Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a GL1500. Front tire is K177. However, rear tire is Maxxis GT Touring tire, brand new. Its the right size and rating. Apparently Maxxis is a division of Cheng Shin. ANyone have this tire or tried it? It looks to be cheaper than the Dunlops and Bridgestones. I wonder if the PO put a cheap tire on it since he knew he was trading it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Havent ran one on a wing but have on a harley. They wear like iron, get good traction wet or dry conditons. But I wont run one anymore for this reason. I was following my friend who had one on the rear of a Harley. Tire had been on for two years still had lots of meat even though we ride all the time and lots of miles year round. On a right hand turn the belts suddenly just broke in the tire almost wrecked him. We rode on home and the tire looked from me following him like a inflated black rag on the wheel. He took it off hung it in the garage and neither of us ever ran one again.
I suppose this could happen to any tire but id never seen a tire go so limp and still have the right pressure in it. Chin Shengs I run all the time and never had a problem with them. Irc makes a good cheap tire that my other friend runs on his wing all the time and after five burnouts at our rally and about five grand of miles it still has usable meat on it. Just my own observations over time. be safe ghost

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I came to the same conclusion. The Maxxis is a cheap tire and I didn't trust it. So I replaced the worn Dunnie on the front and the new Maxxis on the rear with Michelin Pilot GT's. the Michelins have been wonderful tires and I have already put about 6000 miles on them. Love them, wet or dry.
Thanks, SailorKane.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well a little update, the elite 3 on the back of the wing i bought recently has at least 5 thousand ive put on since getting the wing. Love the tire it isnt showing any wear no cupping etc. Im having to replace the front that was on it since we are heading out to texas thursday. the front was an elite 2 dunlop. It is older than the rear and still has some tread but worn on the left side and showing some little cracks running with the tread that I dont like the looks of. So for now its a dunlop d 404 on the front.
My friend with the wing still swears by the irc and he puts a lot of miles on in all kinds of weather. Its a lot cheaper and if he gets good milage out of it then I may go that route if money is tight when I need to replace both. If not then ill go with elite 3 front and rear.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i will not put a maxxis, chin sheng, or bridgstone on any vheicle i ride or drive. i won't buy firestone tires either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts