Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In section 2-8 of the Service Manual and on parts diagrams I've seen at the Honda dealership and Partzilla.com, 4 ea. rubber washers are pictured to go along with the four setting bolts. (See part 9 below).

I had to replace the rear fender on my 2013 GL1800, and ordered the washers at the same time (2 of the ears on the rear front fender were broken off, requiring replacement bolts and washers). When I received the parts, I noticed the bolts on the undamaged side of the bike had no washers. I've checked every GL1800 of the same vintage I've seen parked at the dealership or on the street. NOONE has the washers. Parts diagrams on previous models have the same fender construction, but don't use rubber washers.

It seems to me that the purpose of a collar bolt is to prevent over tightening in the first place. So a washer shouldn't be needed. Also, the washer is so thick that it basically negates the collar. If a washer was truly required, I think the collar bolt (part 19 below) should be have a longer collar.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
my 2013 does not have them
the only purpose I believe they would make is dampen some vibration
but if they are too thick....... I am like you, I think it would cause an over tightening situation

·
Registered
806 Posts
For the airbag model only. If you look at fiche for the 8A, it has the part numbers. The others show the part but no number for the washers. Generic picture.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where, oh where, is someone supposed to find the correct "fiche" or parts diagram for one's 2013 GL1800 (Model GL18HPNMD)?

·
Registered
806 Posts
This doesn't show the actual model number but it does refer to the OEM options
GL1800 4AC GOLD WING AUDIO COMFORT

GL1800 5AC GOLD WING AUDIO COMFORT NAVI XM

GL1800 7AC GOLD WING AUDIO COMFORT NAVI XM ABS

GL1800 8AC GOLD WING AIRBAG

GL1800B [GL1800BAC]

GL1800B [GL1800B2AC]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have picked up rubber washers at the hardware store that worked very good. Then I got ahold of and old inner tube and now cut little washers ’as needed’. Even keep a small supply of ‘tube’ in the on-bike-tool-kit. Comes in handy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you look at the parts fiche, the screws for the fender on the airbag model are longer, 5x14, the non air bag models are 5x12. Putting washers on the 5x12 may put more stress on the fender tabs. These bolts are made to bottom out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for your question. My front fender has 2 of the 4 on my 2012, and I cannot figure out whether they go on the top bolts or the bottom bolts???? I have them on the bottom right now. Did I loose 2 when first taking off the fender to replace the OEM tire?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Only the bottom screws on the front half use washers.The bottom screws are longer. 6x19 versus 6x14. The washers are not needed on the rear half of the fender UNLESS it is the airbag model.
Putting the washers on the rear half may crack the fender since they will not bottom out and you will need to over tighten them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True enough - for the "setting bolts" that hold the front fender to the fender covers...

The setting bolts I'm referring to are used to hold the REAR front fender to the fender covers. In the Service Manual (page 2-8) these are shown to be 5 x 14 mm. When my fender exploded, I lost two of those bolts, so ordered replacements from the local Honda dealership. Since the parts breakdown showed rubber washers there, I ordered 4 ea. figuring their absence on my bike may have been the reason the fender exploded.

Evidently, the Honda dealership Parts Department uses the same parts diagram as Partzilla. The bolts that I received were 5 x 12 mm - exactly like the ones on the opposite side of the fender. These are too short to accommodate the rubber washers, which probably explains why my 2013 GL1800 didn't have the washers. On a hunch, I tried looking at the parts breakdown for a later model GL1800 (2015), and what do you know? The part specified THERE was the 5 x 14 mm bolt.

Bottom line? It would seem that, given the complaints about the fenders getting destroyed, Honda probably changed the design to use a longer setting bolt and cushion the connection point with the rubber washer. The change made it to the Service Manual, but NOT to the parts diagrams used at Honda or Partzilla. I ordered the longer setting bolts and will use the washers, ever hopeful I won't need to buy any more rear front fenders and fender covers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
True enough - for the "setting bolts" that hold the front fender to the fender covers...

The setting bolts I'm referring to are used to hold the REAR front fender to the fender covers. In the Service Manual (page 2-8) these are shown to be 5 x 14 mm. When my fender exploded, I lost two of those bolts, so ordered replacements from the local Honda dealership. Since the parts breakdown showed rubber washers there, I ordered 4 ea. figuring their absence on my bike may have been the reason the fender exploded.

Evidently, the Honda dealership Parts Department uses the same parts diagram as Partzilla. The bolts that I received were 5 x 12 mm - exactly like the ones on the opposite side of the fender. These are too short to accommodate the rubber washers, which probably explains why my 2013 GL1800 didn't have the washers. On a hunch, I tried looking at the parts breakdown for a later model GL1800 (2015), and what do you know? The part specified THERE was the 5 x 14 mm bolt.

Bottom line? It would seem that, given the complaints about the fenders getting destroyed, Honda probably changed the design to use a longer setting bolt and cushion the connection point with the rubber washer. The change made it to the Service Manual, but NOT to the parts diagrams used at Honda or Partzilla. I ordered the longer setting bolts and will use the washers, ever hopeful I won't need to buy any more rear front fenders and fender covers.
If you have Airbag then you are correct. The models without airbag use the shorter bolts without the washers. The picture is the same for all the models, but only the ABS model lists the part #9, the washers. The ABS bike also uses a different rear fender half.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have an airbag. But the rear front fender exploded. I'm trying to prevent future instances of this happening and it MAY make sense to use the longer setting bolts with rubber washers. What difference does an airbag make in solving this seeming design flaw with the plastic fender components. What's your thinking on the practicality of using the rubber washers? Will this mitigate the exploding fender issue?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
in my opinion the real problem is just simply:
All of the plastic parts on the front fender, especially mounting points, should be 2 or 3 times thicker
maybe beefier parts would last

or make it from sheet metal or aluminum

·
Registered
806 Posts
Honda must have a reason to only add these to airbag models. May have something to do with vibration of the fender.
They really should have added bracing to the rear section of the fender to stop the flexing. If you look at the design of the mounting it is plastic on plastic allowing the entire rear section to flex.. Only the front section of the fender and the very top of the rear section is plastic on metal and those mounts have been known to crack.. Metal bracing on the rear section and caliper covers would have solved that problem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
in my opinion the real problem is just simply:
All of the plastic parts on the front fender, especially mounting points, should be 2 or 3 times thicker
maybe beefier parts would last

or make it from sheet metal or aluminum
I agree. there should have been metal bracing of some sort on the rear half of the fender. I don't understand why an aftermarket company didn't design something. It's just too flexible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This should not be an "after market" solution. This should have been properly engineered by Honda. No?

If it breaks again, I'll repair it once more, then sell it and switch to BMW.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To put a fork in this discussion. I finally received the 5 x 14mm setting bolts and installed these with the rubber washers. They fit perfectly. Maybe it will make a difference in providing a little flex at the joint between the rear front fender and the fender side covers. I do know there's no way to over tighten these, so operator/mechanic error at least should be taken off the table.

And yes, I agree, these fender component should have been made of metal or sturdier plastic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for your question. My front fender has 2 of the 4 on my 2012, and I cannot figure out whether they go on the top bolts or the bottom bolts???? I have them on the bottom right now. Did I loose 2 when first taking off the fender to replace the OEM tire?
You're probably talking about the setting bolts connecting the front part of the front fender to the fender side covers. These are 6mm, yes? The ones with the washer go on the bottom as per Service Manual page 2-8

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts