Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to talk myself into buying a Gold Wing again, after 10 years of not owning one. I recently purchased a super sport bike (the fastest / most powerful production bike ever built). Every time I come back from riding the super sport bike, it is a test of physical endurance and mind control to get her back home again. Can someone please remind me if there are any pains associated with riding long distances on the Gold Wing. I remember my feet sometimes hurting a bit from my boots and my clutch hand getting tired in bumper to bumper traffic, but I cannot remember any terrible pains in the shoulder, back, neck, or anything like that. Am I trying to delude myself into buying the Gold Wing (i.e., mentally blocking out any old uncomfortable memories), or is the Gold Wing truly pain free on long rides?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm trying to talk myself into buying a Gold Wing again, after 10 years of not owning one. I recently purchased a super sport bike (the fastest / most powerful production bike ever built). Every time I come back from riding the super sport bike, it is a test of physical endurance and mind control to get her back home again. Can someone please remind me if there are any pains associated with riding long distances on the Gold Wing. I remember my feet sometimes hurting a bit from my boots and my clutch hand getting tired in bumper to bumper traffic, but I cannot remember any terrible pains in the shoulder, back, neck, or anything like that. Am I trying to delude myself into buying the Gold Wing (i.e., mentally blocking out any old uncomfortable memories), or is the Gold Wing truly pain free on long rides?
The longest I rode in one day was 620 miles , I never had no pains at all , was upset when the ride
Was over , the Wing is so comfortable

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
When I first started riding long distances on the wing, I had a tendency to grip to grips too tightly which made my neck ache. Over time, I learned to loosen my grip a bit and haven't had problems recently.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Probably the most comfortable motorcycle made. But you should know that because you said it's been 10 years since you owned one. What year was your previous Wing? Sounds like you ride a Busa. A sport bike is not built for comfort but for performance and the Wing is built for comfort and pretty decent performance in the hands of the right rider.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I have seen a few posts complaining of pain between the shoulders on long rides. Everyone of them has installed handlebar riser kit to alleviate the problem. Most bring the bars up about an inch and back an inch or more. You can check out some of them at Wingstuff or other online sites selling Goldwing accessories. They're not too expensive and seem to help. That being said, I think you'll find that the VAST majority of Goldwing riders will agree that this is the BEST bike for comfort on long distance rides. Good luck, and of course, when you do get the new bike you MUST post pictures of it. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 1997 Gold Wing that I bought new and rode 15,000 miles between buying it and selling it in 2002. I now have a 2012 ZX-14R. But my memory is sometimes very selective -- only remembering the good things.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have not had my wing for very long, so I dont have a whole lot of input, but I can say that I have not noticed any pains after a full day of riding.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I think it all depends on your definition of long rides. I have some pain no matter what....usually neck and back. I'm always moving around to help with the pains.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
No pain on a recent 700 mile in one day trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am going to be 42 in July. I have been working mostly standing up (adjustable height desk) for about 1.5 years, and I use a cushion with tailbone cutout when sitting in the car. I did not need a special seat when I had my Gold Wing 10 years ago. It never occurred to me, until today, that my body might no longer be able to ride a bike for long periods of time (like the olden days) and this may also be why the new super sport bike is killing me when traveling 200 miles in a day. It is funny how I never equated the two concepts until today -- i.e., sitting at a desk versus sitting on a motorcycle. That is what I meant by my having a case of "selective memory".

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Some of the guys install a Corbin seat or other after market seats. Others use an Airhawk air cushion seat pad or gel pad. I use a beaded seat cover in summer for heat and an Alaska sheepskin in winter as both increase my seating comfort and riding range.

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
On the threshold of 56 years here. At 50 I bought a 1300 VTX and rode it for three years. 200 miles was my limit and I could barely walk to the front door. Today, a 200 mile ride I consider a breakfast run. Are my usual aches and pains gone on the Wing ? No. But I can go farther and when I get home I can walk to the front door.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
the zx-14 is a nice short haul bike if it fits you right but it doesn't sound like it fits you well

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Wings are for Comfort & the long haul but they are not for everyone. At 42 you are a young man. Take one for a ride again & see for yourself.

By the way I'm on a 1 yr less threshold (55) as my good friend Chopin & last year I went on a weekend ride with a few of my GWOF buddies that covered over 700 miles, rode a 1986 Nighthawk 700S & had no issues at all. A bit different than your sport bike that's for sure but fun none the less.

Good Luck with your quest.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Getting old sucks the cure is the Wing. Well the Wing is more like therapy for years of riding other type of bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had considered a Concours 14. Being 45 with kids old enough to take care of themselves I felt wife and I needed to get away a bit more often on our own like we used to. Drove one at a Kawasaki driving event in town last year. Nice bike. Like it alot.
HOWEVER, being 45 and knowing that whatever I get will be around for awhile I decided a Goldwing was more appropriate for us. The Concours does not have a great passenger area. No backrest unless you add it, and it looks just like that...added on. It is also less spacious/useable, by not having as much stowage space.
Being bikeless for 20 years, I am pretty much back in the noob status. My first long ride was 120mi to destination. My neck ached, my hands felt kinda like being stuck on the grips. Then I realized, on my second stop, how tensed up I was and relaxed. Got much better after that. That ride was through metro 6-10 lane traffic in Kansas City and onto county blacktops full of hills and turns into the Missouri Ozarks. It was a bit nerve racking because I was concentrating so hard to make sure nothing bad happened. Now that I have gotten much more used to it, I love it. And not one bit of regret for not looking harder at the Concours.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I know what you mean about limitations of body, they do get a little more pronounced as we go, but so far am not having any particular pains from riding. Course I like to treat myself with a nice Hotel, with a pool and a Steak house next door if possible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts