Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost got a 2018 Goldwing, but the GPS limitations and the speculated front fork 'Honda-savings' scared me away.

Any improvements on the forks on the 2019? Any news on the 2020?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
What issue with the forks ? Probably no major changes until 22.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
There are no forks on the 2018, its the new wishbone suspension, which is fabulous. I just turned 10,000 miles over the past six months and it is a fabulous riding machine. What GPS limitations are you talking about? I have use mine a
great deal. I have not noticed any problems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am concern about the fork structures Max from Traxxion has posted on U Tube.

The GPS apparently is set up such as it does not work with Android? am I right about that?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Well I guess that explains the fork issue . There aren't any.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Not to diss Max and his desire to make the front suspension on any bike better (he does have a product to sell), there are no inherent problems with the 2018-19 Goldwing front end. Just as the front 'forks' on the former model may have been an archaic design (outdated and not the best), they did work. Any suspension can be improved upon no mater what it's on be it a touring bike, sport bike, cruiser, off road, whatever. If that weren't true, companies like Racetech, Ohlins, Kyle Racing, and yes, Traxxion et al would not exist.

The GPS isn't an issue with Android, it's a headbutt thing with the Apple Carplay being a different operating system just like a computer. The Android based phones will work with the Goldwing, it's is just that the Carplay is designed by and for Apple technology so some of the features will not interface with Android devices. The GPS still functions as it should, but you won't hear "what's her name" answering your questions or providing you with voice prompts. I personally don't like the Apple system on any front (I will surrender up my PC when they lift my cold, dead fingers from the keyboard), but that isn't why I don't own a 2018-19 model at all. I just can't justify dropping the amount of coin necessary for ownership when I have a perfectly sound and trusty steed in the garage that I won't live long enough to wear out.

OMG, did I just say something about practicality in my motorcycling life?:surprise:

·
Premium Member
631 Posts

The GPS apparently is set up such as it does not work with Android? am I right about that?
I have seen no issues with the forks or linkage setup - Sometime people raise issues for sales purposes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Here is the problem, Max from Traxxion , he has a product to sell. I guess anything can be made better but it's a touring machine, and set up for comfort and reliability

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would not have bought the new wing if the Traxxion suspension wasn't available but form your own opinion. I had to change the tie rod before 6,000 it was out of spec, replaced with the Traxxion tie rod,once and done. I aways figure on changing the seat ,windshield and handle bar setbacks no surprise there. I have no problem with the GPS, it takes me from point A to B no fuss.
The major flaw the DCT Tour model has is that it is habit forming with no cure known :grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I weigh 270lbs the stock forks work just fine. The only problems I have are the trunk does not like to indicate closed and the compartment by your crotch is hard to open. They may need lubricated I have not got to it yet. I have put close to 4000 miles on it. I have bottomed the forks once by hitting a large pothole. That is PA for you. I love the bike. The price is a draw back though. The bike handles great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I had the same two problems with my 2018. When you slam the trunk, it still shows open. Just push down firmly and it will then indicate shut. The front compartment was very hard to open. I put some WD-40 on the connections and now it works perfect. Very easy to open and close. Squirt some WD-40 On the trunk connections and it will shut much easier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the same two problems with my 2018. When you slam the trunk, it still shows open. Just push down firmly and it will then indicate shut. The front compartment was very hard to open. I put some WD-40 on the connections and now it works perfect. Very easy to open and close. Squirt some WD-40 On the trunk connections and it will shut much easier.
There is a little fix for the center cubby, two washers under the screw in the picture and it works like it should have from new.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
and the rear trunk latches can be adjusted to close better. loosen up the screws and pull down on the latch. while holding down, tighten the screws

·
Registered
21 Posts
and the rear trunk latches can be adjusted to close better. loosen up the screws and pull down on the latch. while holding down, tighten the screws

great!!! you answered my question I just posted. thanks...I will try that tomorrow.

since my bike is only one week old, the issue I have is I want to ride it all day every day.....I do have some other things to do....I think!

·
Registered
70 Posts
great!!! you answered my question I just posted. thanks...I will try that tomorrow.

since my bike is only one week old, the issue I have is I want to ride it all day every day.....I do have some other things to do....I think!
yea, i know what you mean....over 10,000 miles and i still cant get enough. i was hesitant about buying a touring bike because i didnt think id ride it enough. my buddy told me, "buy it, youll make time to ride it"...he was right.

look up traxxion dynamics on youtube. max mcallister has a videos on correcting it and some other issues that may pop up.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
The rear trunk warning is a pain and is actually unneeded as the trunk unlatched will not fly open unless the bike goes airborne. The Saddle bag warnings are good and have a proper function. On every GL I have owned I reach into the latch with a long screwdriver and bend the micro switch arms so no matter what the warning never activates so now I can even carry large items with the trump partially open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts