be more biker friendly.

If you're a member of GWRRA, Springfield, Mo is a very active chapter. They host a lot of rides for out of state chapters. Contacting one of their officers, info in the Gold Book, would probably a prime resource.

My biggest concern for you is the weather. Late March through early May is the wet season. Watch the forecasts closely. PM me if you want my phone number or email address. And if you get close to DFW (horgie, are you still coming to Ft Worth?), maybe I'll be able to ride with you for a day.

pictures, pictures, pictures. Take care, R

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I've ridden US 63 & 60 in southern Missouri and it is a nice road. But I would suggest US 412/62 that goes across the top of Arkansas to Harrison. While I have not ridden on that road it sure looks good on the map. Here is one web site with some information on the area roads;
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/ar.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was also looking at that route 412/62 across the top of Arkansas, and was thinking that might be the way a great way after coming out of the south west corner of Kentucky. There also seems to be another possibility noted in the Harley planner, of coming across the northwest section of Tenn. Route 76,54, 22 onto 62 in Ark. Should be fun exploring.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Hey guys I have been following your posts, especially on some of the great suggestions for riding in Arkansas. As I previously posted, I will be leaving Montreal a month from now (Apr 24, providing we don't get anymore #%@* snow), on our way out to the Grand Canyon and the Western U.S.

I have been particularily interested in spending a few days touring Arkansas on my way thru. Bent Wing, Willmax, I planned out a route based on your suggestions. Question?

Coming from the Kentucky / Tenn area, would it be better to run north of the border along the Missouri side or the Arkansa side from east to west. I was thinking of doing Eureka Springs, then down to Harrison, Russellville, Hot Springs, then Mena ,Tali-Mena Parkway west.
Just don't want to miss out on some of the best.

Data Rider, you have a good safe trip, and let us know how it was.
My vote would be on the Arkansas side. All of the destinations you listed are good riding areas with lovely scenery. If you haven't already done so, contact the tourism department for the State of Arkansas and they will mail you motorcycle tour maps at no charge. Spring time thunderstorms can be pretty violent in this area in April, so be sure and stay on top of the weather.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry I missed your thread....if you ever get back down here I can prob help ya with some places to go and eat.
PM me the next time you are passing thru or making a trip here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts