Honda Goldwing Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Although I puttered about on mini-bikes as a child, and borrowed dirt bikes as a teen, I never had proper training, license, and my own bike until I was 58 years young.

In 2016, bought my first bike - a 2007 Kawasaki Versys 650, good to learn on but not so good for long highway trips.
Sold it in 2018, and bought my 2003 Honda ST1300, and rode from Edmonton to California and back that summer. Loved it on the highway!
This year, just bought my 2004 Wing. I always wanted a Wing - they are the ultimate bike in my mind, and after logging some 30,000 kms on my ST on the highways and bi-ways of Canada and the US, I can't wait to get the Wing on the road - as soon as the snow melts!

I love long-distance riding and touring. Nothing compares to the feeling of riding a motorcycle!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Well it certainly is the season for polling, so here's mine:
What bike(s) did you own before you got your wing, and what made you make the switch?
Holly Cow! Let's see I've had over 100 so all of them? As far as tour bikes I went from a Yamaha Venture Royal to a GL1500 which I did not like then the 1800. I guess I am hooked on the 1800 but still have a soft spot for the Victory motorcycles and I have one of those. I also have a 1500 Valkyrie which is my all around favorite back country bike. Worst bikes ever? Top of the list BMW K1200 and then the HD Ultra, HD roadking and XR750

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same as above, have had a bike since i was 4 years old,which is the longest streak i have been without a bike. Started with a 1968 Z50A, multiple dirtbikes until got a 2001 Yamaha Roadstar silverado, then a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Harley Ultra Classic, to 05 Goldwing, back to Harley Ultra Classic, now to my new 2020 DCT Tour.
My 05 GW was a better bike than my first Ultra classic, just too big for me, was not comfortable with the size and weight of the bike, so went back to Ultra Classic. When the 2018 GW came out, i loved the look, loved the new size. Was not until i saw the 2020 White/blackout version did the urge get too strong, so i pulled the trigger on it. Was tired of the heat, noise, vibration on the Ultra, and wanted the peace of mind of having better reliability with the GW, not to mention it came with a total of 8 years of warranty after purchasing the extended warranty!
I compare the switch from the HD to the GW with the switch my wife made, she had a 04 BMW Z4 that was a piece of crap, purchased a 2016 Mercedes SLK250 hardtop convertable, the Mercedes is light years ahead of her old BMW, same with my new wing, light years ahead in style and ride of my Ultra! This thing is SMOOTH and fast and SMOOTH and comfortable!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
My first bike was a 2006 Honda ST 1300
Rode it for a year and purchased my first GoldWing in 2011
It was a 2010 model, the last year it was made in the USA
I replaced that bike in 2018 with the last year they made the second generation
GL 1800 (2017)
I like this bike as much as the previous one.
It is hard to wait to get on the road again
These 7 months of Winter are sure dragging on!
Zak

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cushman Eagle scooter..first ride that hooked me; Honda 305 dream; Triumpth 650 trophy special: Honda GL 1000; Harley FLHTUCU, ultra classic. About to buy either a 2018, or 2020 Goldwing tour dct. It will be easier to balance and handle than my current Harley, and my ears need the quiet, and my 74 year old body needs the smooth ride.
After all these years, I still love every mile on two wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Buell Ulysses I kept, still a far better bike. The Wing I use to flatten the gravel on my Driveway. Lols. Kidding the wife and comfort.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First bike that I owned I purchased in '95 - was an 84 CB 900 with the dual tranny so it had 10 speeds. Traded that in a year later on a beautifully maintained '84 1200 Gold Wing which I rode until 2001 and then moved to a 2001 VTX 1300. Great bike, but as my wife stated, not a Gold Wing. Purchased a used 2001 1800 Wing in 2003. Had a couple of other bikes in between - 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 and 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, but came back to a Wing in 2018 with a beautiful green 97 1500se with just a tad under 25,000 original miles. Replaced the timing belts as a precaution and need to rebuild or replace the front shocks when I can. Other than that she rides like a champ. Wife is very happy to be back on the Wing. What more can I say? ;)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
69 CB 350 Honda
72 Honda 750
75 Honda 750
70 Honda 750
82 Honda 900 Custom (2 of them)
75 Kawasaki 500 triple 2 stroke
Ducati (don't remember what year or size)
81 Gold Wing.
85 Gold Wing\
92 Gold Wing
98 Gold Wing SE
02 Gold Wing
08 Gold Wing
09 Kawasaki Concours
03 Shadow 1100
?? Shadow 750
98 Shadow VT1100 R
97 Gold Wing SE
05 Shadow 750
Looking now for my next bike

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well it certainly is the season for polling, so here's mine:
What bike(s) did you own before you got your wing, and what made you make the switch?
It's an ancient thread, but what the heck...

First bike, a CT70 (Trail), then my brother's CB100, all dirt and whatever road to get there.
Mid-life-crisis bike VF700F (Magna).
Pre-retirement bike GL1800A, because buttons. So. many. buttons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honda VLX, at age 42. Realized that I'd bought too small a bike on the third ride.
Honda Shadow VT1100 Spirit, at age 43.
Honda GL1800, at age 60. It's the bike I dreamed of owning for the last seventeen years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
'50 panhead, '60 45, '74 Norton 850 Roadster(still ride it), '80 Yamaha 650, '77 XLCR, '79 GL 1000(still chugging). The Norton & GL remain for life because they've earned their hearth & home.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was riding a VTX 1800 (when they made them) and I rode with some windingers. One time, one of the guys let me ride his Wing around the corner...I couldn't get the impression that bike left on my bones off of me, so I bought my first wing: 2002. Since then I had 4 RT and I keep switching back to a Wing

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although I puttered about on mini-bikes as a child, and borrowed dirt bikes as a teen, I never had proper training, license, and my own bike until I was 58 years young.

In 2016, bought my first bike - a 2007 Kawasaki Versys 650, good to learn on but not so good for long highway trips.
Sold it in 2018, and bought my 2003 Honda ST1300, and rode from Edmonton to California and back that summer. Loved it on the highway!
This year, just bought my 2004 Wing. I always wanted a Wing - they are the ultimate bike in my mind, and after logging some 30,000 kms on my ST on the highways and bi-ways of Canada and the US, I can't wait to get the Wing on the road - as soon as the snow melts!

I love long-distance riding and touring. Nothing compares to the feeling of riding a motorcycle!
My first bike was a 400 Suzuki Apache Second bike another this time a new Apache. Road it in national enduro . 360 Yamaha enduro, Royal Enfield 206 500 bullet/500cc iron barrel with a cozy ROCKET sidecar. GL1800 with Roadsmith trike. Getting older, but not slower.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts