Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 GL1500 GoldWing w/ 68000+ miles on her. Can anyone share there experiances with me? I have original Owners Manual and Repair Manual that came withe the MC. Any feedback will be great.

Thanks Members and Guest

Boats'
o^~O

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
A lot of us here have owned 1500 Gold Wings, Great bikes, at the mileage you have I would look at replacing the timing belts and the alternator brushes, cruise filter and sub filter. Along with other regular maintenance items these are often overlooked and can cause you trouble down the line. Keep it running good with regular oil changes, anti freeze changes, brake & clutch fluids change and air and fuel filter changes and it will at least another 200,000 trouble free miles. All these are easy things to do.

·
Registered
455 Posts
At 68,000 you are just getting started.

I traded off my 1990 at 55,000 and it was still running perfect. Because of the age not the mileage I would check the belts. Be careful and don't get the new one's mixed up with the old one's.

In the front of the alternator you will find 6 I think rubber bumpers, Replace these, the cost from the Honda dealer is around $16.00.

Make sure the rear splines have been greased. This usually takes place during rear tire service.

If you are not familiar with the service history, change all the fluids including the brakes, and clutch hydraulic fluids.

Pay close attention to the fork seals, there is no specifice time frame to address this issue, If and when they began to leak it is no great problem to make the repair. Look on ebay and pickup a service manual, around 40.00 this is a good price plus shipping.
There are other maintenance items that will need to be addressed but you will see them in the service manual, nothing you can't handle.
Ride safe

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
My 1993 has been excellent, the alternator went south last year and was replaced with a Compufire, please bear in mind this was the original, the timing belts were replaced. Fluid changes all around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts