Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done from the bay up to Legget. And really wanted to keep going up the coast, so that is one trip I'm gonna do this season. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, places ya need to see or eat's ya gotta try. Or good motels we may take the trailer so maybe some good camping. Looks like we will hit Hwy 1 at Willits,Ca. then head north up to Florence, Or. Then across Hwy 126 to visit family in Sringfeild, Or. Not sure on the return to the Sac valley

·
Super Moderator
28,042 Posts
Wife & I ran along the coast in 2010 got on from 128 & ran up to Crescent City. Had a great time. I will say don't be in a hurry. It's slow going but beautiful scenery.

Enjoy & ride safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's a great ride that we have done several times from bend OR. There are several campgrounds in the redwoods and nice state parks along the OR. coast heading up to florence. Google Or. state parks- one of my favorites is Cape Blanco. Also there are many
hotel options on the coast but kind of sparse in the redwoods. We usually hotel in Brookings OR. and day trip down to the redwoods. Temps can be on the cool side and foggy this time of year into early June

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Sorry to chime in on this a couple days late, but the coast run is something I think should be on everyone's bucket list. But take fossil's advice, it takes time. We did it from Astoria to the Redwoods in September of '91, and then trecked from Crescent City inland to Redding and up to Crater Lake from there. Took us just under 3 weeks for the whole trip, and it was fabulous. We did hit some cooler weather on the Oregon coast, but nothing wicked. Was in the 80's and 90's most of the time. Em, until we got back to Alberta, hit sleet and snow at the Banff boundary coming home, go figure. Felt like a pair of popsicles by the time we hit Edmonton. Missus was happy to pick up her car at her sis's place for the last 100 miles. I rode the 1200 in the cold and dark, she had the heater and heated seats and a roof over her head. :confused:

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Like Budoka said, "this ride should be on everyones bucket list", I am fortunate enough to live in Southern Oregon so the Redwoods are just an hour and a half away. The ride up the Pacific Coast Hwy (101) is awesome to say the least and the ride through the Redwoods will leave you speechless, it's a ride I never get tired of. One of our favorite routes is south to California hwy 96 to Williow Creek, then west on California hwy 299 to Arcata, north on hwy 101 to Crescent City, then up 199 through the Smith River Canyon, (which is awesome in itself) then home to Medford.
We have traveld the Pacific Coast Hwy may times, to really enjoy the ride plan on a couple of days riding and there are allot of camping spots along the way. The ride from Brookings to Astoria will take the whole day if you just ride, but you'll miss allot of what the Oregon coast has to offer. We always stop at the small Mom & Pop diners, best bang for your bucks and you get well fed.
Have fun, and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, I can't wait for the weather to break I am thinking 4th of july in Fort Bragg then up the coast, should be a great ride through the redwoods that time of year

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Been years ago, but a well remembered ride. In fact I'd recommend riding the whole coast route with a side trip over to Crater Lake in Oregon. Unbelievably beautiful.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Been years ago, but a well remembered ride. In fact I'd recommend riding the whole coast route with a side trip over to Crater Lake in Oregon. Unbelievably beautiful.
I'd second that trip to Crater Lake, it's a ride you'll not soon forget. This is one thing I like about living in Oregon, there are so many scenic rides, another ride is the ride from Reedsport to Sutherlin on hwy 138, then to Roseburg and east on hwy138 up the N. Umpqua River to Diamond Lake then into Medford.
The ride on US hwy 26 to eastern Oregon is a very scenic ride also, some of these rides, one has to plan on a weekend to take it all in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't forget to visit one of the locations of Margie's Diner, and come hungry!
I hit up the Margie's in Paso Robles, right across from the fairgrounds. Well worth the visit if riding through. :):):):):)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got back, great trip, took hwy299 outta redding hot as hell & road work not as nice a ride as i remembered, stayed in eureka ate at the banana hut hawian BBQ (great food), rode the avenue of the the giants, wonderful ride, took hwy36 back over to red bluff, hwy 36 is a awesome twisties road way better than hwy299.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry but I just got here

Don't know how active this tread is but like I said I just got here. Ironically my friend, his wife and I were planning to ride down the the Redwoods (leaving Blaine, Wa on the 9th of Aug.) I was not all that enthuised because we all have to be back to work on the 18th. I love my friend dearly but he does not know what cruising means. He knows where he wants to go ...puts his head down and goes from point A to point B. When I do take that trip I want to take it slow and enjoy the sites.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Don't know how active this tread is but like I said I just got here. Ironically my friend, his wife and I were planning to ride down the the Redwoods (leaving Blaine, Wa on the 9th of Aug.) I was not all that enthuised because we all have to be back to work on the 18th. I love my friend dearly but he does not know what cruising means. He knows where he wants to go ...puts his head down and goes from point A to point B. When I do take that trip I want to take it slow and enjoy the sites.
I know what you mean, I've rode with a couple of guys that ride like that. I'm like you, I want to enjoy the sites along the way. My wife and I ride the Redwoods about twice a year along with the PCH. We normally ride down to CA hwy 96 and pick up CA hwy 299 at Willow Creek and stay in the Eureka area for he evening. Then it's north on US 101 to Washington and then we take the Central Oregon route back to Medford, it's a great way to spend a few days.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I do a bit of both. Sometimes you just gotta make miles (like getting from our place to the mountains and some decent bike roads). But my wife has a limit as to how long she can ride so we call a halt at 8 hours max saddle time . If we do lots of stopping and shooting pics/sight seeing I still try and set the 8 hour limit. Takes a bit more plannng is all.

·
Premium Member
10,838 Posts
Thanks... confirms part of our itinerary for next year and gives me further info for our plans... any further info for our return ride from Sumas Washington, down 101 and then return ride through central Oregon to the "Journey Through Time Scenic Byway" in Oregon to exit once again via Sumas - would be welcomed :) V

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Eric, the Oregon members can provide up-to-date info. I think it was 1993, Pam and I went to Mt St Helens. It was 13 years after the eruption, but the devastation caused was still obvious. Many of the creeks and rivers on the blast side were still a dark grey color from the ash that continued to be washed of the mountain sides 13 years later.

It is one of the two things I have seen that literally made me stop breathing the first time I saw it. St Helens and The Grand Canyon. Well there was that 20-something blonde manager of the cafeteria in bldg4 but that's a different thread on a different forum.

Terryj. another standout memory on that trip was the café across the highway from the Trees of Mystery. The Tree Top Café. Is that still there and decorated like it was 20 years ago?

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Bentwing, Yes the cafe is still there, not much has changed with it. There is a lot of things to see in the PNW that doesn't exist anywhere else, like Hells Canyon, it the deepest canyon in the Northern Hemisphere and it is the border between Oregon and Idaho. There is the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, these are the larges coastal sand dunes in the United States they sit right along hwy 101 from Coos Bay to Florence. There is Crater Lake, the deepest lake in the United States and it's all from snow melt and rain, there is no inlet or outlet. There is Abert Rim over by Lakeview along hwy 395, it is the largest exposed fault in the world. These are just a couple of things I can think of right off hand, however, riding to see these things can take a few days.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Vanessa, if you're planning on going through Oregon, I'd say don't miss Crater Lake, it's stunning.
Terry, we rode 36 as well, but we branched off throughHayfork abnd went into Redding from the west and headed up I-5 from there. Long day that one. That backroad is slow going but nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts