Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Pa. our roads have been getting better over the past years but they still will do a tar and gravel top cover on some of our nice back roads and over time this will start to brake up and turn into a wash board. How are the roads in you home town and state.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Here in Pa. our roads have been getting better over the past years but they still will do a tar and gravel top cover on some of our nice back roads and over time this will start to brake up and turn into a wash board. How are the roads in you home town and state.
Well I can see old Fast Eddie was spending my tax dollars down in your neck of the woods.:D Come on up to Pennsyltucky & see if our roads have gotten better over the last few years.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Roads in the city are getting better but have a long way to go. Outside of city along Lake Ontario and Lake Erie are very nice rides. Hills of the southern portion of state are very nice for riding.

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
I never saw a pot hole in Texas. Texas Department of Transportation figured out how to move people.

We have nice roads here in Washington.... they go places.

Those roads in Texas... depends on what you define as places.

It doesn't matter what side of the country you are on.... you want to ride to the other side.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you are saying Fossil and I have not done Rt6 with the fracken going on I hear it is just a mess can we give that to Eddie two.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hit or Miss. I have bad roads to work everyday. No choice, unless I want to take dirt roads....no thanks. The wife and I went on some nice ones for our sight seeing/lunch run today. I try to take the smooth safe roads when riding with her :D A happy wife makes for a happy day!

·
Premium Member
17,134 Posts
Like Larry said, for the most part the roads here in Washington State are good and nice scenery a long the way

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Here in No. Virginia they are kept up pretty well. Of course when you live 25 miles west of Washington you lived with a lot of political clout. Funny, the roads in Washington, D.C. are terrible except those around the Capitol and tourist areas.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Most cases the roads here in Alberta are pretty good. Too doggone straight, but pretty good repair;)
Em, chop, you have a bug on your post, hope it's not contagious:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
The roads are decent in the Ormond Beach area, I did find a rather rough road going into Deland, it was enough to shake loose nuts, bolts and other fasteners on the Wing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
15 years ago when I came to NC the roads were outstanding. Probably one of the best in the country. But now, like many other things, this is no longer true.

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
i'm so use to the roads in michigan i can't tell if they are bad they are just normal to me

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
The roads here in Northeast Texas, and throughout the state for the most part are in very good repair. We don't have the freeze-thaw cycle to deal with here in Texas that does a number on the roads up north.

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
In Mississippi the roads are pretty good. Better on the coast where I lived for years. Here in the middle of the state they have a Yazoo clay soil that moves a lot. The roads change day to day and start to have rolls then break up. It can be pretty interesting on the county roads. State and Federal highways are normally in good shape.

Getting geared up for a group ride today so I'll see. A little cold this morning but it is supposed to get into the upper 50's.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Some road facts about Texas:

Texas, the second largest state, has the most amount of roads at 80 million.

However, In March 2011, Texas ranked as a bottom-ten "Worst" state (tied with Montana and North Dakota) in the American State Litter Scorecard.

Texas roads are generally pretty good especially when you drive over the state line into New Mexico and it's shake, rattle and roll.

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
Stay out of NE Pa unless you are ready to do front end work on your cage or Wing.. Our only hope is that the potholes will grow even bigger to consume the whole road and that way level out the surface... LOL

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
We got hit by the salt/sand trucks on some of the incline areas after our little dusting the other day. Was it necessary? Perhaps. Considering, however, that these contractors hope for any excuse to dump a load on the road ,the economics of these dumps at times exceeds the actual need.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm with you buzzard...here in Illinois we kinda get used to the unpredictable roads. Just seems normal. We're into winter now, so, come spring, we'll see what shape the hwys. are in. Chicago area has potholes you wouldn't believe!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
In Queensland, roads are generally reasonably (but not lavishly) maintained, but the type of road (multiple lanes etc etc) definitely has a direct relation to the number of votes in the area rather than the economic need & production. Half the state's population lives around Brisbane, some 750 km south of me & maybe up to 2500 km from some parts of the state & as a result the 6 lane highways, overpasses, tunnels, passing lanes etc have petered out long before the heavy transports get up our way.
I will admit though that the Capricorn Highway is now 2 sealed lanes most of its way from Rockhampton to Alpha, whereas only 25 years back, most of it was single lane bitumen & vehicles had to get one set of wheels in the dirt when passing. And it only took the world's largest concentration of coal production to get that. Now if we could only get the rural highways flood proofed.......
For comparison, the state has an area of about 700,000 sq miles (Texas 270,000 sq miles approx)
Just my winge in advance of the state election due in the next couple of months :)

·
Premium Member
11,020 Posts
Here in South Australia we have the best roads. You will not find a dirt road over here. Come on would I pull your leg. Here is my proof. We have all these roads to play on and hardly anyone to share it with. Eric

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts