Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to see a funny discolouration on my OEM windshield. Throughout the entire shield, there is getting to be a prismatic (blue/green/pink) hazing and I think it's getting worse as the days go by. I've never used anything but soap and water to clean it, and buff with pledge once in a while like I have with every other windsield I've had. Never seen anything like it. There is also a small patch in the lower left corner of the Navi display (same s#+* different pile). Has this happened to anyone else? I must have gotten some kind of contaminant from somewhere, just don't know where or when. It wasn't there last season, and the bike spent the winter in the garage with the soft cover on it. I'm going to try the pledge thing today and see what happens. With all the conflicting info on replacement windshieds, I don't want to go that route yet.:confused::(

·
Registered
515 Posts
Budoka, I have a stupid question, do you see this prismatic effect with the naked eye or through sunglasses? I notice the same prism effect on my windshield when wearing sunglasses with a polarized coating on them. I noticed your post on the windshield cleaning thread, could it be an effect from the cleaning product?

Or maybe its just a state of mind:cool:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Duh Whacker, pay attention to the post, pledge is the polish of choice.:eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have noticed the same rainbow like colors in my windshield from time to time. I will have to check it with and without sunglasses. I never even thought about that. I do notice however, that when I drive down a freshly paved roadway, the rainbow effect becomes more brilliant. I am thinking the oil fumes from the new asphalt is radiating up and affecting the windshield. It goes away when I drive past the new road onto an older road.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll 2nd the polarized glasses phenomenon, if you're wearing them. I first noticed this when I bought my first bass boat. I wear prescription glasses and I had a set of sunglasses with polarized lenses made so I could see stumps under water and not hit them with the trolling motor. Found out that I couldn't read any of the LCD chart recorders with the glasses on. Screens would range from a prismatic effect to completely black when viewed through the glasses.

If you're getting the prism effect without glasses, I can't offer any suggestions.

Hoss

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'll be jiggered! Just went out to the bike and no glasses, no prism effect. Put the glasses on and there it is. Not the brightest bulb on the tree with that one LOL. At least I don't have to worry about getting a new screen.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
402 Posts
My experience with polarized lenses is that if you look at a LCD display and it looks dark, tilt your head a little sideways one way or the other and it should become visible, but still dark because of the shaded lenses.

Another plus for poarized lenses is that I have yet to hit an underwater stump on my Wing. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Well I'll be jiggered! Just went out to the bike and no glasses, no prism effect. Put the glasses on and there it is. Not the brightest bulb on the tree with that one LOL. At least I don't have to worry about getting a new screen.:rolleyes:
lucky you didn't see a purple haze -)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When it's time for a new windshield, try the F4 custom shields, They are expensive but it is probably the last one you will ever have to buy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My experience with polarized lenses is

Another plus for poarized lenses is that I have yet to hit an underwater stump on my Wing. :D

And I have yet hit hit a Dog with my Jetboat!!! LOL :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts