Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said to my self I would never buy another piece of Kuryakyn crap again but when I saw this kit, I had to have it.
It is a kit with chrome side covers to look like a Harley V-Twin. Also comes with new plastic pieces to cover the fairing, bags and trunk all made to make your GL1800 look just like a HD Ultra Limited!

Pretty dang cool I think. It was kinda expensive but super easy to install. I guess I was getting bored with the way the GL1800 looked and needed to change it up a bit.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I ain't fallin for this.....No way its a GL1800:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
you shouldn't have installed the kuryakyn engine kit caues i hear it give you wing motor only 50 or so hp

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Now I know where they got the idea for the costume of the Alien.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Actually closer to around 65hp. But I have a set of cams on the way that will bump it up to 95 or so.
wow even your kit needs a kit :D

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
You know that now you will need an engine rebuild around 50,000 to 70,000 Miles. Better take it off so you can go 250,000+ without any motor problems.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
Are you happy now! Truth be told, I look forward to my Arizona trip starting on May 31st and tootling around on an Ultra-Glide. It's a sweet ride that makes me appreciate my Wing ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL...............yeah yeah I know. However, I doubt I will need a rebuild anywhere near 50k. I have seen plenty of these bikes that have well over 120k on them without a lick of problems.
I have also seen some get rebuilds @ 20k. All in how you take care of it in my opinion.

I have had it for a couple weeks now and just kinda kept it to my self. I didn't want to start one of those "I traded the wing for a harley" threads.
But I was feeling a little frisky today and said what the hey!

I did trade the wing in. Only got $15,500 for it but I figure I would have been lucky to get anything over $16.5k if I tried to sell it outright.
This was NOT a planned purchase. I bought a 2012 Dyna Super Glide for the wife as she is starting to ride now. While I was there, I fell in love with a 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. So I went back the next day and bought it.

I do know what I gave up and I will miss the wing. I already miss the power! But truth be told, I was getting bored with the wing. I did not use it for it's long range capabilities. Most of the miles on it were around local and to and from work.

I have always wanted this bike but never was in a position to plunk down a small fortune on one till the later part of my life. The wife came along and I bought bikes we could travel on and so came the wing.
Now she will be on her own bike and I can finally justify buying one. I will probably be on a wing again some day, but for now, I am going to enjoy this for as long as it stays fun.

I see all the time where someone trades off from a wing to a harley or from a harley to a wing and each time, they try to compare the differences.
Well honestly there is no comparison to either one. It is apples and oranges. Not even in the same category IMO.

The GL1800 is superior to any other bike made. I personally beat the hell out of that wing and it never asked for mercy. It was FAST, it was smooth, it was quiet and it was comfortable.

But it has it downsides! It is a PITA to work on. There are lots of shiny plastic chrome you can stick on it but problem is, everyone else has the same plastic chrome and they all look the same just different configurations and different brands of plastic chrome.
To me it just didn't have much of a personality. You really had to think out of the box to make a GL1800 stand out from the others.

The Harley has the same ups and downs. To start off, Harley is ancient technology. The motors are extremely inefficient. Pretty much nothing has changed in decades except for electronics and EFI.

On the up side? Even though in stock form, the 103" motor only makes about 65 hp at the rear wheel? For not much $$ you can push that over 110HP and 120 torque with exhaust, high flow intake, cams and head work. All can be had for about $2k and you still have a reliable motor that will run just as long as stock.
Hell, I spend $1500 just for a dang seat on the GL1800! Not to mention a few thousand $$ just to make it have some shiny plastic chrome...........lol

Another plus is the fact you can configure this bike in hundreds of ways to suit your self and stand out from the others. You can let your own personality show in you bike.
And the sound and feel of a Harley is unlike anything else. It's not for everyone but a tastefully done Harley is one of the most beautiful machines you will see riding down the road.

All this said, I like all bikes. One of my biggest pet peaves is listening to someone bash another brand for no other reason than they just don't like it.

Hell I wave at Mopeds when I pass them. It does not matter to me as long as you are out riding and enjoying it! That is what it is all about!

I'll still pop in from time to time and say hello. This is not a goodbye by any means.

And just so you know, I will not run loud pipes on this bike. To me that kills the sound of what a Harley should be.
As a matter of fact, I just installed a set of Rush Slip-on mufflers with 2.5" baffles. They are too dang loud and they are coming back off!
This bike has a sound system comparable to the GL1800 and would be a shame to drown it all out. There is a happy medium and I will find it.

Oh and did I mention HD comes with a CB as standard equipment?......lol
Shame though because I wear half helmets and will never get to use it unless it's winter time.:D

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
If you had bought her a Wing you would ride a Wing. If you bought her an ST, you would ride an ST. It's all about her. You didn't sell out to us. You bought into her. Now get you azz over to Phoenix around April 3rd.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not gonna happen Brother! Probably won't get a chance to take a long ride till the end of May.

If you had bought her a Wing you would ride a Wing. If you bought her an ST, you would ride an ST. It's all about her. You didn't sell out to us. You bought into her. Now get you azz over to Phoenix around April 3rd.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
I have one of each. They both have there good points. The wife likes the Harley better. Says the seat on the Harley suits her better. Trike Lady, if you can find my Harley leaking oil, you can have it. ( I know you wouldn't want it) They both do there job well. Just depends what you want.
I had one of those AMF years Electra-glides and it did leak oil, now my 1984 and 1988 ones did not. I did test ride the Tri-glide during Bike Week 2012 and I did like it.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Now you get to dress like a pirate! I never understood the chaps, vest and du-rag setup to dress as an individual and all look the same, only different.

My Harley was kick start only and when I sold it, I never really missed it.

As long as you got what you want, that is important.

The charm of that motorcycle will wear off and you will watch a group of Wings go by and you will start thinking.... maybe my wife and I should both have one of those..... and Bam... you are back on Wings. I seen this happen.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Buzzy: I wish you all the best. I will be here when you come back. Eric

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Good for you Buzzy, Enjoy, ride safe, remember us, & visit.

Riding is Riding and that's all that's important.:D

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Funny, I'm about to write a similar post on the Burgman USA forum since I sold my Maxiscooters. Some may see it as jumping ship however for me I needed a change and was bored with my ride. Sometimes we just need to change things up, keep it interesting and fun. I've got a neIghbor who has a 2011 Ultra Glide and it always sits in his garage. There's lots of Wings and other bikes that get sold with very low miles that never get ridden. Man, whatever we ride let's ride these babies and enjoy them while we can. Father time is creeping up the hill guys.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Now your Wing will want to drip oil.:eek:
I did some research and I saw that the kit comes with a "fake" puddle of oil. Just store it in your saddle bag and when you park just stick it under the bike. You can move it so your friends will scratch there heads and say "wonder where that is coming from?" :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.