Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a simple question. When I pulll my wing into my garage the antennae hits my garage door. Can I just remove the plastic cap at the top and cut 1-2'' off and replace the cap, or are there wires in there that will be damaged? I know I can use that gizzmo and drop the antennae to 90degrees, but I don't want to do that every time i go in and out ?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Had the same issue on my HD Ultras.
Never bothered me-just entered/exited slowly!
If it's an AM/FM antenna-shouldn't bother reception much to cut off enough length from it.
If it is a CB antenna or an AM/FM/CB antenna, do not shorten it as that will affect the SWR for the CB!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'd use the slow entry/exit method before cutting the antenna. If you shorten the antenna you affect the flex in the whip (wire) part of the antenna which makes it more susceptible to bending.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Mine strikes the garage door upon entry and exit, I simply fold it down and then set it back up, its no bother to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I must have an extra tall garage door.. My antenna does not come any where near hitting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your CB antenna (on 1800) should be 1/2 inch shorter than your Radio antenna if it has had the SWR tuned. Your post didn't specify which antenna your referring to. My friends trike's radio antenna was scraping along the top of the garage frame but that was due to the change in height because of triking. We just nipped off what we needed for him to get in and out of the garage without scraping. The orange tip wouldn't come off, I think its pressed on in some way. We just cut off about 3/4 of an inch and it cleared the doorframe. Didn't effect his radio.

Best of luck

Daveo

·
Registered
154 Posts
DeanW,
I wanted a shorter antenna a while ago. Posted similar question in this forum. Joe in Ca posted a link (same as this thread). I bought the short rubber antenna for AM/FM off eBay. Shipped quick and went on in minutes. Looks much better than the OEM giant whip. It works fine for AM/FM radio. I don't have a CB but the seller has one for CB use also.

Thanks Joe for that link!

Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
DeanW,
I wanted a shorter antenna a while ago. Posted similar question in this forum. Joe in Ca posted a link (same as this thread). I bought the short rubber antenna for AM/FM off eBay. Shipped quick and went on in minutes. Looks much better than the OEM giant whip. It works fine for AM/FM radio. I don't have a CB but the seller has one for CB use also.

Thanks Joe for that link!

Rob
Since it doesn't look like that antenna folds down, is there any problem putting a cover on your bike?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Swede,
I did not test the OEM against the short rubber antenna from eBAy, but in my location it works OK for most AM/FM stations when I am crusing about. The guy selling them has a decent return policy if you don't like it. I would not hesitate if you are on the fence.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Sorry Swede, but what antenna?
On the first page of this thread, was a link to a set of short antennas for the GW, I was curious as to the reception of them. I think most believe the longer the antenna, the better the reception.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sorry Swede, it's not that I'm blind, sometimes I just don't see all that well. My experience with shorter flexible antennas is they work well in close range to the transmitting staion, but their efficiency fades as you get farther away much quicker than the longer metal antennas. Now that being said, that's going back a good many years so they could be much better now.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
My 1990 Goldwing has original fold down antenna. Did they change the design for newer bikes?
Nope, only if you buy an after market one..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts