Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I'm an idiot. That said, when backing my wing out of the garage a little bit ago my left side antenna, the one with the "bulb" in the middle, caught on my garage door and broke off. It broke the white plastic interior of the "bulb" at the top of the wire wrap. Is this the CB antenna? Can it be fixed or do I need to get a new one? Do I have to buy the whole antenna kit, or just part? Lastly, anyone have a spare they want to sell? Thanks, and sorry for so many questions.

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
Yes, that is the CB antenna. I don't believe it can be repaired, but I might be wrong. You're not an idiot, we have all done something like that one time or another!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can't tell what bike you have but I have heard several say to go with the OEM antenna. It is a very easy install, espically since yours already has the holes drilled in the side of the trunk.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That 'bulb' is the centre booster for the CB. I got a replacement upper 'whip' end of the antenna for a customer a couple years back, but don't know if the booster and lower whip are available. I'll check for the OEM replacement and get you a part # if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
FYI- The Wing OEM and other CB antennas "center loads". There are "bottom load" & "top load" antenna also made although, top loads are few, if any, these days.
They are not boosters. They are wound coils of antenna wire that allows for shorter antennas as the unloaded CB antenna must be
102"s long to work properly.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thanks tf, I forgot the nomenclature (c.r.a.f.t. disease again) about the antennas. Sorry gothmog, haven't had any luck on part # yet or availability; just the whole antenna kit on the parts breakdown.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks tf, I forgot the nomenclature (c.r.a.f.t. disease again) about the antennas. Sorry gothmog, haven't had any luck on part # yet or availability; just the whole antenna kit on the parts breakdown.
I posted a link to the antennas & parts for them that are available from Sierra Electronics:confused:
Here is a link to the part I believe you need, if you have a 1800 Wing.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AO-GL18/15-ANT-STAFF
If not an 1800-go to Sierra's home page-get their phone and call them. I'm sure they can take care of you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do not use your CB without a good antenna hooked up, if you do key the mike without the antenna it will mess up the guts of the CB. Sorry to be so technical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts