Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other bikes I have owned all had a wider front tire. The result was a smoother ride with less tracking on grooved pavement and less slippage on the tar snakes.

I'm not trying to start a darksider discussion but did see a video of a guy who went double dark side by running a CT on the rear and and rear MC tire on the front. I'm not willing to go to that extreme but thought if he could do that on a standard front wheel, is there a way to run a wider front MC tire on the front.

Just throwing stuff against the wall here but thought maybe some of you gents had some advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd be interested as well to see the difference...........I have now, since triked out my 2010 and I do used a special Avon trike tire on my front ,,,this tire has a flat middle instead of a round center made especially for a triked out bike..I like how that feels...........

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
I am not sure you will have the clearance for a wider tire on the Wing, however to comment on the double darkside statement. The "Rear" motorcycle tire that you refer to is most likely either the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 or the Michelin Pilot Activ, and although it is classified as a rear tire from a Sportbike. It is in fact the same size as the front tire on a Wing. Many folks run them now, and I run a Battlax on my trike. They are a great tire.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have to concur with fossil. I and many others run the battle ax rear tire on the front. I really don't keep track of mileage on a tire. I keep track of time on tires. 1 1/2 years later my battle ax still looks new and I ride every day. Year round hot and cold.

·
Super Moderator
15,131 Posts
using a wider front tire will slow down your steering response

·
Registered
168 Posts
using a wider front tire will slow down your steering response
Although I have never used a car tire up front (so I'm not any export with this matter) I have to think/believe that Detrbuzzard may be correct here...Cause I did try a car tire (before I triked her out) and I found that back curvy roads had to be taken a tad slower because the leaning was just not as sharp.... NOTE: "curvy" is the key magic word here............ So if you put a C/Tire on the front it could only mean it would be even sharp....
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Although I have never used a car tire up front (so I'm not any export with this matter) I have to think/believe that Detrbuzzard may be correct here...Cause I did try a car tire (before I triked her out) and I found that back curvy roads had to be taken a tad slower because the leaning was just not as sharp.... NOTE: "curvy" is the key magic word here............ So if you put a C/Tire on the front it could only mean it would be even sharp....
Ronnie
Never heard of a car tire being used on front don't believe there are any made that will fit. Double darkside is a tire designed as a rear sport bike tire on the front. As for the lean angle being reduced with a car tire on the rear GW  darkside onTail_of_the_Dragon_2017.jpg Darkside on Dragon.jpg that is only a perception in the mind of the rider, when stuff is dragging you've leaned as far as you probably should.

·
Super Moderator
15,131 Posts
Ronnie
[/QUOT
i doubt you could use a car tire on the front but even using a wider m/c tire will slow down steering response

1 - 8 of 8 Posts