Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious but on my last couple of outings while riding and coming into some corners i have nearly taking out my foot. I have leened the bike into the corner and all of a sudden my foot is draging onto the road, i have my foot resting on the footrest pointing down as normal. My wife tells me i'm leening the bike too much. Having come from a harley to a goldwing i have noticed the better handling and cornering from the bike compared to the harley and i think that maybe she's right. I feel more secure on it that i leen it more than i did with the harley.
Have any of you guys come across this while riding, i know its not my boots because they are the same ones i used before.

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
I've done the same thing, mostly on my left foot. That one seems to ride under the shifter at times and catches the pavement. What I've tried to do is put the balls of my foot on the pegs instead of the heel and that puts them up away from the road. You might also want to look into floorboard pegs that you can rest your whole foot on. They work, but will also decrease your angle for leaning into the corners. so they will scrap more..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same issue. What Ive done to correct it is move my feet back on the pegs so my balls of my feet are on the peg. Problem corrected. I hear of guys leaning into a corner dragging the pegs. I haven't done that yet although I have to say I've tried to do it just to see how far you would have to lean into the corner to do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had my Son-in-law ride the bike and he's scrapped the bike/pegs every time, but that's because he rides a Suzuki 600 GSX-R (sports jockey), I have always been aware not to lean the bike that much so to scrap the pegs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with a couple of you guys. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and there is no problem and I also tend to scrape the highway pegs...still no foot dragging problem.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good way to break a foot :-( I have foot boards on mine. Feet are flat and enjoy the heel-toe shifter. I actually use my heel for up and down shifting. It gives me more room to move my feet around. I have lost about 30 lbs in the past 4 months and feel that will help as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have size 12 riding boot and if the pegs are in the "crotch " of the boot and I get careless the toe can scrape the pavement. Riding as the other members have posted, with the balls of the foot on the pegs cures this problem. For interests sake, in the twisties I ride rith my foot sligtly off the peg, away from the bike, the first thing that scrapes when leaning over is the outside of the boot, next thing is the nut on the underside of the foot peg, if you keep going the peg starts to fold up and then you hit the sides of the belly pan. By this time you are pushing the bike way to hard, but it does show you how stable the Wing is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stratman Wing Down Under....might be the above but what size are your feet?
Size 10 1/2 half so there not big feet really.
Although coming from a harley which had floorboards i wasnt aware were my feet were although i did notice on occasions when my floor boards would scrape.
I suppose whilst riding i dont think were my feet are on the pegs so i guess i just have to take more notice while riding.
I have thought about floorboards but i feel that the riding position would make me feel a bit cramped, with the harley my legs sat more forward from my body which made it more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Having moved thru the sportbike....sport touring....and on to the Wing I have "pushed" the Wing alittle far at times. The wife reminds me rather quickly when I get to aggresive in the corners. Both pegs bare witness to contact rather badly. Amazing machine considering the 1000lb. curb weight.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
you guys hit it on the head. I have 9 1/2 shoes. The first time I made a left turn, at an intersection", my foot got caught. I had it under the shifter as I wasn't used to the bike and didn't know when I might shift. It could be a serious big deal so I made a mental note to keep my feet above the pegs in the turns and curves. I may look into the floorboards later but I touch the bottom once in a while so I can feel where that is and how it feels. My sabre is a great ride and they put a replaceable acorn nut under the peg so you could replace it. Hate floorboards as they reduce the angle but I don't like where the pegs are. I was used to forward controls. The highway floorboards makes Much more comfortable for now but that doesn't help in the city.

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
most times my arch is on the peg. curves the ball of my foot is on the peg. sometimes when droning on the freeway i'll turn my heal in towards the bike and rest part of the ball of my foot on the peg, kind of slew footed

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think i have resolved the problem . I will wear steel cap boots and if i see the sparks coming from them, theni will make a note to lift my feet up :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts