Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to talk myself into buying a Gold Wing again, after 10 years of not owning one. I recently purchased a super sport bike (the fastest / most powerful production bike ever built). Every time I come back from riding the super sport bike, it is a test of physical endurance and mind control to get her back home again. Can someone please remind me if there are any pains associated with riding long distances on the Gold Wing. I remember my feet sometimes hurting a bit from my boots and my clutch hand getting tired in bumper to bumper traffic, but I cannot remember any terrible pains in the shoulder, back, neck, or anything like that. Am I trying to delude myself into buying the Gold Wing (i.e., mentally blocking out any old uncomfortable memories), or is the Gold Wing truly pain free on long rides?

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
I'm trying to talk myself into buying a Gold Wing again, after 10 years of not owning one. I recently purchased a super sport bike (the fastest / most powerful production bike ever built). Every time I come back from riding the super sport bike, it is a test of physical endurance and mind control to get her back home again. Can someone please remind me if there are any pains associated with riding long distances on the Gold Wing. I remember my feet sometimes hurting a bit from my boots and my clutch hand getting tired in bumper to bumper traffic, but I cannot remember any terrible pains in the shoulder, back, neck, or anything like that. Am I trying to delude myself into buying the Gold Wing (i.e., mentally blocking out any old uncomfortable memories), or is the Gold Wing truly pain free on long rides?
The longest I rode in one day was 620 miles , I never had no pains at all , was upset when the ride
Was over , the Wing is so comfortable

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
When I first started riding long distances on the wing, I had a tendency to grip to grips too tightly which made my neck ache. Over time, I learned to loosen my grip a bit and haven't had problems recently.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Probably the most comfortable motorcycle made. But you should know that because you said it's been 10 years since you owned one. What year was your previous Wing? Sounds like you ride a Busa. A sport bike is not built for comfort but for performance and the Wing is built for comfort and pretty decent performance in the hands of the right rider.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
I think it all depends on your definition of long rides. I have some pain no matter what....usually neck and back. I'm always moving around to help with the pains.

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
No pain on a recent 700 mile in one day trip.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Some of the guys install a Corbin seat or other after market seats. Others use an Airhawk air cushion seat pad or gel pad. I use a beaded seat cover in summer for heat and an Alaska sheepskin in winter as both increase my seating comfort and riding range.

·
Premium Member
24,140 Posts
On the threshold of 56 years here. At 50 I bought a 1300 VTX and rode it for three years. 200 miles was my limit and I could barely walk to the front door. Today, a 200 mile ride I consider a breakfast run. Are my usual aches and pains gone on the Wing ? No. But I can go farther and when I get home I can walk to the front door.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
the zx-14 is a nice short haul bike if it fits you right but it doesn't sound like it fits you well

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
Wings are for Comfort & the long haul but they are not for everyone. At 42 you are a young man. Take one for a ride again & see for yourself.

By the way I'm on a 1 yr less threshold (55) as my good friend Chopin & last year I went on a weekend ride with a few of my GWOF buddies that covered over 700 miles, rode a 1986 Nighthawk 700S & had no issues at all. A bit different than your sport bike that's for sure but fun none the less.

Good Luck with your quest.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Getting old sucks the cure is the Wing. Well the Wing is more like therapy for years of riding other type of bikes.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I know what you mean about limitations of body, they do get a little more pronounced as we go, but so far am not having any particular pains from riding. Course I like to treat myself with a nice Hotel, with a pool and a Steak house next door if possible.

·
Registered
183 Posts
when i got back on the bike after many years of not riding nothing but trail bikes. the wing seamed massive, i found i was trying to throw it around, that don't work with a heavy bike, and i had a death grip on the bars, I found out real fast to relax. after a few minor adjustments bars, seat, hwy pegs. it's good to go. still get a dead rear, my 1100 had the sadlemen 2 seat but it was dead, my 1200 just had it recovered. i'm good for about 8hrs, so i am looking for some gel pads now

·
Administrator
15,388 Posts
I also can go for long days (400 to 600 miles) and multiple long days very easily on my GL1800 Wing. I'm tall so do feel a little cramped in the leg area but not bad enough to let it worry me. Sometimes I use an Airhawk pad that raises me a little and that eases the knees some. I have a friend who added a custom seat that raises him up and sets him back a little. I've sat on it and it does feel better but puts me farther from the bars. I've looked into a set of risers but have not taken the hook yet. It feels fine stock and while I could make it better it doesn't bother me enough to make me take the plunge. I think you would like it but everyone is different.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
lawlist,

At your age, you are probably experiencing the early symtoms of WDMAG disorder. It continues for men as they age, in sharp contrast :eek: to females. I'm sure we'll be a protected "class" in no time!

"Where Did My *ss Go?" syndrome requires adjustment. Never ride with a wallet or comb in your back pockets, not even a gum wrapper! Second, get a gel pad for your seat. Third, and if you have the money, "bun implants" are still considered masculine for sufferers of this condition!:D

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I think the simplistic solution here and really is the one that eventuates for all of us with every physical activity we do as we age is to take more breaks. Instead of stopping only when gassing up every 150-180 miles, cut it back to 100 or even less if needed. Riding a touring bike need not be an endurance contest but is designed for enjoyment. Break the ride up into more mini breaks and stop to smell the cow manure.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Even though the ZX14 is an incredible machine, it's a far cry from a long distance luxo-tourer like a Goldwing. It's what these beasts are made for...the North American super slab. I also ride a sport bike besides my Wing ('03 RC51) so I can act as a pretty good judge as to the distance advantages of the Wing. One thing to remember though, Any prolonged period of time in one position on ANY bike leads to discomfort of some sort. You'll still have to vary your foot and seating every so often. I adjust about every 15-20 minutes and have done up to 12 hours at a go without any serious issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.