Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to the chart going around there seems to be a lot of us old guys riding Goldwing’s, I guess the older you get the smarter you get! I will be turning 67 in a few months; that’s hard for me to believe because I still feel I’m in my 50s?

I bought my first bike when I got out of the Marine Corps in 1968. It was a model CL450K1 candy red Honda Scrambler with the side exhaust on the left side. That was back in the days when they were advertising “You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda” trying to distance themselves from the Harley Hell’s Angles crowd, some of you old timers may remember that?

The first commercial below is a minute and 36 seconds and not one word is spoken until the last few seconds. The second one below was a popular song. I think if we took a poll of how many people on this forum remember those commercials it might not be very big, despite the high number of older guys! I have had several bikes since then, but the ones I liked the most were the Honda VTX 1800c, the Honda ST1300 Police type bike, and now the Honda 1800 Goldwing! Both the VTX and The ST1300 were Candy Apple Red, my favorite color. Never had, nor will I ever want a Harley!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I, sadly, don't remember the commercial, but I do remember the announcer's voice.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
I, sadly, don't remember the commercial, but I do remember the announcer's voice.
same here although i do remember the song from listining to the oldies station. i remember most of a commercial from the late '60's / early '70's saying get yourself a honda

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I remember the slogan, but we had no Honda shop in town so all we had was radio and (limited) tv ads. Mass communication in '62 wasn't what it is now;)

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not sure if it is a good thing, or bad thing, but I remember them. I guess that means I am getting old. I have never owned anything but Honda motorcycles.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Not sure if it is a good thing, or bad thing, but I remember them. I guess that means I am getting old. I have never owned anything but Honda motorcycles.
Lee told me you were very smart man and mother honda has always treated me very well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't believe everything Lee tells you about me :)
I have always liked Hondas. They are very very reliable !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't remember the commercials but the first MC I ever rode on was a 305 Superhawk behind my buddy. Back then no one thought anything of two guys on a MC. Second was behind a buddy on his 650BSA while I was in the AF. First one I owned was a new 1970 Honda 175 when I got out of the AF. After 750 & 1000 Suzukis, 99 Sprorster 1200, a 900 Kawasaki, then, currently, my two greatest bikes made, a 97 Valk and a 12 Wing. Sorta full circle, huh.

·
Registered
835 Posts
First Motorcycle -

I also remember that “You meet the nicest people on a Honda” commercial. What was that Beach Boy's song about a Honda ? Although some of those early Honda's didn’t have much displacement - they ran great for their size. How many remember their first motorcycle ?

I had a neighbor pick up one of those old 1969 Honda 305 Dream motorcycles at a farmers garage sale not too long ago. Back in the day he said it was his first real bike. Although it was a complete parts bike, overall it was rough and rusty from stem to stern. I like to have never got the carbs, timing and the points set but after a week of tinkering we finally had her running well enough to make a couple of runs down a local blacktop road. Except for a slight knock, (even after filling it up with straight 30 weight oil) we had good forward motion and some brakes to boot. For a battery we wired two 9 Volt dry cell lantern batteries in series and used the kick start to get her going. The wiring for the lights and signals were a lost cause.

On my second turn to ride I took it up to about 50 mph and those rotten mufflers sounded like a 283 Chevy with open headers. After a couple more rides it was getting dark so we shut her down for the night. The next morning he wanted me to come over to look at the bike and my first thought was the motor had probably locked up. Once over there, I realized how lucky we had been because both tires were now nothing but cord. Somehow the inner tubes were still holding air but the outer layer of rubber had been tearing loose as we rode the day before. You know, I had noticed being hit by some very large bugs while riding that thing.

Ride Safe Michael :)

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Don't remember those commercials , but as a 12 year old in 1968 the 50cc Honda mini-bike was always on my Christmas wish list.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Don't remember those commercials , but as a 12 year old in 1968 the 50cc Honda mini-bike was always on my Christmas wish list.
as a 9year old in '69 a minitrai z50a was purchased by my dad for me just before my 10th birthday, thatks dad

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
as a 9year old in '69 a minitrai z50a was purchased by my dad for me just before my 10th birthday, thatks dad
I think I was 15 and my dad bought me ( ???????? ) a 50 cc Suzuki street type bike. I think he bought it for himself. It was too big and underpowered for the trails. It was licensed and I took full advantage of it. Instead of cutting through the woods to my friends house I took ( and pretty much had to ) the roadway.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
In 1969 I bought my second bike, a 1965 Honda 305 Scrambler. It was purchased from a gentleman who did custom bike creations as my 305 had a candy apple metal flake paint job, all covers were chromed and had a custom tuck and roll seat. This pic is not my bike but representative of what the 305 Scrambler looked like in the day. I owned this bike in Huntington Beach, California and loved to cruise the coast highway as well as scramble in the Laguna Hills.

Attachments

·
Banned
91 Posts
Started my riding on a 1966 Honda 305 Dream. Great bike and 7 hondas later I am on my 1800 Wing. Wow things have sure come a long way but I agree, those were the good old days for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea, I remember the commericals.. Also remember a TV show, I think it was Dr. Kildare where he rode around making house calls on a little honda.

My first was a brand new Honda 90-S that I paid all of $205.00 out of the base exchange while stationed in the Philippines. When my tour was up, I sold it to another on the base in my unit. I only came back to the states for a school. I returned to the same place less than a year later. The guy I sold it to was up for orders and I bought it back. A short while later I added a 67 305 dream to ride. I used the 90 playing on the sandy beaches and the 305 to tour around Luzon Is. Had other hondas in the philippines, but that's another set of orders and another time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
A short while later I added a 67 305 dream to ride. I used the 90 playing on the sandy beaches and the 305 to tour around Luzon Is. Had other hondas in the philippines, but that's another set of orders and another time.
Interestingly, there are quite a few older bikes in the Philippines still running strong. And shops that will do stuff that nobody over here does anymore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interestingly, there are quite a few older bikes in the Philippines still running strong. And shops that will do stuff that nobody over here does anymore.
I'm sure there are..I was there again in early 70's and bought a brand new honda CB750k2 out the door for $1200. Rode it all over Luzon also..When I transferred out I sold it instead of shipping it back because I wanted the Goldwing which was just coming out. I bought that when I returned in July of 75....Dealers did not even have them in stock yet...but there was one dealer in SDiego that was together with a radio station (KCBQ) and had a contest to give away a goldwing. It was beautiful custom painted. Well the contest was rigged naturally, some bigshot car dealer from Arizona drove up in a limo and had the winning ticket. After they did their thing on the radio, I walked over to him and the dealership boss who were talking. I told them I didn't care what kind of games they were playing with the contest, that I wanted the bike. (4 month wait otherwise). We agreed on a price and I bought it and drove it off that day. Probably the first one to touch pavement in Calif or the USA for that matter.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I had a 60 something step thru Honda 50 think they called it a cub I rode it around the base at little creek VA. got razzed on it but I did not wait on no stinking shuttle bus !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, as soon as I turned 16 I had a Honda S-65, soon replaced by a S-90.
I used to ride the S-90 70-80 miles at a time. It would make highway speed if you got down on the tank, and if you tucked in behind a semi you could go for miles on hardly any gas.

Since then I have learned about tire chunks flying off semis ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.