Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last year I sold my Vulcan, and I've been toying with the idea of a Ural for a couple of years. I'm curious if anyone here has, or had one or knows someone with one and might be willing to offer up their experiences, good or bad. I've been reading a little on SovietSteeds.com and ADVRider.com and haven't been turned off yet.

I've never been on one, have never ridden a hack, have never owned a Russian or European motorcycle of any sort. I realize they are technologically ancient other than the recent addition of fuel injection and disk brakes. I'm not looking for a tour bike - I have the Wing for that. It would be short rides to and from work, and around the area. They just look like they'd be a fun ride (but slow). I like tinkering on the Wing, not that there's much tinkering to do anymore, so I don't think that aspect would bother me much.

So, anyone here happen to have one?

·
Premium Member
23,706 Posts
I passed a Urinal last week. Had a side car, olive drab green, etc. It was moving history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
We sold ours when we bought the 'Wing - we had a 2006 Ural Tourist that we loved! Rode it for about 5 years, but wanted something more comfortable and more power. If you're buying used look for a 2006 or newer. For fuel injection you'll be looking 2013 or newer. There were several attempts at getting the FI mapping to work well so make sure the latest program is installed.

Pre-FI bikes will run at 55-60 mph all day long and can do 65 or 70, but they're not happy up there. The FI bikes can do 70 mph easily. All years are happiest on secondary roads, dirt roads, sand, mud, snow, etc. Think of them as tractors and have fun!

As for driving: when you roll on the throttle they want to turn right, and when you roll off they want to turn left. Hit the brakes and you will think the bike is making a lane change to the left :surprise: Once you get used to that they are fun. There is no counter-steering with sidecars - it's all direct steering. If you enter a left turn too fast and hit the brakes the bike will want to lift the rear wheel (the pusher) and roll; if you enter a right turn too fast the sidecar wheel just might lift off the road - that's called "flying the chair" and can be exciting for your "monkey" - the passenger!

If we had the room to park it we would still have it, but the 'Wing takes up our entire garage so we gave up the Ural. Most people either love them or hate them - they are definitely a fun ride, and you need to be an extrovert to ride one because they draw a crowd whenever you stop!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My uncle was riding Ural for 38 years in Soviet Russia for work. He was a serviceman for commercial refrigeration company and the side car was the way of transporting his tools and parts. His place of work was supplying new Urals for him every 5 to 6 years. Surprisingly he is still alive and kicking at 85 and remembers Urals only from the positive point.

·
Super Moderator
15,144 Posts
i was on adv rider the other day reading about urals, i even went on the ural website to learn a little about them then got to wondering if an older bmw r 100 motor would bolt in and how would i hook up reverse

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
I knew a guy I used to work with who purchased a Ural about 5-6 years ago and on his maiden voyage from Minnesota (in February!:surprise:) to Orange County, California he blew the engine near Phoenix, AZ. They stood behind it, though it took a while to get the new engine and the work done. I just don't find them attractive at all, and I hardly associate precision manufacturing with Russia.

What Greg's Ural reminded me of was that Eugene Levy line near the beginning of "National Lampoon's Family Vacation" when Clark Griswald goes to pick up their new car for the big family vacation:

"You think you hate it now, but wait till you drive it!"

Reactions: Madrussian

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the feedback. From what I've read their warranty is very good, but unfortunately gets used a lot, LOL.

I think this summer I might see if I can arrange a test drive. I'd love to have a vintage bike to tool around in, but I don't want to put the time or money into rebuilding one myself. In my mind, this would be a little like owning a (new) vintage bike. Kinda like if someone started making brand spanking new 1935 Auburns. Sure it would be a piece of crap compared to a new car, but still cool. :D

·
Banned
6 Posts
So I hear you can get a Chinese copy (Chang Jiang) of a Ural now. So, let me see... that would make it a Chinese copy of a Russian copy of a German motorcycle. It' s certainly interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
i was on adv rider the other day reading about urals, i even went on the ural website to learn a little about them then got to wondering if an older bmw r 100 motor would bolt in and how would i hook up reverse
I don't know if the Ural transmission will bolt up to the BMW motor - the reverse gear is built into the transmission and I know the BMW does NOT have reverse.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A guy around here has a really clean one.

But my guess is that thing would not cross the desert...running.

...Gotta be a hobby...

I never understood the 'show-vehicle' syndrome: Spend tons of money on cool wheels to trailer back and forth to shows...sorry, I just don't get it.

Though, I always dreamed of doing like in the Elvis movie, when he gave the Cadillac to the gas station attendant right there on the spot.

I would like to re-built 60/s Mustangs. Then when I complete one. Drive to a gas station and the first kid that give me a compliment about, right there, give them the keys of the car and call a taxi.

Its a good vision, I just haven't arrived at that kind of money yet.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Kerry, there's a local guy that has one complete with the hack. Rode it all winter, says it will go just about anywhere. He says it's a tad on the crude side but it's pretty much bullet proof. Not sure what model year, but I thought it was an old R90-6 or similar Beemer:err:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been doing lots and lots of reading. Still thinking I might try and find one. I was originally thinking of going 2014 or newer to get fuel injection, but then I read that they've had issues with their FI which can require it go to a dealer. Now I'm thinking maybe carb's wouldn't be so bad. Going older also gets me into a much lower price bracket. Sounds like they're a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback. From what I've read their warranty is very good, but unfortunately gets used a lot, LOL.

I think this summer I might see if I can arrange a test drive. I'd love to have a vintage bike to tool around in, but I don't want to put the time or money into rebuilding one myself. In my mind, this would be a little like owning a (new) vintage bike. Kinda like if someone started making brand spanking new 1935 Auburns. Sure it would be a piece of crap compared to a new car, but still cool. :D
I've been thinking of getting a Ural for the same reasons you mentioned in your original post. I've gotthe 'wing on one end of the spectrum and a KLR650 on the other. A Ural and maybe an ST1300 would sure fill in some gaps in between.

Anyways.... There's on older one just listed today on Kijiji right in your back yard (Tofield, AB). If I had the cash I'd already be on my way to check this one out. Why don't you buy it and when you get tired of it in a couple years I'll take it off your hands?!?!:smile2:

Reactions: fossil92

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been thinking of getting a Ural for the same reasons you mentioned in your original post. I've gotthe 'wing on one end of the spectrum and a KLR650 on the other. A Ural and maybe an ST1300 would sure fill in some gaps in between.

Anyways.... There's on older one just listed today on Kijiji right in your back yard (Tofield, AB). If I had the cash I'd already be on my way to check this one out. Why don't you buy it and when you get tired of it in a couple years I'll take it off your hands?!?!:smile2:

LOL - I just emailed him before I saw your post :grin2:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's an online classified ad system popular in Canada. According to Wikipedia it's owned by ebay and in the U.S. is called 'ebay Classifieds'. Kind of like Craigslist, but I've never seen a good interface to CL. The Kijiji interface is easy to use.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks. There was a search engine for craigs, Searchtempest, but google changed something and now it doesn't work very well, which sucks, :ThumbsDown: as it would be nice to have a way to search multiple areas for a specific bike.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that local 2003 didn't pan out. A 2012 became available in Calgary (about 3 1/2 hrs south) and after speaking with the owner and seeing photo's and hearing the one owner history of the bike, I flew down yesterday and made the deal and rode it home:

Ural_home.jpg

Got off to a slow start - right after the plane started taxiing out a heavy fog rolled in and they couldn't take off. Sat in the plane on the tarmac for an hour waiting for it to clear. Previous owner turned out to be a really nice guy and excellent to deal with. He picked me up at the airport and even offered to give me my first hack lesson which was great. I rolled out of Calgary around 3:00. Decided to alter my plans of going secondary highways and just stayed on the freeway all the way to Edmonton. Rain started in about halfway and stayed solid the rest of the way home. I rolled up in front of our house about 8:00 (remember, Ural's absolute top end is 65mph and I didn't push it to the limit very many times). Being my first time with a sidecar rig made for a pretty interesting ride home. One thing for sure, a Ural is NOT a Goldwing!! Obvious, but can't stress it enough. This thing is a bit of a beast to steer, but I'm getting the hang of it. It IS a lot of fun to ride though. Haven't had the tub in the air yet, but I'll go find a parking lot and give it a whirl one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts
Congrats Kerry and bet Liana can't wait to ride in the sidecar

1 - 20 of 23 Posts