Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '05 Wing that does not have ABS. The general consensus (from recent reading) seems to be that ABS is a necessary safety feature on the Wing. I am a big fan of ABS and have had it on many of my previous bikes - but to date it has provided more "peace of mind" than actual protection. Nonetheless, I find that I am paranoid about not having the extra safety net. A half ton of steel on wet/slippery roads can push out real quick in a panic situation. I'm just wondering if I am being overly paranoid or if someone has really had an "incident" that seems to be the result of their brakes locking up. FWIW, I've been riding for about 20 years - so I'm not new to 2 wheeled transport.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
You not paranoid. Your just envisioning scenarios. When the thought of the possible becomes fear of the probable, stop riding.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You not paranoid. Your just envisioning scenarios. When the thought of the possible becomes fear of the probable, stop riding.
I guess the thread is designed to prevent the thought of the possible from becoming the fear of the probable by sifting through the anecdotal insight and supplanting it with actual experience.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
10-4 Adventure. Never had the big one. Skilled, lucky, or blessed , I won't know until one or all of the three give out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Like the song says....Don't worry, be happy.
You can worry yourself to death over should I, could I, things or just trust in your skill or seek more skill through additional rider education.
Enjoy yourself, you have the safest ride on the market even without abs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I highly recommend if you have the time and money to take the MSF Experienced Rider Course yearly. In the course you will practice doing a quick stop. This will only sharpen your skills at stopping quickly and learning how to do it without locking your tires that will cause a skid. Just my two cents……because I’m MSF Rider Coach.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have never had a bike with abs brakes, don't like the linked brakes on my wings. i would not pass up a good deal on a wing just because it didn't have abs

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks everyone ... good suggestions. I probably do 7-8 track days a year so I have lots of experience getting on the binders without losing traction. However, I will add the MSF experienced riders course to my list. I've never taken it. I'm sure it would be great information and provide the opportunity to practice "road challenges" in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ABS is Great.. wish I had it

My last bike had ABS. FJR1300. Saved my ass once or twice, maybe. You can't even get one now without it. I think Honda should not force you to buy the Satellite radio and navigation system and charge you $4000 more in order to get it. The flagship touring bike should have it automatically. I almst didn't get a wing because of that. Since I have so many years (and miles) of experience, and have been lucky enough never to loose any skin on many non-abs bikes in the past, I went ahead and got a 2010 without ABS. There are several other things that irritate me about it... like no 12Vdc accessory plug, no electrical adjustable windshield, and no gear indicator. (I know it tells you when you are in 5th, but it is the principal.) The jury is still out on if this wing is worth the $6-$11K more than the FJR. The compfort is worth a lot, but that much?:eek:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My last bike had ABS. FJR1300. Saved my ass once or twice, maybe. You can't even get one now without it. I think Honda should not force you to buy the Satellite radio and navigation system and charge you $4000 more in order to get it. The flagship touring bike should have it automatically. I almst didn't get a wing because of that. Since I have so many years (and miles) of experience, and have been lucky enough never to loose any skin on many non-abs bikes in the past, I went ahead and got a 2010 without ABS. There are several other things that irritate me about it... like no 12Vdc accessory plug, no electrical adjustable windshield, and no gear indicator. (I know it tells you when you are in 5th, but it is the principal.) The jury is still out on if this wing is worth the $6-$11K more than the FJR. The compfort is worth a lot, but that much?:eek:
Great observations. Prior to considering the Wing I assumed that ABS was standard equipment. I was also surprised by the lack of gear indicator on a $20k + bike; what is that about? I would suspect that both issues are slated to be fixed on the next generation bike. All said though, the Wing can not be beat for mile munching the super slab.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I personally will never own another bike without ABS. I found out the hard way many years ago what CAN happen in an extreme panic braking situation!
It's like anything else in life, you can prepare your self mentally for anything and in a controlled environment, you can do what you have been trained to do.

But you find your self in a situation where your reflexes and sub conscious reacts before your brain has time to evaluate the impending doom and you are not in control.

I know this does not apply to everyone. There are some extremely skilled riders out there that are able to process information and react in a calculated manner with the speed of reflex.
But I also know that there is a very much larger % of riders out there who like to think they have it down and feel like they have the skills to tackle any obstacle you through at them.
That's all fine and good but I know that unless you are ever in a true panic situation where there is absolutely no margin for error, there is a very high probability that you will find the outcome is not what you prepared your self for.

I fall in to the % that thought I had above average skills and could handle a panic situation. I was wrong and I paid for it with a few pounds of skin and a month off work.

It was all over in a fraction of a second and I went down as soon as I grabbed a hand and foot full of brakes. I didn't do it, my reflexes did it. It just all happens so fast!

So it is for this reason that I feel much more confident that I can protect my WIFE and my self in a similar situation WITH ABS.
Take the wheel lockup out of the equation and you are several hundred % more likely to come out of it alive.

I have my flame suit on and ready for the comments. I know that there are many who will not agree and they think they have cat like reflexes and ninja like skills. That's all fine and good but reacting to an unseen and unexpected danger has nothing to do with the riding skills you have.
The only possible way you could gain these skills would be to practice laying a bike down to find your limitations or to purposely put your self in harms way such as have a car run a red light and let you try to avoid it.

Flame suit on and ready!

·
Registered
168 Posts
no suit needed

You don't need a protective suit. I think all bikes should have ABS. All it is going to take for me to shell out the additional money, is to get scared one time. My wife and I were riding the FJR a couple of years ago, and being able to grab, with adrenaline, brake handle and mash the peddle aggressively, and still steer was great. I really doubt if I would have layed it down, or not handled the situation without it, but I was able to feel a lot more confident. I hope I don't reget the non-ABS wing.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally will never own another bike without ABS. I found out the hard way many years ago what CAN happen in an extreme panic braking situation!
It's like anything else in life, you can prepare your self mentally for anything and in a controlled environment, you can do what you have been trained to do.

But you find your self in a situation where your reflexes and sub conscious reacts before your brain has time to evaluate the impending doom and you are not in control.

I know this does not apply to everyone. There are some extremely skilled riders out there that are able to process information and react in a calculated manner with the speed of reflex.
But I also know that there is a very much larger % of riders out there who like to think they have it down and feel like they have the skills to tackle any obstacle you through at them.
That's all fine and good but I know that unless you are ever in a true panic situation where there is absolutely no margin for error, there is a very high probability that you will find the outcome is not what you prepared your self for.

I fall in to the % that thought I had above average skills and could handle a panic situation. I was wrong and I paid for it with a few pounds of skin and a month off work.

It was all over in a fraction of a second and I went down as soon as I grabbed a hand and foot full of brakes. I didn't do it, my reflexes did it. It just all happens so fast!

So it is for this reason that I feel much more confident that I can protect my WIFE and my self in a similar situation WITH ABS.
Take the wheel lockup out of the equation and you are several hundred % more likely to come out of it alive.

I have my flame suit on and ready for the comments. I know that there are many who will not agree and they think they have cat like reflexes and ninja like skills. That's all fine and good but reacting to an unseen and unexpected danger has nothing to do with the riding skills you have.
The only possible way you could gain these skills would be to practice laying a bike down to find your limitations or to purposely put your self in harms way such as have a car run a red light and let you try to avoid it.

Flame suit on and ready!
I neither have "cat-like" reflexes or above average skill. I have bikes to ride solo, I bought the bike specifically for two-up riding. Protection of my wife or daughters in the pillion role is absolutely paramount. The reminder that we are mere mortals scores a point for ABS in my book.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Hi guys.... I always thought it was nonsense to have ABS on a bike (This is my third GW) but yesterday I was very happy that I have it on my new GW! Somehow I always had the feeling that I was a good enough rider to cope with it. I think it saved something yesterday! I would have lost it otherwise! so..... I guess I changed my mind! ABS is a good thing on a GoldWing.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys.... I always thought it was nonsense to have ABS on a bike (This is my third GW) but yesterday I was very happy that I have it on my new GW! Somehow I always had the feeling that I was a good enough rider to cope with it. I think it saved something yesterday! I would have lost it otherwise! so..... I guess I changed my mind! ABS is a good thing on a GoldWing.
Another point in the ABS column

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would say that ABS is a great option but becareful of its true aspect....ABS does not stand for "Absolute Braindead Stupidity"...that is what a guy in our town thought...he bought a 2010 GW with ABS and decided to test out the ABS...he was going too fast on a wet road and thought there was no way to wipe out with ABS brakes...well he found out the hard way...he was lucky...he only ended up with a broken leg...but bike was destroyed.....the moral is buy a bike you are comfortable with and use the equipment appropriately...take the master riders course and rely on your skills and instincts and not the equipment...Just my thoughts....

Ride Safe...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts