Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
If you want that system to really howl, there's the Torqloopz from Torqmaster (not sure how they'd mate with the Cobra 6's) to really let her loose. I've heard my Kingsnakes without the baffles and she howls like a 959 at Laguna with the tap open. Not for the feint of heart and/or daily riding either though. On a Valk or an F6B...woot woot!:laugh2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had two different slip ons on my F6B, and I removed both very quickly because of the overpowering drone at a steady 2.5k-3k rpm cruising. Yes, the mufflers sounded great while accelerating and idling, but the drone was mind numbing.
The pipes were Cobra 6-2-6 and Rush with both 2.0" and 2.25" baffles.
Be prepared for drone unless you use V&H Monster ovals or get rid of the cats and crossover with the Torq-Loopz kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have heard that before that loud mufflers save lives, I'm not so sure about that, but do belive the flashing head lites do.Thats just my better choice. Loud mufflers in my younger days I guess, but not any more. I prefer to just cruise in silence now.
Oh I'm positive on that.

A couple of times I was in the car and go I got changes lanes and I heard a bike but couldn't see it. They were in my blind spot passing me. Had it not been for hearing the exhaust I would have changed lanes.

When I get my wing I'm looking at the two brothers or Rush

·
Premium Member
23,673 Posts
A responsible bike rider will never ride in a car's blind spot, except for brief moment that he's passing by. Eye contact in the vehicles side mirror is vital if you're not passing. Sound should always come second to sight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's the best move Chopin.

I feel that if you have time to pull in the clutch and blip the throttle then why not just lay on the horn and peg the throttle?
Getting out of the way seems like a better move and the horn on my 15 wing sounds like a truck anyway! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I removed the baffle in my 97 1500 trike.. sound is ok but the DRONE is maddening.. the exhaust dumps under the trike rear end.. anyone added fishtails to their pipes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

Does removing the baffles mess the tuning of the carbies on our goldwings....? My father in law has a 1999 shadow and had all kinds of problems with tuning after fitting a set of Vance and Hines pipes.......

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Honda cruisers are not fans of aftermarket pipe systems. The carbed bikes need serious re-jetting and the EFI bikes would do very well with a custom fuel map and PCIII or later. Plus, with the engine design and offset crank pins, they don't sound all that great with open pipes either. On the 1500/1800 Wing pipes like Torquemaster or V&H have no issues that I know of as long as the pipes are fully baffled. The 1800 EFI you can put on the Loopz and run one set of baffles only with no burps at all. I've run mine open just to hear it and it was LOUD but kinda sweet for about 10 minutes. I run them with dual baffles in each side and it has some drone on the highway but I don't find it annoying. Not sure what anyone close behind me might think, I never ride behind myself so. Not like a Screaming Eagle 103/110 or bigger though that's for sure. If I ever do get the desire to go "quiet" again, I still have the stock system.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Honda cruisers are not fans of aftermarket pipe systems. The carbed bikes need serious re-jetting and the EFI bikes would do very well with a custom fuel map and PCIII or later. Plus, with the engine design and offset crank pins, they don't sound all that great with open pipes either. On the 1500/1800 Wing pipes like Torquemaster or V&H have no issues that I know of as long as the pipes are fully baffled. The 1800 EFI you can put on the Loopz and run one set of baffles only with no burps at all. I've run mine open just to hear it and it was LOUD but kinda sweet for about 10 minutes. I run them with dual baffles in each side and it has some drone on the highway but I don't find it annoying. Not sure what anyone close behind me might think, I never ride behind myself so. Not like a Screaming Eagle 103/110 or bigger though that's for sure. If I ever do get the desire to go "quiet" again, I still have the stock system.
I rode behind you for a few miles last year and your pipes sounded fine. I did not realize they were aftermarket. There is a friend of mine that I will not ride behind because of his straight exhaust.
I suppose that it might be possible that I could have been distracted by the chance to ride with "The Administrator." :bow: :facepalm: :pokeit:

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Thanks for that Bob. The only negative I've ever heard was at a GWRRA gathering one afternoon when I only had the single baffles in them. One of the ladies was thoroughly displeased that a Goldwing could actually make noise. All the guys however were very interested and liked them. I do prefer the dual baffles though.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Anyone have 1800 stock exhaust tips sitting on a shelf in the garage ?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
Hey pal, I have a complete set of stock pipes in my garage. If you need the tips, just gimme a shout and they're yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 93 Gl1500 ,love the bike but was wanting a bit more sound.In an experiment I ground off the rivets holding the restrictive stock turndowns in the mufflers and fired the bike.Sounds like a Ferrari.After I decided to keep things that way I trimmed the remaining pipe flush with the muffler end and had 4" chrome dumps bumped up slightly to slip over the weld on the muffler end and welded the with my MIG on the inside so the weld isn't visible.I've had many compliments on the modification and the sound difference.If anyone would like pics of the finished product flip me your email and I'll send them off.
Thank you for your post

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
Anyone have 1800 stock exhaust tips sitting on a shelf in the garage ?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
Sorry Lee, I only have about 600. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently installed the Cobra 6x2x6 pipes on my 2015 and really like the sound. I guess it does sound a bit like a Turbo Porsche howling under load. It does drone a bit but I like hearing the engine working now. Seems to have freed up the engine a bit and faster to rev but it could just be the placebo effect :) I also like the black look of the pipes and how they extend out the back past the bottom of the bags. I'm keeping the stock mufflers incase the novelty wears off. I need a long trip to decide if they are a keeper or not...

141 - 160 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.