Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
my 1200 makes way more noise than my 1500 and no i don't want more noise it's annoying on long rides

·
Premium Member
24,515 Posts
I don't want a loud bike but I'd like to be able to hear the engine some. Anybody had good luck, or bad luck, with any aftermarket exhausts?
I almost got stuck with that one too. Some buddies on another forum made me realize I was listening to my riding pals (mostly HD's) and looking more to their tastes rather than my own. Riding Japanese is never going to win in that circle anyway, no matter what it actually is; some tolerate but most will (not openly usually) ridicule somehow. I can see the allure in making a 'strong silent type' GL shriek like a Porsche 959 with the tap wide open (I had a custom cruiser with :eek: shotguns) under certain conditions. The Torquemaster Exotics with a set of Torque Tuubs would do it but it's not really what a Goldwing is about. But let's see, there are removeable quiet baffles (+2db over stock) for when the Mrs. is aboard....hmmm:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,515 Posts
If you still have the stock system the I'd say go back to it. If not, then contact Torquemaster and get a set of the baffles to tone it down a might. I've spoken with them and they're super folks. Still torn with my decision; kinda like the idea of shakin' up my Harley friends a bit. They can't catch me unless I let 'em, but it would be fun to pinch their ears for a change.

·
Premium Member
24,515 Posts
So what DID it sound like? Fuller, deeper, how much louder etc? Part of the allure of the Wing is it's quiet but powerful engine. I've heard Valkrie 1500's with six-pack pipes that wail like a Porsche at full song, and it is pretty cool, but they are loud; not what I would consider tasteful on a big tourer.

Reactions: Snakebite

·
Banned
2 Posts
J. C. Whitney Mufflers

Hi Gang,

Anyone using replacement mufflers from J.C. Whitney? Are these any good? I'm "restoring" a 79 GL1000 for resale and need mufflers. The budget is pretty tight.

thanks!

Rich

·
Premium Member
24,150 Posts
Az: I have an old friend who lives in Deming NM. I was considering an overnight ride there. I love a bike and miles of desest scenery. I may, however, settle for a ride through Globe and Rooselvelt Lake. A three day journey or three one day journeys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes. I was thinking of staying on 70 from Globe through Duncan to I 10. Silver City looks like a nice side step if I have the time or interest.
You better pack your bags with a lot of that snow for the 110 Heat.
I remember one time biking in GA it was so hot we had to wait until evening to travel down the hyways..I never thought it would get that hot that I could not ride a bike.
Hope you have a great get a-way..

WA9FWT Phil

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
after market exhaust

i bought my first wing ,an 05 with 6k miles last yr.was too quiet,my roadstar has rinehart street headers & and my S&S chopper has upswept open pipes.i put on a set of cobra slip ons and it sounded ok,but wanted better ,so i installed a set of torque loops (elliminates the catillac converters and makes true dual exhaust)sounds awesome! like a mazaratti ,don't find it annoying at all,but i'm oldschool and think any bike or hot rod should have a nice sound to it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
i bought my first wing ,an 05 with 6k miles last yr.was too quiet,my roadstar has rinehart street headers & and my S&S chopper has upswept open pipes.i put on a set of cobra slip ons and it sounded ok,but wanted better ,so i installed a set of torque loops (elliminates the catillac converters and makes true dual exhaust)sounds awesome! like a mazaratti ,don't find it annoying at all,but i'm oldschool and think any bike or hot rod should have a nice sound to it!
I agree with the nice sounding bike engines, but not on mine any more.From a distance no better sound herd then a cool exhaust system. But when I ride now, the silence is golden so too speak.Age
70 and whats yours ?
WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
391 Posts
On the Kawi 1200 sportbike I have a set of Madaz (mad ass) pipes on it and they talk. On the Wing however, I tend to love the lack of noise except the 70's rock playing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the only way to make the wing sound better is to make it stelthy---- I want to have to look at the tack to see if the engine is still running ---the loudest thing on the wing should be the radio/ passanger

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
where's the pain,it would be the same amount of work! if you just want alittle more power & sound just change to cobra mufflers,if it is still to quiet then cut out the catallitac converters/crossover and install the torque loopz,either way you have to take off the mufflers.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.